Advice on how to build big calves?

meengrrl

My boyfriend has been training for about 10 years, and he looks great in all aspects except his calves. It seems like they just dont want to grow, he works them 2x week and trains them hard and heavy. I thought maybe I could get some good advice for him, since he's always complaining about that lagging body part. :) He's 5'8, 210..

Oh yeah, right now he's doing the routine for cooked calves that I got off this forum..

Calves

Has he always trained them 2 x a week? if so, maybe he should try training them but just once a week, he has nothing to lose and maybe bigger calves to gain.

My calves do far better off of training them just once every 6-7 days, w/low-moerate volume and high intensity.

Stroyer

meengrrl said:

Oh yeah, right now he's doing the routine for cooked calves that I got off this forum..
Tell him to ease into that routine ........it is a killer.......

I used to do calves 1x a week, and they got stagnant. Now I do them 3x a week and I'm seeing growth again. I'll probably drop down to 2x a week eventually.

Re: Re: Advice on how to build big calves?

70w30 said:
Tell him to ease into that routine ........it is a killer.......

Oh yeah, he's done it about 5 times now and he seems to be ok with it, now me that's a different story. I tried it out and ended up walking on my toes and being a cripple for 3 days! Hopefully with more time he'll see better results, I just hate to see him get frustrated over it. :)
Thanks for the advice!

I cycle high volume 20 reps and next workout go higher weight lower volume 10 reps.

Do calves 3 times a week. Worked for me gained 3 inches on my calves over 2 years.

I read this in a Flex mag. My calves were lacking too, and i started to hold them in the up position on calve raises for 5 seconds. Go back down, then repeat the motion. It is really awesome, and it worked for me.

traps12 said:
I cycle high volume 20 reps and next workout go higher weight lower volume 10 reps.

Do calves 3 times a week. Worked for me gained 3 inches on my calves over 2 years.

I do the same. I also would suggest if he's not doing Donkey Calf Raises, to start doing those in his routine. They are a phenomenal exercise.:)

big ferrigno said:
I read this in a Flex mag. My calves were lacking too, and i started to hold them in the up position on calve raises for 5 seconds. Go back down, then repeat the motion. It is really awesome, and it worked for me.

I didn't read it anywhere but saw insane results with it.....

Standing presses. I'm a bitty and can do 320 lbs so I mean do your max!

Starting at about 220 and increasing with each set to failure. I always hold the top of the motion for the count of five. On the downward go all the way down. Hold to stretch and repeat through each set.

Standing press again. Toes pointed out. Repeat above.

Standing press again. Toes pointed in.

I still don't know what they call that seated apparatus where you load the plates. Fyre will know. She always does. That thing is killer. Completely isolates your calf muscles.

some people just lack calve kinda like a genetic problem theres not much u can do about it just keep workin on em and try different training techniques until u are satisfied with some.

benefit said:
some people just lack calve kinda like a genetic problem theres not much u can do about it just keep workin on em and try different training techniques until u are satisfied with some.

that seems so because everyone is scared to train them, ecpecially the first few years of training so thats why most people lack calves. You gotta do more than sitting calf raises once per week lol.......... Spent 30-45 minutes on calves 1-2 times a week and try some new exercises besides pussy sitting ones.

Back