What is a good bike to learn on?

You could always do what I did and start off on a cbr 1000rr lol

It's not such a terrible idea anymore if you get something with throttle/traction control and anti-lock brakes. Such as the BMW s1000rr or the Kawi ZX10r alternatively you could buy a ZX-6R/R6 and put a BAZZAZ aftermarket TC unit on it and be pretty safe too.

IMO, I had a 6r for years before my wife and I decided to get a big ass cruiser (Yamaha Royal Star V-4 btw :cool:) but if I'd ever get a new rocket it would never be a 600, litre bikes with all of the new fancy electronic aides are the way to go... either them or the new 200hp ZX-14R... :bigok:

I love the anti lock brakes, but switching from non ones almost caused me to hit the dirt. If you are used to non antilock take time out to learn how it handles differently.

Ohh yea, best advice, if you ever take your ride to get detailed, make sure you know that the place handles bikes. Those dumb asses but the oil based tire shine on my white walls. I didn't notice it since they are white walls (duh why would you put tire sheen on any way) I took a hard corner and the bike almost slid out on me. Not too happy.

there is no need to have anything more than a 600(on the street). It will pull you off your seat if your not holding on.

I love the anti lock brakes, but switching from non ones almost caused me to hit the dirt. If you are used to non antilock take time out to learn how it handles differently.

Ohh yea, best advice, if you ever take your ride to get detailed, make sure you know that the place handles bikes. Those dumb asses but the oil based tire shine on my white walls. I didn't notice it since they are white walls (duh why would you put tire sheen on any way) I took a hard corner and the bike almost slid out on me. Not too happy.
Anti lock brakes on a bike are sketchy to me, I see how it could be good for a beginner rider who doesn't know how to finesse their brakes and just grabs a handful of front brakes and locks it up and low sides, but I guarantee a decent rider could stop faster with non ABS than with ABS. But to each their own.

I would go with the ninja 500 or R6 you will be happy with either for your first year then you will be ready for a bigger bike

my first bike i ever owned was a 2008 gsxr 750!!
never driven a dirt bike or anything all before this, the power was insane but i love everybit of it, i just sold it before xmas for $5250....i had no problem hitting 300km/hr
with this bike when it was needed to!! ide deff go with a 600 for your first bike!! nothing less, ive got a few high speed chases under my belt now thx to the 750 lol, never been caught

i was the type of rider if i had an open stretch it, the bike would be up on one wheel the entire length of it or coming into a corner i drop it down push the bike even harder into a corner(i wouldnt recommend this unless running track tires) the others arent sticky enough i find to hit corners at high enough speeds

looking for a 1000 gixxer now--getting away from the speeds and chases
hopeing to do a full custom bike

Started on 600 and did so many mods that I just kept it. Honda cbr

Easy to learn on after I took the safety course. Not much riding experience

To the OP sounds like you need to be on a track. You can hit some high speeds there and not have to worry about other cars, which even at that doesn't appear to be the case. You sound extremely immature and to be honest if this is your mentality for riding on the road you shouldnt have a bike

Glad to see you're getting a bike man!
First off, get yourself into an MSF course. I've taken all of them and they teach you some good shit.
Once you've got all your gear and are ready to get a bike, I'd say hit up some dealerships or ask friends for test drives so you can find what you're comfortable on. Don't get a liter bike (1000cc+) for a first bike man. I have a lot of friends that did and they don't know how to ride for shit even though they've been riding longer than me. Get something smaller so you can learn how to PROPERLY ride without being totally scared of the bike. I'm on my second 600cc and let me say I never get bored. They're faster in the corners anyways when I go to track days.
Don't be pressured into buying too big of a bike. There are probably 10 people in the world that can ride a 600cc to it's limits. Anyone telling you otherwise is a twat. Once you know the ins and outs of your 600, I promise you that you'll be flying past liters on the corners and it feels awesome. Not to mention when you eventually do get a liter, you'll know how to ride it unlike most.
As for choosing your make, it's all preference. I've been on all Jap bikes and some Italians. Get a Jap bike. They're just as good and the maintenance is much less. Ninjas and GSXRs and comfortable bikes and are good on the low end of their RPMs. Hondas are good mid range. I have an R6 and the low end is terrible. It's been rated the worst bike to ride around town in. But on track it eats the rest of the bikes. It's all preference.
Just don't be one of those assholes that thinks it's cool to break every law and go 160 mph on the freeway. Anyone can do that shit. It's not impressive at all but it is stupid. Going balls out isn't for the street, it's for the track. Doing so on the road not only puts yourself in danger, but other people also.

I learned on a 250 Kawasaki Ninja and I feel it' a good bike to start with. But yes, I recommend you take a rider course as others have said, learning to turn properly on your own is extremely hard.

I drove(kind of) drove my bike yesterday. I have a 2001 ninja 500. Ive never been on a dirtbike, so what an experience. I shamefully fell off,but f°ck if I didnt get right back on. I was more angry at myself,and worried I had scratched up my pretty bike.Im learning in an open field for now. I didnt want a 250 , nothing wrong with them, but I figured id go up ,but nothing too powerful to start off. I spent 1800 on this bike,enough for me to want to keep her pretty,but cheap enough to replace anything.

I learned on a 250 Kawasaki Ninja and I feel it' a good bike to start with. But yes, I recommend you take a rider course as others have said, learning to turn properly on your own is extremely hard.

The biggest problem with new riders is they don't look ahead while they are riding. If you are looking at your front wheel then you will crash while turning. This is a huge deal when riding a dirt bike, and even more important on the street. If you crash on a dirt bike you aren't going to die (most likely) if you crash on the road it's going to be bad. If you look ahead you keep your balance better, and if you see something in the road DON'T STARE at it or you will hit it lol.

Back