Another 42 year old back at it

Khodiak

42 years old, I took 5 years off after fracturing my spine in a motorcycle wreck. Had to have a fusion of the L1, L2 and T12. Finally squatting again! This is after about 5 months back.

Weight 265
Height 5'11
Body Fat: Off the charts!

Oh man, you're an old dude! Hahaha - I've got 6 years on you! Glad to hear you are back at it. i started back at 42 also and it feels great to get back in shape at this point in life. Don't worry too much about the body fat - I dropped 10% without too much effort over 5 years (slow I know) Now the morning workout is the best part of my day. My weight is almost the same but I am much leaner now.

Good luck buddy - BTW Check out the hack squats to spare your back. Go easy on it for 6 months.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is kinda funny cause I used to work at Golds as a trainer in a larger city compared to where I live now. I was pretty hard core back in the mid 80s and 90s (heavy into gear). Now I walk into the local club where I live now and I am lifting twice the weight these young poser kids that are half my age. This is after a freaking spinal fracture and a 5 year layoff. Kids these days... I swear they are in the gym just to get my Test levels all jacked up and to piss me off. Asking me questions, and getting in my way.

I really do think those years of juicing permanently altered my body and strength forever. Even after all these years...

good to see your getting back into it bro...you gonna train natty or get back into gear once u really get back into it?

good to see your getting back into it bro...you gonna train natty or get back into gear once u really get back into it?

Allready started up a small test E cycle. I love test to much to not use it when I start lifting heavy.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is kinda funny cause I used to work at Golds as a trainer in a larger city compared to where I live now. I was pretty hard core back in the mid 80s and 90s (heavy into gear). Now I walk into the local club where I live now and I am lifting twice the weight these young poser kids that are half my age. This is after a freaking spinal fracture and a 5 year layoff. Kids these days... I swear they are in the gym just to get my Test levels all jacked up and to piss me off. Asking me questions, and getting in my way.

it's man strength... I'm still young (21yo) but I find the older that you get as long as you stick with it, its possible to be as strong as hell

good luck with everything

I read what I commented about the young kids, and it sounded a bit arrogant. I actually enjoy helping out people when they ask me questions. I think the smaller club I lift in just has a relaxed feel to it compared to the gyms I used to work out in. I miss having a bunch of big guys (and girls) giving you incentive to push that one last rep. I find I have to dig down deep to push myself and to have some really good tunes on my ipod to keep me going, while anorexic jounior next to me is grunting like a stuck pig trying to do 80 lb dumb bell presses.

I read what I commented about the young kids, and it sounded a bit arrogant. I actually enjoy helping out people when they ask me questions. I think the smaller club I lift in just has a relaxed feel to it compared to the gyms I used to work out in. I miss having a bunch of big guys (and girls) giving you incentive to push that one last rep. I find I have to dig down deep to push myself and to have some really good tunes on my ipod to keep me going, while anorexic jounior next to me is grunting like a stuck pig trying to do 80 lb dumb bell presses.

Glad you posted a correction - a lot of those younger guys look up to older guys (especially in the 40's) as role models. I find that as my peer group ages there are very few - (10-25%?) who bother to stay in shape. I think it's important for the kids to see that we don't all have to get fat & out of shape - fitness is a lifelong commitment. My hat's off to you buddy for getting back on the wagon after what must have been a tough 5 year hiatus.

42 years old, I took 5 years off after fracturing my spine in a motorcycle wreck. Had to have a fusion of the L1, L2 and T12. Finally squatting again! This is after about 5 months back.

Weight 265
Height 5'11
Body Fat: Off the charts!

Looking big and solid bro. Keep hitting those weights and you are back to your old self in no time. =)

Looking solid and thick brutha..Im turning 44 this month and still grinding it out 5 days a week in the gym

Nice work Khodiak! Some never come back from a similar injury. Never give up, never give in and beyond all else stay true to your desires.

I am 42 and I live for my date with the weight! Like you, I miss all the big dudes in the larger gyms that made it fun to push myself to the edge. The gym I am at now, most of the time, I am the only one there. Keep it up big man...

Back