Anyone else do their own engine work?

lifter121

I am a dirt bike engine builder first, but have done a few sport bikes, and cars too. I have been doing my own engine work since I was 12. My dad said if I wanted to race I had to work on my own bikes. So for the next 13 or so years I have been porting, milling, balancing, grinding, boring, honing, shaving etc. all different parts of an engine to get the most power out of them. I was wondering if anyone else does their own work around here, whether it's just normal rebuilds, or building a race motor? I used to race dirt bikes professionally, but now have began training other pros and building race motors for everyone.

I am in the beginning of a GSXR750 engine right now, getting the whole shibang done to it. I will post up a few pictures of the head before I work on the ports, and a few during the porting, and some of it finished if anyone is interested. I was PMing someone here and it made me think of starting this topic haha.

I turn my own wrenches but as far as machine work I am not set up for that end. I have valve spring compressors, ring compressors, 1/4' to 3/4" sockets sets and torque wrenches. Bike jack for my 900lb Moped. Two 6ft roll-aways is never enough tools....lol

I turn my own wrenches but as far as machine work I am not set up for that end. I have valve spring compressors, ring compressors, 1/4' to 3/4" sockets sets and torque wrenches. Bike jack for my 900lb Moped. Two 6ft roll-aways is never enough tools....lol

I can see your big swoll ass already rolling down the street on your big ass moped flipping every off!!!

My father owns a transmission shop, he has been in the auto repair business for 35+ years, so I lucked out in not having to buy all of the tools I needed. I have lathes, porting tools, sand blasters, cam grinders, drill press etc. I know what you're saying lol, every week the snap on truck comes by our shop and I am always buying more shit!

Installed the Scorpion Carbon Fiber Billet Clutch and ready to stand her up on the read tire :)

Hell ya wheelies on a scooter! I need to upload the pictures I have of the GSXR750 build we have going on right now. Head is getting ported right now.

lol i fucking wish i could do my own work top bike needs alot of work smh piston melted..

lol still love riding tho now im down to one bike and one atv. tell i decide wdf to do about the other one

o and first post lol :smokepoke

Last edited:
My first trade was an auto mechanic. I've always been into street/strip and drag cars, so building my own engines was only natural.

Raced MX for a few years, rebuilt my bike engines too, and a few for friends, 2 stroke and 4 stroke. Still have two KX450f's, but I haven't ridden a track in over 4 years. Got hurt semi-bad in 08'. I've been riding in the desert about 6 or 7 times since then.

Lifter121, nice turndown scrub in your avatar.

Back