E X T R E M E L Y I M P O R T A N T

eatme

i love eating...
ok, i really need help w/ this...
my father, who is now 53, about 5'8, 180...he walks 2-3 miles everyday around a lake in the afternoons, so he is in ok shape. at his last physical, despite just getting older, he had great test results in heart, cholesterol, etc...so, he's ok...
well, the past few days, despite his full shifts as a sgt. at a prison, he has been very VERY slow and tired and hasnt wanted to get out of bed...
he is very thickheaded, and hates doctor's offices..ha..so ive been talking to him, and im the only person he would actually confide in about his current state...anyway, long story short, were making him get checked out by a doc this week, and if (hopefully) there is nothing wrong, i was wondering what i could suggest as a 'pick me up' for him...
i mean, i talked to him about DHEA,..figured a few pills a day could maybe help him...but i dont know..
so im wondering, for a man who is getting older, who is moderately active, and is feeling so drained and tired he doesnt want to get out of bed, what could i suggest he take over the counter, assuming all is ok with a checkup from the doctor...thanks a lot guys! please help!!

eatme said:
ok, i really need help w/ this...
my father, who is now 53, about 5'8, 180...he walks 2-3 miles everyday around a lake in the afternoons, so he is in ok shape. at his last physical, despite just getting older, he had great test results in heart, cholesterol, etc...so, he's ok...
well, the past few days, despite his full shifts as a sgt. at a prison, he has been very VERY slow and tired and hasnt wanted to get out of bed...
he is very thickheaded, and hates doctor's offices..ha..so ive been talking to him, and im the only person he would actually confide in about his current state...anyway, long story short, were making him get checked out by a doc this week, and if (hopefully) there is nothing wrong, i was wondering what i could suggest as a 'pick me up' for him...
i mean, i talked to him about DHEA,..figured a few pills a day could maybe help him...but i dont know..
so im wondering, for a man who is getting older, who is moderately active, and is feeling so drained and tired he doesnt want to get out of bed, what could i suggest he take over the counter, assuming all is ok with a checkup from the doctor...thanks a lot guys! please help!!
a good multi vitamin combined with a little dhea might help . if he checks out fine with the doc they would be worth a try .

if all checks out healthwise....

Perhaps it is stress related? Is he under alot of stress? When was his last vacation?
COuld be depression. Have him see a shrink under some other premiss "nuerological tests" or some shit. Depression will cause sluggishness and manifest itself physically like you wouldnt believe.

He may be sleeping like shit. Ask im if he is waking up alot. If he say no, he may not realise it. Ask the doc about a sample of ambien (assuming health checks comeback ok). Let him take it for a night or 2, if he wakes up the next morning feeling great.... well pursue that route.

As far as supps go... vitamins, hormone therapy. B-complex works nicely.
Cut down on the walking, and have him do something more invigorating.... early morning workout with push up s and jumping jacks or someting.

if it isnt an illness (pathogen), then it could be a hundred things.

hope that helps. And hope your pops feels better man.

oh, i know it sounds stupid, but have his eyes checked while he is there, as well as his thyroid levels.

Thyroid levels will destroy your energy levels, as well as have a shitload of other ripple down effects that i wont list un less you want them.

And believe it or not, his eyes may be getting bad, he may not have noticed it, and it is causing his eyes to strain and get tired. this will fatigue the hell out of him.

wow, thanks a lot gusy....yall really helped...im glad people on here are educated like this...yall are what make this board look great...thanks a lot guys!!..ill definitely ask him all the questions and suggest stuff...thanks again!!

It sounds like he needs to pay a visit to the poontang Dr.and maybe he should do a little of the old bouncy,bouncey.Were about the same age well actually he younger.Give him all the vit.min combo's that you want but it won't straighten him out like a blast from the past.There is no mention of mom? The guy needs some strange to put him on top of the world. Everything else will come in time,try it.What has he got to lose ?

haha..you completely ruin it for the rest of 'em that say that all men arent old horny clods.....however, i do have a mom..and theyve been married for like 25 years,...so yeah,....lets stop talking about that...gag

It is very commendable that you have such a deep concern for your father's health and well being.

At this point it probably wouldn't be prudent on your part to try to solve a problem that you aren't sure of the cause. Wait until he see's his doctor first. The doctor will probably run a standard blood test like a SMA 12, but you should also ask the doctor to test your father's testosterone, estrogen, thyroid, and other pertinant hormone levels. If your father has a good family practioner, (which I have found to be quite rare), he should know to test hormone levels without your asking. If your father does have a hormone imbalance his doctor will refer him to a good endocrinologist.

Hoping the best for your father!

Hope the best for your father dude, I'm sure the doc will give a good recomendation on supps. if he doesn't find anything health wise.

hey, thanks a lot yall..i really appreciate the help and concern....i want the best for my father, as im sure all of you do too...ill keep everyone updated (plus, if its good news, obviously ill brag, haha, but if its the latter, atleast i can write it out, get it off my chest.)...thanks guys!

my dad's 66 and has been through 3 open heart surgeries, and has been taking good care of himself for the last 10 probably, he would recommend a good multivitamin, melatonin, and ok here's the one people will get shook up over 200mg of test enenthate every other week! after your dad's health checks out get him on some Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), my father has confessed to thinking about suicide due to his bad health in the past. my father went from exteamly active to almost bedridden due to the heart problems. since he's been taking Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) he has never felt better, and honestly he's as happy as i've ever seen him, he feels 20years younger he tells me. women go through menapause, men go through andropause.............just a suggestion

wow..thanks a lot newgoal...i will def. take your father's advice...
we set an appt. up for him for later this week,...its a regular physical, but, like deepglute said, i told my mom to ask to have them run EVERYTHING, not just the standard look in your eyes and tell you youre fine type deal.ha...
im hoping everything works out...
i know Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) means Hormone Replacement Therapy, right?...but, what does that exactly mean? is that a way of saying get my father some good test like ive been on? (haha...)...
thanks again everyone...you know, i try my best to take care of my body, and get to where i want to be,...but damn, when its a family member, especially my father (who i just now have grown to appreciate and respect after getting older...)you gotta really fight to keep them here....
thanks a lot!

There is a thread on apnea on the board. When breathing stops during the night feeling like that in the morning is one of the indicators. Your mom may think it's just snoring. See to it that a sleep study is one of the tests.

These questions you have really need to be discussed with his doctor. You dont need to fix what isnt broken, nobody here knows your fathers previous health etc. etc. these questions can only be determined by his doc. who has seen him for perhaps several years. thank you

Back