First shot at homebrew

Wait are we suppose to let it sit for a week or is that just your preference?

As explained to me:

BA is meant to sterilize your solution. If anything small managed to get into the vial, letting it sit allows the BA to do it's job and completely sterilize it.

Everyone has a different opinion on this but I feel that letting it sit for only a week is well worth the safety factor.

As explained to me:

BA is meant to sterilize your solution. If anything small managed to get into the vial, letting it sit allows the BA to do it's job and completely sterilize it.

Everyone has a different opinion on this but I feel that letting it sit for only a week is well worth the safety factor.

There is no need to let it sit for any amount of time before pinning save to let it cool down so you don't burn your ass. LOL
BA is a preservative only!!!! It is a bacteria inhibitor ONLY not a bacteria killer!!! If bacteria made it's way into your gear in the brewing process then it is there and BA will not kill it.
So if you were sterile in your techniques then you're GTG.
I pin my gear immediately after brewing and have yet to experience an infection.

There is no need to let it sit for any amount of time before pinning save to let it cool down so you don't burn your ass. LOL
BA is a preservative only!!!! It is a bacteria inhibitor ONLY not a bacteria killer!!! If bacteria made it's way into your gear in the brewing process then it is there and BA will not kill it.
So if you were sterile in your techniques then you're GTG.
I pin my gear immediately after brewing and have yet to experience an infection.

You're partally wrong, jstarks11. It requires alot(read: 70%+) of alcohol to kill bacteria and viruses, but letting the solvent sit for aprox. one week will damage the bacteria, thus not killing any viruses. I let it sit for a week, then bake it in the oven to kill most of it. But you can never be safe. For me it's well worth the wait than to get an abcess or infection.

You're partally wrong, jstarks11. It requires alot(read: 70%+) of alcohol to kill bacteria and viruses, but letting the solvent sit for aprox. one week will damage the bacteria, thus not killing any viruses. I let it sit for a week, then bake it in the oven to kill most of it. But you can never be safe. For me it's well worth the wait than to get an abcess or infection.

Benzyl alcohol
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Benzyl alcohol
IUPAC name[hide]
Phenylmethanol
Other names[hide]
Phenylcarbinol
Identifiers
CAS number 100-51-6 Yes
ChemSpider 13860335 Yes
UNII LKG8494WBH Yes
EC-number 202-859-9
KEGG D00077 Yes
ChEBI CHEBI:17987 Yes
ChEMBL CHEMBL720 Yes
Jmol-3D images Image 1
Image 2
SMILES
[show]
InChI
[show]
Properties[1]
Molecular formula C7H8O
Molar mass 108.14 g mol***8722;1
Density 1.044 g cm***8722;3
Melting point

-15 °C, 258 K, 5 °F
Boiling point

205 °C, 478 K, 401 °F
Acidity (pKa) 15.4
Hazards
MSDS External MSDS
EU Index 603-057-00-5
Yes(what is this?) (verify)
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Infobox references

Benzyl alcohol is an organic compound with the formula C6H5CH2OH. The benzyl group is often abbreviated "Bn", thus benzyl alcohol is denoted as BnOH. Benzyl alcohol is a colorless liquid with a mild pleasant aromatic odor. It is a useful solvent due to its polarity, low toxicity, and low vapor pressure. Benzyl alcohol is partially soluble in water (4 g/100 mL) and completely miscible in alcohols and diethyl ether.
Contents
[hide]

1 Occurrence and preparation
2 Reactions
3 Applications
3.1 Nanotechnological uses
3.2 Use in health care
3.3 Other uses
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Occurrence and preparation

Benzyl alcohol is produced naturally by many plants and is commonly found in fruits and teas. It is also found in a variety of essential oils including jasmine, hyacinth, and ylang-ylang.[2]

Benzyl alcohol is prepared by the hydrolysis of benzyl chloride using sodium hydroxide:

C6H5CH2Cl + NaOH ***8594; C6H5CH2OH + NaCl

It can also be prepared via a Grignard reaction by reacting phenylmagnesium bromide (C6H5MgBr) with formaldehyde, followed by acidification.
[edit] Reactions

Like most alcohols, it reacts with carboxylic acids to form esters. In organic synthesis, benzyl esters are popular protecting groups because they can be removed by mild hydrogenolysis.[3]

Benzyl alcohol reacts with acrylonitrile to give N-benzylacrylamide. This is an example of a Ritter reaction:[4]

C6H5CH2OH + NCCHCH2 ***8594; C6H5CH2N(H)C(O)CHCH2

[edit] Applications

Benzyl alcohol is used as a general solvent for inks, paints, lacquers, and epoxy resin coatings.[5] It is also a precursor to a variety of esters, used in the soap, perfume, and flavor industries. It is often added to intravenous medication solutions as a preservative due to its bacteriostatic and antipruritic properties. It is also used as a photographic developer.

So by Wiki's def- Benzyl Alcohol is BACTERIOSTATIC.

The definition of BACTERIOSTATIC is:

A bacteriostatic agent or bacteriostat, abbreviated Bstatic, is a biological or chemical agent that stops bacteria from reproducing, while not necessarily harming them otherwise. Depending on their application, bacteriostatic antibiotics, disinfectants, antiseptics and preservatives can be distinguished. Upon removal of the bacteriostat, the bacteria usually start to grow again. This is in contrast to bactericides, which kill bacteria.[1]

Bacteriostats are often used in plastics to prevent growth of bacteria on surfaces. Bacteriostats commonly used in laboratory work include sodium azide (which is acutely toxic) and thimerosal (which is a mutagen in mammalian cells).

So as I said, Benzyl alcohol NO MATTER HOW LONG YOU LET IT SET does not and will not KILL bacteria, only stops it from reproducing and forming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just make it one week before you start your cycle. then you dont have to worry about it.

Bro, unless you have an autoclave baking isn't going to do shit. It takes lots of heat(dry heat) to kill bacteria which is next to impossible with a coventional oven and viscous solution(oil). Also, BA does not kill bacteria already in the vial, it's a preventitive against new bacteria forming IE: constantly drawing out of your vial while not being sterile.

Regarding how long until pinning newly made gear- I give it about 2 days max, buts that just my opinion on the matter and what I feel comfortable with, going as short as 1 day.

Last edited:
ok guys so i have been wanting to jump on the bandwagon for quit sometime now but been a bit skeptical, i have made up my mind to do so and try out some gear, sorry everyone i am a complete noob and i dont use the term lightly, can anyone help me out, been looking around where i live and noone can really help me, i am trying to do i guess what is called home brew but know absolutley nothing about it, want to learn a bit before i get started and then move on

newb

ok guys so i am a newb, looking to start learning a little i have done some reading but i figure who better to learn from then the pros, anyone have any advice for me like best webpages with the best knowledge any knowledge about cycles anything of the sort

ok guys so i am a newb, looking to start learning a little i have done some reading but i figure who better to learn from then the pros, anyone have any advice for me like best webpages with the best knowledge any knowledge about cycles anything of the sort

If it is knowledge about Cycles and types of cycles then you would be better served in the main forum. Look for Cobrastrike, he has the knowledge on cycles and what works best with your stats among many others.

Good call and very smart thinking (I did see the label stating it is 30mL). Again, great job! Look forward to hearing your results! :biggthump :biggthump

I know i'm quoting a ways back, but has anybody else made any labels that looked this great for their stuff? I was wanting something like that, that wouldn't bleed or look bad over time. I just use flourescent stickers with everything wrote on there..lol. I was wanting something similar though. Is it just one of those 10 to 20 dollar programs from wally world and an inkjet or laser printer?? Or does it require an expensive printer and software?? Hopefully it can be done cheaply and I just don't know about it.

About 5 years ago I had searched and searched for the clear printing paper that was made like a sticker with an adhesive back. Never found any. Went to wally world the other night and thought I'd found some, but unfortunately they were all just like a semi transparent glossy sticker, none that were just plain clear. I'm sure i'll find some somewhere. Looks like I can maybe find some thru amazon, but i'm going to check staples first.

About 5 years ago I had searched and searched for the clear printing paper that was made like a sticker with an adhesive back. Never found any. Went to wally world the other night and thought I'd found some, but unfortunately they were all just like a semi transparent glossy sticker, none that were just plain clear. I'm sure i'll find some somewhere. Looks like I can maybe find some thru amazon, but i'm going to check staples first.

Hmmm. sticky, transparent labels...
There should have existed an labelplanet or something... mabye they got one in the UK or something where you can order by phone with cheap shipping worldwide?! Dunno thou..*hint hint*

Could some one point me in the direction of where to learn more about powders?
Not like sources just more about the nomenclature or different types. It's quit confusing haha

First off, you made me look up nomenclature, which im not happy about. Second, you are going to have to be more specific about what you're wanting. If I had to point you in the right direction, I would say you are already here. Use this site (chem study section). There is a ton of info here.

Back