Deadlift = Bleeding Shins, any quick fix?

ProteiNeed

Yeah, so when I dead I drag the BB along my shins and thighs as I've been directed to do.

The problem is, with each rep I'm skinning myself alive. I often bleed in spots and there's a rugburn type line from above my ankles to the tops of my knees, not to mention I'm starting to shave the hair off my legs with a barbell LOL

I DL with an approximately shoulder width stance. Am i supposed to line up the slick parts of the BB with my shins, or am i doing something wrong?

It's a lift you def have to practice and no, don't drag the BB across ure shins.
?????????????????????????????????????
Close, but def not touching the shins.

Yeah, so when I dead I drag the BB along my shins and thighs as I've been directed to do.

Can't say that I've ever heard anyone give that advice before. Sounds like something a trainer says to a young/new lifter to help keep their form

Sometimes on a heavy lift the bar may glaze them but that should never be part of your technique. If it's that big of an issue, just tape your shins or wear workout pants.

\I DL with an approximately shoulder width stance. Am i supposed to line up the slick parts of the BB with my shins, or am i doing something wrong?

No, it means youre doing it right. If the scrapes bother you then wear long pants or sweats.

some bars arent designed for deads , look around the gym and see if some have the slick section in a place that will slide up your shins instead of shread them . duct tape up the shins can help. fact is the closer to the body you keep the bar the less strain on the lower back . i would much rather see a lifter dragging his shins to much than a guy with the bar away from his leg.

visit a powerlifter meet and check out the hamburger meat shins you will find there.

is this only a problem when doing sumo?

I don't have this problem but i pull conventional.

some cheap bars have the knurling all the way down the bar and scrape conventional pullers .
i have actually been at a event and not noticed 1 bar in the warm up room had the knurling all the way OUCH lol .

When I was powerlifting baby powder helped to prevent raping the shins during deads. Its messy but it should help alot.

Parade your bleeding shins in front of the pussies doing ticep extensions on the machines! wear your scabs as a badge of honor - the deadlift king of all exercises :)

definitely scrape your shins, keep it close. put some Vaseline on your shins to diminish friction, and like DADAWG said, some bars are made for deadlifting and have smooth sections wear the average lifter's shins would be.

some bars arent designed for deads , look around the gym and see if some have the slick section in a place that will slide up your shins instead of shread them . duct tape up the shins can help. fact is the closer to the body you keep the bar the less strain on the lower back . i would much rather see a lifter dragging his shins to much than a guy with the bar away from his leg.

visit a powerlifter meet and check out the hamburger meat shins you will find there.
DADAWG is still on spot. No indication of Alzheimers ... yet.

You probably aren't leaning back far enough then.

Grab the bar and sit back. If you are doing this correctly, then you would fall on your ass if not for the fact that you are holding onto the plate-loaded bar. Pull the bar in to your legs and lift.

My deadlift numbers went way up just because of the fact that somebody taught me how to do them right.

At my gym the plates aren't round. I hate that.

You probably aren't leaning back far enough then.

Grab the bar and sit back. If you are doing this correctly, then you would fall on your ass if not for the fact that you are holding onto the plate-loaded bar. Pull the bar in to your legs and lift.

My deadlift numbers went way up just because of the fact that somebody taught me how to do them right.

At my gym the plates aren't round. I hate that.

im pretty sure i don't lean back much at all. i don't really bend my knees much either.

Also, my stance is just inside my grip (shoulder width)

Back