timing on breakfast

ausmusclebound

lately ive been noticing after i wake up shower etc its been more than a hour before i actually eat anything.
how important is it to eat immediately after waking up?
should i use wpi in the morning?
thanks

Last edited:
Good question here! I'm not diet guru by any means so I'd like to see others answers on this.

When thinking about it in a logical sense, your body has been fasting for a long time. You are also in your hormonal peak while your sleeping and that'll take a few min to wear off as well. Morning wood being a good hint here. I'd have to say you should be getting that food in as son as you wake up for these reasons and prolly more.

OP - What I hear most from what you've written is that you 'can' go for that long without 'needing' food first thing in the morning. Your nutrition is the key to your results, so with this in mind, you must dial it in at all cost by training your body to require the food necessary for you to reach your goals.

Much like your muscles, you must train your appetite. In theory, if you train your body to take in the calories needed to grow then you should be starving when you wake based upon the amount of time you've gone between meals. Hopefully you are taking a shake before bed, or a solid meal an hour or so prior, to hold you over.

This scenario isn't too harmful if you are smart about it. If you would like to continue with this routine in the morning than add some amino's immediately upon waking and go about your business. This will give your body the food it needs first thing in the morning without remaining catabolic, but I would recomend getting the meal in asap, no more than 60 mins after taking your aminos...

Last edited:
Funny thing is i know a few people who are exactly like this, they wake up and do not want to eat anything. As soon as i rise i am STARVING like to the point where my stomach feels like a vacuum and i need to eat immediately. It can get pretty annoying at times but i guess that's more than likely why breakfast is my favorite meal :)

The best way i changed this was when i would wake up in the middle of the night and have an ensure shake then go right back to bed. Also helped pack on some more weight when bulking!
But back to your question, I'm guessing it could be related to a combination of low blood sugar and ghrelin. Maybe you sustain a better level and it doesn't hit you immediately?

Last edited:
I wake up at least 2-3 times a night, I raid the cupboards and fridge and when I wake up I'm still starving

Its second to post-workout imo. I have trouble with early eating sometimes.
I keep liquid aminos handy for when when I wake until i do eat.
A little cardio can stimulate your appetite as well.

I wake up hungry and I diet all the time - breakfast is the first thing I do when I get up. At night you are fasting and the key with diet is fueling your muscles roughly every 3 hours. Try Casein before you go to bed. Its slower digesting then whey and may be a better option for you since you aren't eating for an hour after you're awake.

Tdaniels8 second paragraph is pretty much on point

i use casein at night.

I usually have 100-150g oats and 1 1/2 cups egg whites with 2 yolks.
i think thats a pretty standard breakfast for most but wouldnt we be better off with a low fat breakfast for quicker digestion?
something like grits and straight egg whites?

I usually snag a big scoop of chunky peanut butter as soon as I wake up, and that holds me over for an hour or so until I get my full breakfast on!!!! POWWWW!!

My breakfast varies but I typically eat 6 egg whites and a cup of plain oats. I may drop the oats some morning and eat 4 slices of whole grain or wheat toast, maybe add 2-4 slices turkey bacon, and some mornings I'll eat pancakes with a little sugar free syrup and a 2 scoop shake - just depends. I'll change it every few days or so. I count my macro-nutrients so at the end of the day I just make sure I'm hitting my numbers. I eat about 45-60g of protein per meal and the only 2 meals that I up my carbohydrate intake in terms of timing are pre and post workout. Whatever my count is for the day I'll take in 25% of my daily carbs Pre and another 25% post - the rest of my daily carbohydrates are divided evenly throughout my meals.

i use casein at night.

I usually have 100-150g oats and 1 1/2 cups egg whites with 2 yolks.
i think thats a pretty standard breakfast for most but wouldnt we be better off with a low fat breakfast for quicker digestion?
something like grits and straight egg whites?

Last edited:
today, for breakfaST i had a quesadilla chocolate pudding some buffalo chicken flavored chips protien shake and some hardboiled eggs mmmm

Im a hard gainer so i eat a lot intake up to 5 to 6000 cals a day. right when i get up i make some egg whites with 2 or 1 whole egg. 1 or 2 slices whole wheat bread,greek yogurt. Some Ham to go with the eggs. protein shake and some oats. if i can get a banana in there i will.yum

dude i wake up every morning starved and i eat well everyday and have a solid meal of 6oz ground steak,1 cup brocolli and a tablespoon peanut butter about an hour b4 bed. I also wake up with some serious wood throughout the night in particular after a massive session thaT DAY .

i cant grasp how ppl find it hard to eat in the morning wtf im hungry 24 7 . just increase ur intensity in the gym , try eat less more frequently ur metabolic rate will pick up making u hungry more often .

Diced

Back