Treadmill Vs Outdoors

Drako

Dunno if its just a mental thing with me but Ive noticed that I can run forever on a tread mill (flat terrain)while outdoor (flat terrain)I seem to get tired out in a shorter space of time.

I know this is most likley down to the enviroments in which we run but but when your on a treadmill you seem to be forced to run that bit longer due to the fact you basically on a convire belt which IMO does some of the work for you, while outdoors a number of things come into account weather, temprature, terrain, mild incline etc. which one is truley better?

it's a mental thing, bro

i would say the best thing for you is the one that you can last longer with. if you can last longer with the treadmill, go for the treadmill and vice versa

i would admit that i gas out easily on outside roadwork rather than the treadmill....i would say it's the cold air.......no doubt about it

BOOMA said:
i would admit that i gas out easily on outside roadwork rather than the treadmill....i would say it's the cold air.......no doubt about it
Do you not think this is better for overall endurance for fighters and wrestlers like us?

i dont think theres really any difference. personally i hate running on a tread mill, no matter how fast you run you get nowhere, just pisses me off. plus i dont like how you have to set your pace and your not running on your own

teej said:
i dont think theres really any difference. personally i hate running on a tread mill, no matter how fast you run you get nowhere, just pisses me off. plus i dont like how you have to set your pace and your not running on your own
Thats my point exactly when your ouside running you have to produce the forward momentum in order to get somwhere, but on a treadmill its already done for you due to the convere belt effect it produces. So does this omit certain muscles that you would normally use to run outside making it less effective?

the shitty treadmills at my gym stop when i run on them cause im to heavy. the weight limit is 250. but running outside is def better. you can run longer on a treadmil because you are not using as much energy than if you are running outside. your calfs dont have to push off to make to speed up and there is no wind resistence cause you are not really moving.

Actually, I'm the opposite bro. I can run longer/further when outside. But attribute this to the mental aspect. You have the scenery changing, trees, cars, woods, streams, people, etc, etc.. That coupled w/my ipod keeps my mind off the actual effort of running and on something else. And my breathing tends to equal out when I'm not thinking about it. Before I know it, 4-5 miles is behind me.
Now on a treadmill, you never move!! It's borinng, so it's like watching paint dry or grass grow. Every minute feels like an hour. All I can think about is, when will I be done. Then I seem to breathe heavier and feel really tight. The thing that is nice about a treadmill it's easier to set a pace and keep it. I try to alternate when the weather is nice. Just my 0.02

If you have problems with your shin or knees then your not going to do well on hard surfaces. I can not run more than a mile on pavement. The next day i can hardly walk, lol! It is in the knees mostly. Now when i run on a treadmill (i use LifeFitness) there is more give, so i don't feel anything and i can run for a good 3 miles. I think it is dependent on the individual and if there are joint problems.

JayC said:
Actually, I'm the opposite bro. I can run longer/further when outside. But attribute this to the mental aspect. You have the scenery changing, trees, cars, woods, streams, people, etc, etc.. That coupled w/my ipod keeps my mind off the actual effort of running and on something else. And my breathing tends to equal out when I'm not thinking about it. Before I know it, 4-5 miles is behind me.
Now on a treadmill, you never move!! It's borinng, so it's like watching paint dry or grass grow. Every minute feels like an hour. All I can think about is, when will I be done. Then I seem to breathe heavier and feel really tight. The thing that is nice about a treadmill it's easier to set a pace and keep it. I try to alternate when the weather is nice. Just my 0.02

my point exactly

yeah, i can run outside much further i think, the outdoor distractions keep my mind away from my lung cancer cramps

i'd say do whatever you're gonna stick with.

it's all about getting that heart rate up. if i wanna jog slow for a long time i'll use the treadmill. i'm like 250 right now, so if i run too fast on it it fucks up and i almost eat it.

Back