Voltaren Gel, anyone use this for joint problems

oldmusclemike

As the title I was wondering if anyone has used Voltaren gel for relief with joint problems. I have a Rotary Cuff problem from when I dislocated my right shoulder (once) in skiing comp. It was pulled out and they popped it back in. Quite simple.

However this was back in 80' and it ever bothered me until a few years ago when lifting. Has anyone that used this gotten any relief with this type of ache.

Voltaren® Gel has not been studied for use on the spine, hip, or shoulder. I found this statement and so I ask the question as to some experience from you guys.

What if anything do you guys suggest for me to use. Remember my age so I'm not going to go to the doc and take this to any higher level.

Thanks

Last edited:
Voltaren is pretty much the same as ruba35 or icyhot patches. Over the counter stuff isn't too great, livrelief, biofreez, tigerbalm oil or simply hot/cold therapy (ice and heat) would be my suggestion.

Rotator stretches/exercises Mike. They have made a TREMENDOUS difference for me, and they have actually increased many of my lifts as they do build up the supporting structures in the joint. I do them three times a week (on chest days and shoulder day as a warm up) with very light weight. It took me around two months before I saw really noticeable results, but they do most certainly help.

YouTube "rotator exercises". External/Internal rotations with a cable tower are what I do on chest day, external/inverse front raise/lateral-external with dumbbells on shoulder day. I wish I could remember the exact names, but you'll see a trend after a few videos.

My .02c :)

Rotator stretches/exercises Mike. They have made a TREMENDOUS difference for me, and they have actually increased many of my lifts as they do build up the supporting structures in the joint. I do them three times a week (on chest days and shoulder day as a warm up) with very light weight. It took me around two months before I saw really noticeable results, but they do most certainly help.

YouTube "rotator exercises". External/Internal rotations with a cable tower are what I do on chest day, external/inverse front raise/lateral-external with dumbbells on shoulder day. I wish I could remember the exact names, but you'll see a trend after a few videos.

My .02c :)

Thanks I'll look at the exercises. The Deca will help next month but the problem will still be there. The exercises can help with some of a repair rather then a mask. Yes ?

The Gel I have as well as my ex-wife from the doctor's samples. :)

OMG...halfwit...........ouch ! Fvck I didn't realize how stiff and bound up I am.

YouTube has got a lot of different video's. Hell I just have a hard time getting past the warm up, Ha LOL not really funny. I'm a mess :(

Thanks I'll start exercising and stretching my shoulder. I had to stop my Prednisone for all my Bursitis (hip etc...) so I'll be using some of the Voltaren Gel (free) and the exercises. I have to settle down on what exercises.
Half, if you can expound on what you do for the exercises please PM me or post more info. If you have the time. But I found the sites. :wavey:

Last edited:
Only Voltaren I've ever used was prescription tablets. Generic name is Desoflenac. Works wonders for Sharp pain in connective tissues that other's like advil and tylenol have a hard time targeting.

OMG...halfwit...........ouch ! Fvck I didn't realize how stiff and bound up I am.

YouTube has got a lot of different video's. Hell I just have a hard time getting past the warm up, Ha LOL not really funny. I'm a mess :(

Thanks I'll start exercising and stretching my shoulder. I had to stop my Prednisone for all my Bursitis (hip etc...) so I'll be using some of the Voltaren Gel (free) and the exercises. I have to settle down on what exercises.
Half, if you can expound on what you do for the exercises please PM me or post more info. If you have the time. But I found the sites. :wavey:

I'll see if I can't get you a better idea when I get home tonight. Just remember, the key word here is light weight lol. I get all sorts of funny looks doing front raises inverted (thumb faces down) with 15-17.5lb dumbbells until someone actually tries it lol.

my dad (who is turning 62 in april) was using the stuff back when i used to live at home and forced him to come to the gym with me lol.

he has a bad shoulder which mainly bothered him after chest sessions, and sometimes delt session that included overhead pressing.

in general the voltaren gel helped to a certain extent, but what REALLY helped him was some sort of corticosteroid injections into the rotator cuff every 3-4 months. if you'd like i can ask him and find out the exact injection he was getting.

i guess it's hereditary beacause in my same shoulder (im almost 23), a few hours after a chest workout which would include super heavy dumbbells in the 5-8 rep range, i sometimes get mild shoulder discomfort if i half ass my stretches. the moment i start really struggling on that last rep or two i can feel something in my shoulder start giving out IF my form is not 100%.

although the discomfort goes away fast and its not actually painful it still happens on occasion.. i dont get it at all now that i currently am in the 10-15 rep range, and focus way more on stretching the rotator cuffs.

of course, i made sure my dad was doing light-ish weights with perfect form.. he's not trying to gain mass or anything like that but at 60, nature does what it does, and i just want to return the favor and take care of my father as much as i can. i wish we weren't 6,000 miles apart so that we could go back to being gym buddies again... damn i miss my dad

good luck.. and again, if you want me to ask my father specifically what injections he was getting let me know. cause like stated above most OTC products only work only to a certain extent and probably not do much for you ESPECIALLY when we do what we do when it comes to working out and how we work out.

Last edited:
Works fine in multiple dosed on shoulder. That's where it's preferred. My wife is ortho nurse and we have 100s of sample around here. Thicker deeper mucles, no you want notic much. We found it best to use warming pad in area for 15 min, then dry area, and then use gel. It seems to absorb better and quicker. She has busted wing as well and that what were have to do. Lucky us her doc prescribed, since he himself is a juice box, GH along with the greys we orderd and tb 500. In reality what really works like we think it should? Also take in consideration larger areas bigger body frames and muscle groups. If need more help or info please feel free to PM me and you can speak directly to my wife and she can ask doc for you:)

Works fine in multiple dosed on shoulder. That's where it's preferred. My wife is ortho nurse and we have 100s of sample around here. Thicker deeper mucles, no you want notic much. We found it best to use warming pad in area for 15 min, then dry area, and then use gel. It seems to absorb better and quicker. She has busted wing as well and that what were have to do. Lucky us her doc prescribed, since he himself is a juice box, GH along with the greys we orderd and tb 500. In reality what really works like we think it should? Also take in consideration larger areas bigger body frames and muscle groups. If need more help or info please feel free to PM me and you can speak directly to my wife and she can ask doc for you:)

Wow lucky you! Dr prescribed gh!

Mike are you going to be running high deca low test? I think you said you would do deca at 750.
I been at 600 and it really has been quite decent. I feel like im on trt but a little stronger and slow steady gains..

Mike are you going to be running high deca low test? I think you said you would do deca at 750.
I been at 600 and it really has been quite decent. I feel like im on trt but a little stronger and slow steady gains..

Yep I am going to start a low test and Deca @ 600mg wk that's all I can afford to spend. I know that the Deca will help my joints. I have to run Deca from her on out if I cycle due to my joints. Next week I see my Arthritis doc and get some injections.

SO I found out about my shoulder problem Oh and the Voltaren Gel didn't do shit.

My Arthritis Doctor took x-rays and didn't see much so he sent me in for an MRI last week. The nurse called today and told me I have a partially torn Rotator cuff. I don't even know what or how. I'll do some research.

He wants me to get PT, and I don't know what that will do. ANYONE have some insight? The copay for PT is high and No can do that.

BUT after the shot of depot Medrol as well as the Deca It does not hurt as much when I work out. The Deca is just so Fvckin good.

Any tips or advise guys. It hurts a little when I do close grip bench for Triceps. Fvck this age gig.

SO I found out about my shoulder problem Oh and the Voltaren Gel didn't do shit.

My Arthritis Doctor took x-rays and didn't see much so he sent me in for an MRI last week. The nurse called today and told me I have a partially torn Rotator cuff. I don't even know what or how. I'll do some research.

He wants me to get PT, and I don't know what that will do. ANYONE have some insight? The copay for PT is high and No can do that.

BUT after the shot of depot Medrol as well as the Deca It does not hurt as much when I work out. The Deca is just so Fvckin good.

Any tips or advise guys. It hurts a little when I do close grip bench for Triceps. Fvck this age gig.

Do the PT. They will give you exercises specifically chosen for your injury, which is where the exercises I was talking about come from.

Spending money on something that will keep you away from the knife is money well spent imo. :)

Back