The truth about weight lifting for women is this:

Mrs P

Female Moderator
While you are on a weight lifting regimen, the right type of hormone is required if you want to bulk up. This hormone is testosterone. The testosterone level in a woman is much lower than the level in a man, and so in many if not all cases, the woman is not even physically capable of building up large muscles even if she tried.

In fact, because muscles require less room than fat does, when women strength train, they tend to actually lose inches rather than gaining them. So not only are there a number of physical benefits such as an increase in the metabolism, a decrease in the risk of osteoporosis, an increase in strength and so on, weight lifting for women will actually help a woman to slim down as well.

Research has shown for a long time now that women can add 30% lean muscle or more to their bodies and still end up looking much thinner, feeling much stronger and appearing much firmer than ever before. So you could add 30% more lean muscle to your body and still look beautiful and feminine, rather than bulky.

Below are my top 10 benefits of weight training for women:

1) Increased Metabolic Rate -
Here is one of the most important benefits of strength training for women. We always want to discover the secrets to weight loss… well here is the first secret! Strength training increases your metabolic rate by increasing the calories you burn on a daily basis. The more calories you burn, the more chance you have to drop body fat.

2) Increasing and Restoring Bone Density - Strength training prevents and fights osteoporosis.

3)Increased Lean Muscle Mass
Note: You will not get big and bulky by strength training! You simply do not have enough testosterone in your body. Yes, if you train for hours and hours and dedicate your life to becoming a bodybuilder you can bulk up.

For every pound of lean muscle mass that you have, you burn 35-50 calories per day!
So, If you have 10 pounds of lean muscle mass then you burn between 350-500 calories. If you have 20 pounds you burn between 700 and 1000 calories per day! This is one of the biggest benefits of strength training for women.

4) Injury Prevention -
Strength training strengthens our muscles and tendons. The stronger we are the less chance of an injury. This is especially important as we grow older. The benefits of strength training for women and men are highly touted for injury prevention.

5) Improved Balance
Especially important as we grow older. Strength training builds a strong foundation. Strengthening our legs and core section means an increase in overall balance and coordination.

6) Decreased Risk of Coronary Disease
Strength training can reduce your blood pressure. It can also decrease your cholesterol levels. These benefits of strength training for women alone are a great reason to begin your program today. Heart disease is one of the highest (if not the highest) killer of women in America every year.

7) Aids in Rehabilitation and Recovery Strengthening the muscles around our joints is one of the best ways to prevent and recover from an injury. For example, the best way to recover from a knee injury is to strengthen the quads and calves.

8) Enhanced Performance in Sports
Exercise and Life In General - The benefits of strength training for women all boil down to one point- a better overall quality of life. We can perform our favorite activities with more ease and less pain. We are able to increase our health and mental state from a regular strength training routine.

9) Aging Gracefully
With less falls and less injuries we are able to age gracefully. Our lean and toned bodies create a warm and strong persona. Strength training is a major factor in aging well. Enhancing our muscles and reducing body fat are prime ways to prevent sagging body parts too

10) Feeling Better and Looking Better
I don’t think it is much of a secret that we all want to look great. We are all searching for ways to look young.
Strength training is a vital part of a fitness routine.

So ladies don't be afraid to lift !!

Great post Mrs P!

I look better at 40 than I have in my whole life and it's due to lifting. I have yet to get "too bulky" like some women fear.

Great post Mrs P!

I look better at 40 than I have in my whole life and it's due to lifting. I have yet to get "too bulky" like some women fear.

Thanks RockinBrunette,

I feel the same way, I'm, 34 and feel better about my body now in my 30's than I did in my 20's.
I know must girls here know how lifting is so beneficial for women, but I see so many guests in the women's forum everyday that might not know this that's why I made this thread.

BTW, you look great if that's u on your avi..~ You go Girl~ :dance2:
you're making 40 look like the new 20...lol

Thanks so much! Yes that is me...three days ago (natty), lifting for under a year now.

I used to do only cardio in my 20s, but my shape was terrible. I try to encourage my female friends to lift, but they won't. They insist on cardio only. sigh

The best thing I have gained from lifting is confidence and...being proud of myself, I guess you could say. It's indescribable, but I wish all females could feel it.

And thanks for all of your posts. I've been doing a lot of reading on here and learning a lot. =)

Thanks so much! Yes that is me...three days ago (natty), lifting for under a year now.

I used to do only cardio in my 20s, but my shape was terrible. I try to encourage my female friends to lift, but they won't. They insist on cardio only. sigh

The best thing I have gained from lifting is confidence and...being proud of myself, I guess you could say. It's indescribable, but I wish all females could feel it.

And thanks for all of your posts. I've been doing a lot of reading on here and learning a lot. =)

Thanks Girl ;)
I have a few girl friends that are Cardio bunnies too..
I was a runner for many years and was very lean, but was very thin.
After I had my last child I coudln't get rid of the 15 lbs I gained..
My husband was a member here & I joined, I had been lifting for about 3 years, but not seriously, I've been lifting seriously now for about 1 1/2. I have learned a lot here too.

Is really great to feel good about yourself, nothing gives you confidence and powers your body and mind like having a good self image. :)

Although I agree with this post, I'd change it slightly and say resistance training rather than weight lifting. But I'm extra like that!! For me most conventional weight training exercises aren't functional and don't have much use for strengthening the body as a whole. Bodybuilding and body strengthening aren't always the same in my mind because the sport of bodybuilding is to stimulate muscle growth to improve the shape, not always about having the whole body functioning or firing lots of different muscle groups at once. Life in general hardly ever involves movements that isolate body parts, most of the time we move lots of parts at once and in sequence. :)

Great post, I totally agree. I'm not that big a fan of excessive cardio either, I'd much rather be lifting weights/strength training then doing cardio. And I'm also in the best shape of my life at 31, I was way outta shape in my 20's, I wouldnt have been caught dead in a bikini, and now I have a draw full of them :)

Well my friend! A great post once again. I totally agree with it. Muscle takes up far less space than fat so if you lift you will create a much leaner body. Lifting weights is so empowering to me and I love it so much, I feel so strong and I love to push my limits. Also nothing has changed my body like weight training has.

Great post, I totally agree. I'm not that big a fan of excessive cardio either, I'd much rather be lifting weights/strength training then doing cardio. And I'm also in the best shape of my life at 31, I was way outta shape in my 20's, I wouldnt have been caught dead in a bikini, and now I have a draw full of them :)

Good for u !, I have a drawer full of them too..lol :)

Well my friend! A great post once again. I totally agree with it. Muscle takes up far less space than fat so if you lift you will create a much leaner body. Lifting weights is so empowering to me and I love it so much, I feel so strong and I love to push my limits. Also nothing has changed my body like weight training has.

Thanks Girl,
and yes, you have really transformed your body, I've seen the pics ;)

Back