Preacher Curl 2x 10-8

Friday

Deadlift 5x5
Chin- ups 2x10-8
Cable row 2x 10-8

Close grip bb bench press 5x5
Cable push down 2x10-8
Dips 2x10-8

today was Day 1 and I started really low because I'm coming off a long lay off due to personal stuff and injury.

Anyways I did my 5 sets of 5 on squats and it all felt good... I completed my 5X5 so I'll be bumping the weight next week.

so if I understand correctly I keep bumping the weight as long as I'm hitting my 5X5 and if I fail I just repeat the weight until I break the sticking point but if I'm stuck you switch to 5X3??

my goals are to get some of my strength back and improve where i was weak before...

looks pretty sweet

personally I'd do tris with chest and bis with back, but otherwise you have got the idea sorted

I've been doing it now for a dew weeks all my lifts are going up so far each week but that is to be expected since I'm just getting back in the game

I lowered the volume on biceps because they felt beat after the 5X5 plus 4 more sets so I'm just doing the 5X5 and then 2 sets.. but the last set I do a drop set.

overall I enjoy the change time will tell as to how effective it is for me once I get back to my numbers before my lay off

AngryMuscles said:
isn't 5x5 only for bench/deads/squats?

check out the 5X5 routine thread.... it's pretty long but a great read

like I stated before item will tell with me since I haven't seriously lifted in a year and my weights have dropped alot I'm really interested to see this work once I get to my old platteaus

Smallguy said:
Monday:

Squat 5x5
Leg Extension 3x 10-8
Leg Curl 3x 10-8
Sitting calf raise 3x15

db front press 5x5
Side lateral raises 3x10-8
Bent over db rowing 2 x 10-8

Wednesday

DB Bench press 5x5
Incline db press 3x 10-8
Incline db flies 3x 10-8

BB curl 5x5
Db Curl 2x 10-8
Preacher Curl 2x 10-8

Friday

Dead lift 5x5
Chin- ups 2x10-8
Cable row 2x 10-8

Close grip bb bench press 5x5
Cable push down 2x10-8
Dips 2x10-8

A good routine but I think it has weaknesses.

A few things come to mind (and hopefully it is helpful):

1. Not nearly enough hamstring or calve work!!!

2. Shoulders before chest? Why? Not a good idea in my book.

3. I would bag the Incline Flies (or any flies for that matter) for chest and stick with mass builders only.

4. I would quadruple the upper back work. Back really, almost, can not be over trained since the biceps give out far before the back muscles. I am currently doing 12X of chins (arched back, full range of motion and chest to the bar) and then on to two more exercises!

5. I might do the Bar Dips before the push downs.

6. No abs?

7. With this increase (more back, more calves, more hamstrings, addition of Abs) I would do a 4 day routine. Maybe 4 days a week, or even 1 on 1 off rotating. There is nothing magical about 7 days in a week.

If you have any Q's feel free to PM me. I am a professional who has done this for a living.

Last edited:
Back