wrist injury!!

ricky

hey guys! i recently been diagnosed with a wrist injury described as the terry thomas sign! what has happened is the ligaments have torn away from the two bones in my wrist! i was wondering if any guys on here have suffered with this injury as the doctors have told me after the opperation were they,ll graft the ligament and pin the bones back in place i wont be able to train anymore as the wrist will always be weak! Im hoping someone out there has had it and returned to training as im sure you guys know when you live for lifting being told this news isnt going down very well!

I have read up a little bit about this "terry thomas sign" or a form or indication of scapholunate instability due to a gap.

As far as I understand it it all boils down to the fact that surgery reduces pain and some motion problems, but it does not repair strength or pressure/strain capacity.

As that seems to be the case strength training would be unadvisable because the surgical repairs can become undone because of the stress and strain on the reapired areas. This can lead to a recurrance of the previous problem or it can mean that the stress on the repairs themselves cause a whole different, even worse, problem.

I think high-level strength training is out of the question.

BUT that does not necessarilly mean you can not do a lower volume workout.

I would ask your doctor and physiotherapist about ways you can still workout and if there are some tools with which you could move stress way from the wrist towards the upper forearm above the wrist.

Most of all...don't take advice without thinking about consequences and running it past a medical expert.

disclaimer:

I have no personal or secondhand experience with this...and I am not a doctor.. My advice or my suggestions are by no way an educated alternative or substitute for trained medical advice!

although that answer really wasnt the one i was looking for thankyou for what sounds like honest and sound advice :(

Back