DNP...Do Not Use!

John Benz

Community Veteran
Muscle loss with DNP use is very real!

I get sick and tired of hearing people explain away all the DNP related problems as though they were fiction. Here are 2 posts from masswithclass and his client JuicedBull. These 2 guys are the real deal and serious trainers, not 2 goofy young retards. Masswithclass* is a national level competitor and juiced is a big boy.
masswithclass said:
I was wondering a while ago about all the DNP results. I was wondering why DNP doesn't go after muscle tissue for energy as well as fat. I recently had a client run DNP after 2 14days runs with DNP we found that his musclemass was being eatin up. I tested him with a bioimpedence bodycomposition tester so i had his before and after results. It gives readouts of lean tissue, fat weight and bodyfat%. After 2 runs on DNP he was only down 1 pound of fat but dropped 9 pounds of muscle tissue. Not trying to bring anyone down, but we have accurate body composition tests to prove this. For the record he got way better results from tren E.
JuicedBull said:
Hey guys! I'm the DNP junkie that's missin' his muscle

I guess you learn some lessons the hard way! Back to tren and some kick-ass dieting/cardio for this kid!
*Masswithclass passed away last summer from congestive heart failure brought on by prolonged steroid use. :sad:

Cataract formation is very real!

Buff87 is a big guy and an experienced trainer. His pic is in his avatar on many boards and he mods at several...

buff87 said:
I just wanted to comment on this part...

I have ran maybe 3-4 DNP cycles... First one low dose the others
much higher doses and have always had 20/20 vision my whole life...
In the last year my eye sight has suffered... I no longer have 20/20
vision and have a hard time focusing on things more then 20' away...
I have talked to one other well known Mod that has run alot more
cycles and is 10 years younger then myself that has experienced the
same problems with his eye sight... We have talked about it in private..
I guess no one likes to admit to suffering any side effects and I have
not brought it up until now myself... Who wants to admit they used
something that did some kind of damage to them?

This is the only side effect that I can see can happen quite easily and one
that seems not to reverse itself either... ...but this side effect is very common and not talked about enuf....
buff87 said:
if anyone views my post about Clen/T3 cutting cycle and the results I had they are just as good as any DNP cycle and far less dangerous and I did not bullshit the results one bit... Just a little FYI for everyone...

Here is a quote from moderator 3Vandoo @ Fitnessgeared...

3Vandoo said:
Cataracts formation on a 25yo male is not normal, and I DID USED ALL THE "ANCILLARIES" POSSSIBLE IN THE BOOK, TO 3 TIMES THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNTS! Is there long term analysis of dnp on human? NO' only short term, we dont know what will happen to a guy that used dnp let says at 29, but what would be the results when it will be 71??? we simply dont know.

And I did said, it give permanent damages, and I use that statement and back it up because it was made by the scientific, lab rat, that I trust the most, MYSELF.

DNP makes you lose fat, yes!

but let go:

how do you feel

- tired
- sweaty
- lose all strength
- makes you look like shit
- you cum fluo
- you piss fluo
- you smell chloride
- your brain is not there
- slows you down to a point.
- and you lose "1lb of fat a day" in theory.

I did many dnp cycles and it is not worth it.... not at all. WHY? there is a nice rebound effects everytime you use it.
ALWAY!

the only nice effects I found with it, it was possible to cheat while doing ckd
pop up a cap on day first and you in keto very soon. Same when I had to cheat due to my "socializing" pop a dnp and I was still in keto.

There is no good, in using the "Death is not a problem". Some even said that using dnp after a cycle with clomid had a anabolic effects.. MY ASS, I lost my strength gain.

Oh yeah 17lbs of fat in 14 days was great, but 15 came back right away.
The fat I lost on ckd never came back since 12 months now. :D

dnp = crap

322 an experienced DNP user!

DEATH is a very real possibility with dnp!

There have been at least 3 proven dnp deaths in the last 3 years, and 2 of these guys were huge experienced bodybuilders who thought they knew all the risks and took all the supps and precautions, and surely never figured they would lose their lives for the sake of speedy fat loss.

From a thread at bb.com summer 2002 after the death of YoungNHugeGunz (Eric Perrin)
SLY said:
A member over at the Elite Boards has passed away and Business Week wants to run a story on his death focussing on the sale of drugs on the internet. The FDA has gotten involved and is centering its investigation around the guys DNP use.
K (same) said:
Stupid people not fit for survival. DNP can literally "cook" you inside out. Must be a pretty "well done" corpse

I have no sympathy for morons like that. Warning about DNP is everywhere.
WHOSYOURDADDY02 said:
While somewhat harsh in a sense... I think that is well said...

It is clear that this person under estimated the power of DNP ...
2demon2 said:
BTW, he had a physique that very few people in this world will ever attain.
Blacksmith said:
No one will remember that looking at him lying in his coffin.

SHOT was head steroid moderator at bodybuilding.com and a mod at Anabolex as well. SHOT posted this thread June 2003. The second extremely knowledgeable user to die from DNP in a year.
SHOT said:
Very sad news.....

Many of you remember I used to be a mod at bloodsweatsteel....

If you remember one of the mods there named JOHN_U then you would know that he was one of the smartest bros I have ever met online....and one big guy...we used to trade alot of pics together about 2 years ago....he was the first person to really talk to me about slin...and how I set up my personal cycles....

Most of his post were really hard to understand because he was so tech. with them. He was a college student...studying something in the chem field.....

Well his roomate just posted on BSS that John had died from DNP....I dont know anymore details other then that....this is a real shocker because i know John knew more about DNP then anyone I know....when I say this bro was a guru he really was...

How this happened I dont know....but his roomate found him in his room last week I guess dead...

This is truely said....I am just in so much shock...I cant believe this....he was such a nice guy...never flamed...always would help anyone no matter how big or small the prob was..

He will be truely missed on the boards thats for sure...

So this post is for my brother...JOHN_U...R.I.P brother...we will miss you...

P.S ...how many more bros are going to have to have really bad side effects or death before we stop useing this shit...

The moral of the story... This is not just another drug that can be safely used for physical enhancement. The margin for error between "effective" and "lethal" is too slim!

Yes, Dnp can be dangerous if not used with wisdom and respect. However, thousands of people have used DNP without having dropped over dead or having got cateracts(which is a side occurring more so in women than men).

The risks are there along with any other drug. You just have to research and respect the chemicals you put into your body.

I'll play devil's advocate for the sake of discussion...

The biggest problem I find with your post is that at no point is the dosage listed of what these guys were taking when all these complications/deaths occured. You said they were big time competitors, huge experienced bodybuilders so it would lead one to assume they were abusing DNP, not taking it like most here on the boards do.

Maybe thats a flawed assumption but most with half the credentials those guys supposedly have on the board here run large amounts of anything they're taking, so it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume they're up around 600mg+/ day using DNP which is way to high by anyones standards. Plus the Buff87 dude you quoted even states " have ran maybe 3-4 DNP cycles... First one low dose the others much higher doses"

DNP like all compounds can become dangerous at a certain point. The difference with DNP is that the margin of error is much less than other drugs, which places it in a category for experieced Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) users, not 1st timers or people who are new to the game.

It has been said that this can cause permanent cellular damage, that would worry me more than muscle loss.

Mudge said:
It has been said that this can cause permanent cellular damage, that would worry me more than muscle loss.

Exactly, but then again more often then not you have to appeal to a person's vanity rather then their concern for their own health when trying to stop them from harming themselves.

Why people use DNP is beyond me.

Diet and cardio? Not fast enough!! Id rather just take the magic orange pills that are rumored to cause permanent cellular damage, vision problems, make you feel like shit AND to top it all off - are suspected to have been the cause of death for more than a couple guys who just wanted to loose some BF.

Yea - but ill NEVER touch slin, that shit will kill you :rolleyes:

*sigh* Where to start?
Masswithclass Post: (RIP)
I've never EVER seen someone lose muscle on DNP, period. Also, bioimpedence bodyfat measuring sucks for accuracy.
3VanDoo Post:
Taking 3X! The amount of "protectants" which are essentially all anti-oxidants will cause these anti-ox to become pro-oxidants. It's way more important to take protectants AFTER your DNP cycle than during.
Buff87 Post:
The cataract issue has been put to rest a LONG time ago. There is no greater incidence of eyesight problems in people using DNP than in the general population. They studied this thoroughly in the 40-50's.
DEATH Posts:
Are all these are CONFIRMED deaths d/t DNP? Seems that they're not. Every single time I hear about someone dying d/t DNP or Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) it ALWAYS turns out in the end to be either: 1. something related to family history of poor health 2. rec drugs -or- 3. something completely unrelated to either.

Flame away....

I feel the sides are way overexagerated...I see all kinds of people running it on all kinds of BB boards, several cycles with several protocols, 600mg is not uncommon, with comments of it being 'sheer magic'. The complaints about sides are rare to non-existent in comparison. However DNP is in no way a safe compound. But flaming DNP as being worthless is just not true. It is the most powerfull fatburner known to man, period. As for the muscle loss, I can see that as a possibility, but aside from this post I nevr seen it mentioned by any user. The cellular damage, is worriesome. I feel a sensible dosage of 200/300mg along with a clean diet for a few weeks is acceptable. Usually it is the one compound, along with slin, I do advise NOT to take to MOST people. You have to know what you are doing.

DocJ, do you feel confident about the medical world of the 40-50s and their ability to conduct tests? I certainly don't.

I have spoken with several people who ran DNP, and have gotten many reports of eye problems (before many of these folks read anything that accused DNP of being the culpritt). Upon learning that others suffered vision problems, these folks felt as though their problems were DNP related, but hey...we all want an answer..it can't just be us getting older now can it? lol

Death post....In-Human...a guy I respect more than all others on the boards lost a close friend and training partner to complications resulting from DNP use. As a friend, he told me the whole story and the dosages used....they were not very high at all...200 EOD for a month. He upped it to 300 EOD on a run shorlty after the first one.
Both were trying to prepare to step on the same stage at a later date. They were really pushing each other and IH noticed his buddy getting really crazy about the DNP and fat loss.

I really don't want to speak out of school because IH is no longer on the boards and this was his friend...not mine. I just put 100% faith and confidence in IH and what he laid out before me. He told all of this to me a couple years ago, so I don't remember all of the specifics. I do remember that it was not realted to rec drugs...existing problems...family history or any of the sort.

Aside from all the folks saying don['t do it because.......
and all the folks saying run it because it didn't hurt me......

I think the idea of putting a poison in your body that causes the sides we all know are related to it....just can't be a terribly smart move. To each his own and all that, but shouldn't we be concerned about growing and doing the best we can without tempting fate and pushing toward potential problems?

I would much rather ere on the side of caution.

People that do recs and dnp are doing two wrongs, trying to make it right. There is room for one wrong at best.

DocJ said:
*sigh* Where to start?
Masswithclass Post: (RIP)
I've never EVER seen someone lose muscle on DNP, period. Also, bioimpedence bodyfat measuring sucks for accuracy.
bioimpedence machines are still the most accurate tool we have for measuring bf %. Even if it were innaccurate, and I have yet to see anything to back up this statement...the guy lost 9 pounds of muscle. Hard to be off by that much. He felt like his lean mass was being eaten up and just used the machine to conclude it. Did you miss this statement by 3vandoo?
3Vandoo said:
Some even said that using dnp after a cycle with clomid had a anabolic effects.. MY ASS, I lost my strength gain.

Oh yeah 17lbs of fat in 14 days was great, but 15 came back right away.
The fat I lost on ckd never came back since 12 months now. :D

dnp = crap

322 an experienced DNP user!
Furthermore Tom Prince stated openly a couple years back that he had seen too many bbers lose more muscle than fat to ever use dnp even if it wasn't potentially lethal.

DocJ said:
3VanDoo Post:
Taking 3X! The amount of "protectants" which are essentially all anti-oxidants will cause these anti-ox to become pro-oxidants. It's way more important to take protectants AFTER your DNP cycle than during..
Not trying to be abrasive....but this is complete nonsense and shows zero understanding of anti-oxidants and how they work.
DocJ said:
Buff87 Post:
The cataract issue has been put to rest a LONG time ago. There is no greater incidence of eyesight problems in people using DNP than in the general population. They studied this thoroughly in the 40-50's.
The cataract issue was never put to rest, even in the 50's. I've spoken to other board members who attribute premature cataract formation to light dnp use.

DocJ said:
DEATH Posts:
Are all these are CONFIRMED deaths d/t DNP? Seems that they're not. Every single time I hear about someone dying d/t DNP or Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) it ALWAYS turns out in the end to be either: 1. something related to family history of poor health 2. rec drugs -or- 3. something completely unrelated to either.

Flame away....
==========================================================================================

STATE HEALTH COMMISSIONER WARNS OF DANGERS OF WEIGHT LOSS PRODUCT

DEADLY DINITROPHENOLS AVAILABLE THROUGH INTERNET SALES

ALBANY, NY, August 10, 2001-- State Health Commissioner Antonia C. Novello today warned against the use of products containing Dinitrophenols or DNP as a supplement for weight loss. The warning results from a report to the Department's Pesticide Poisoning Registry on the recent death of a Long Island resident who had reportedly used DNP for four days.

The young man's death was reported to the State Health Department by the Long Island Poison Control Center, which indicated that the individual apparently ingested 600 milligrams of DNP a day for four days.

DNP is an agricultural pesticide (a herbicide) but is not registered for use in New York State. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, it was sold in the 1930's in diet pills but was banned in 1938 because of severe health effects. Dinitrophenols are toxic to the liver, kidney and nervous system. The chemical causes hyperthermia (increased body temperature), dehydration, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), restlessness and manic behavior and convulsions which typically signify an immediate life-threatening intoxication. There are anecdotal reports of other deaths from DNP as a weight loss supplement.

Although DNP use in diet pills was banned in 1938, it is currently being marketed and used by body builders, and is also advertised and marketed on the Internet. The extent of its use is unknown at this time.

The State Health Department has contacted the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to explore ways to warn consumers about the dangers of DNP, to identify product names under which it is being sold and to dissuade its further use. The warning also will be sent to DNP web sites identified by the Department, body builder web sites and body builder magazines.

Heres a interesting one that talks about a DNP bust shortly after the tragic death of Elite Fitness member Eric Perrin (YoungNHugeGunz)

PRESS RELEASE
DEFENDANT ARRESTED IN INDIANA AND CHARGED WITH SELLING "DNP" TOXIC WEIGHT LOSS DRUG OVER THE INTERNET - BALDWIN, LONG ISLAND, RESIDENT DIES AFTER INGESTING THE DRUG

ALAN VINEGRAD, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, and STEWART McGEE, Special Agent-in-Charge, United States Food and Drug Administration ("FDA"), Office of Criminal Investigations, today announced the arrest in Bloomington, Indiana, of SEAN ZHANG on charges of selling a misbranded and adulterated drug over the Internet. The drug, dinitrophenol, commonly known as "DNP," is a highly toxic chemical normally used in the manufacture of dyes and wood preservatives and as a pesticide, and has recently been promoted as a weight loss drug favored particularly by bodybuilders. A federal grand jury in Central Islip, New York, returned a two-count indictment against ZHANG on September 19, 2001. Last Friday, FDA agents from New York, Maryland, and Chicago field offices, with assistance from local police officers, arrested ZHANG without incident at his residence. Pursuant to a court ordered warrant, law enforcement agents also searched his residence and seized a quantity of DNP, a pill counting machine, encapsulating tools, empty pill capsules, and three computers.

The federal investigation began after the Nassau County Police Department notified agents at the FDA's Office of Criminal Investigations of the August 6, 2001 death of Eric Perrin, a 22-year-old Baldwin, Long Island, resident. The Nassau County Medical Examiner's preliminary toxicology report disclosed that DNP was present in Perrin's vital organs. The coroner who did the final autopsy on Perrin found the cause of death to be DNP poisoning. The investigation revealed that Perrin had purchased capsules of DNP from "dnp101" at Gaithersburg, Maryland, an Internet chat room that caters to bodybuilding enthusiasts. Four of those capsules were retrieved by law enforcement from Perrin's residence and have since tested positive for DNP. According to the FDA, when ingested, DNP is toxic to the liver, kidney and nervous system, and can cause increased body temperature, dehydration, rapid heartbeat, convulsions and death. (1) For additional information, contact the FDA at (301) 827-6250.

The federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act makes it illegal to introduce into interstate commerce any drug that is adulterated or misbranded with the intent to defraud or mislead consumers, and further provides that a drug is deemed to be misbranded unless it contains labeling that provides adequate directions for its use and warnings where its use may be dangerous to the user's health. The government's two-count indictment alleges that ZHANG, doing business under the chat room name "dnp101," sold and shipped capsules of DNP to Eric Perrin on July 30, 2001 and September 8, 2001. According to the affidavit filed in support of the government's application for a warrant to search ZHANG's Bloomington, Indiana residence, ZHANG abruptly moved out of his prior residence in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in mid-August shortly after Mr. Perrin's death. The affidavit further alleges that ZHANG continued to operate over the Internet from his new residence, touting DNP as "the most effective tool available today for the loss of body fat."

In announcing the indictment and arrest, Mr. VINEGRAD thanked Timothy M. Morrison, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, for his assistance, and stated, "ZHANG's indictment and arrest should send a clear message to those who would profit from the sale of unapproved drugs that we will find you, arrest you, and vigorously prosecute you in order to protect the public health and safety. We urge everyone not to use this drug as a weight loss remedy, or to ingest it for any reason. Our deepest sympathy goes out to the family and friends of Eric Perrin."

Special Agent-in-Charge McGEE stated, "The FDA's Office of Criminal Investigations is committed to protecting the public health. This case is particularly unfortunate as a death resulted from one person's greed and total disregard for human life." This afternoon in Central Islip, New York, United States District Judge Arthur D. Spatt, to whom the case has been assigned, ordered the defendant to be placed on house arrest subject to electronic monitoring and a $100,000 bond pending his arraignment at the U. S. Courthouse in Central Islip on October 11, 2001.

If convicted, the defendant faces a maximum sentence of three years imprisonment and a $250,000 fine on each of the two counts in the indictment. (2)

The government's case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney James Miskiewicz.

Defendant: Sean Zhang
Address: 1706 Williams Court, Bloomington, Indiana
DOB: 4/20/77

According to the FDA, the use of DNP in dietary preparations marketed in the 1930's, and the resulting deaths and injuries, led, in part, to the passage of the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act in 1938.

If you read the quote by SHOT, you will note that John U died from DNP poisoning as well. He was doing 600 mg per day.

THERE IS NO SAFE WAY TO USE DNP! You may survive using it 6-7 X and then die like Perrin or it may get you on the first go-around. Sort of like playing Russian Roulette. Accelerated fat loss just isn't worth that kind of risk. ;)

Meet One Of The Dealiest Dieting Drugs Ever Created

by Paul Rubinato

DNP, also known as dinitrophenol or 2,4-dinitrophenol. DNP is a crystalline yellow solid that has been used as a dye, pesticide and wood preservative. DNP isn't a new discovery and has been used as a fat burner for as long as anabolic steroids have been around. It has been studied as a potential anti-obesity drug since the late 1920's and it is, by far, the most dangerous way to lose fat that is currently available.

In 1933, a team of doctors consisting of W.C. Cutting, H.G. Mehrtens and M.L. Tainter discovered that when DNP was given to experimental animals, it caused an increase in metabolism within one minute after injection. Cutting stated that in doses of 10mg/kg of bodyweight, DNP increased the metabolic rate by up to 50 percent! With higher doses metabolism could have been increased 300% or more! They observed that while on this drug, the test animals produced so much heat so fast that they died as a result of a fever. According to this study, the effects of DNP on humans would very similar to those observed in the animals. In one study conducted in 1933, eight patients were given single doses of 3 - 5 mg per kg of bodyweight orally, resulting in a 30% increase in metabolism within the first hour alone! Using 3.5 mg/kg, Cutting demonstrated an average weight loss of two pounds per week with this study.

A later study, which appeared in the "Journal of the American Medical Association", stated that DNP, used in therapeutic dosages, caused increases in metabolism and fat loss without any changes in diet. Nitrogen excretion was never greater than intake, even when some test subjects lost five pounds of bodyweight during a single week. From this information it seemed probable that there was no actual tissue breakdown (muscle loss) from these short periods of heightened metabolism. The loss of weight was believed to be solely from stored fat. The researchers made the assumption that as long as protein intake was sufficient any reduction in bodyweight would be from fat. Sounds like an incredible fat-burner if you’re careful and don't use too much, right? Wrong! Apparently DNP at one time was used as a weight-loss drug, but its use has been abandoned because of the potential toxicity. The metabolism of all body cells is stimulated by contact with DNP. In a poisoned individual the result is an almost instantaneous increase in oxygen consumption, body temperature, heart rate and breathing rate. DNP has also been linked to depression, blood problems as well as liver and kidney damage. The usual reaction due to an overdose of DNP is characterized by the sudden onset of severe symptoms and prompt death within approx. 24 hours. In fact, original observations of the toxicity of DNP on humans came from exposure in French ammunition factories during the First World War. Apparently, some of the soldiers who were exposed to DNP in WW1 died due to a violent increase in body temperature. The really freaky part about this observation was that their body temperature continued to increase hours after their death!

Although some bodybuilders have used this compound in the past to shed extra pounds of fat, the risks this compound presents far outweigh the advantages. A lethal dose and the effective dose needed to lose fat rapidly are much too close together. A little too much DNP will send you to the hospital and perhaps to the grave. In other words, the point of this article is DON'T USE DNP! Ever.

Paul Rubinato

That's all bad news off course, but I don't see anyone dying with hours of increasing bodytemperature after death from a 200/300mg dose.

I wonder how many deaths someone could attribute to steroid use? I bet the government also claims that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) are poison also.

This thread is going nowhere. Everyone is entitled to there opinion. Nuff said.

Back