Having a problem wit my squats! =\

Cam01

Well, for one, I don't seem to be very strong in that dept. And I've been doing legs now for about 9 months. They're definitely growing, but not getting much stronger. I squat 225lbs x 10 which is pretty sad considering I am almost benching 300lbs.

Another thing, I dunno why but I keep farting by accident on the leg-press! Fucking embarrassing as hell! I'm trying to control my breathing, but I'm always nervous when I get to the damn machine! And since I'm pushing so hard to get the weight up, they are loud as hell!! :hahano:

Make sure your going "ass the the grass" on the squats so you can develop good form. If you have only been working legs fro 9 months you are still a beginner, you just need to work on form and the weight will come.

The farts? take some gas pills maybe? lol..

I agree - put your pride to the side and squat DEEP. Also, try hacksquats. Using a machine like the hacksquat machine will allow you to go heavier and deeper without being more dangerous - okay, there is some danger in there with the knees but once you get your brain around the fact that you are lifting heavy, adding weight to your squats will be easier too. Truly, the brain is a powerful obstacle to success in any endeavor. Without consciously thinking about it, we say, "I can't use that much weight - only big muscle monsters can do that." Know your limits, yes, but don't let your brain be a limiting factor!

agreed with both try the hacksquat or smith machine the decreased rom will alow you to concentrate on form and strengthen the muscles your using to get low,just remember to keep the weight back on your heels not forward on your toes.

agreed with both try the hacksquat or smith machine the decreased rom will alow you to concentrate on form and strengthen the muscles your using to get low,just remember to keep the weight back on your heels not forward on your toes.

Tru dat. I forgot to mention keeping the weight on the back of your heels and not on the toes. It does make a difference.

While using these may allow you to focus on FEELING the movement and feeling the muscles you are using. I think they take out the secondary muscle that are essential in developing a good squat and great legs.

I was taught by a power lifter how to lift. So I wasnt allowed to touch a machine until I knew my form and could do it with free weights.

While using these may allow you to focus on FEELING the movement and feeling the muscles you are using. I think they take out the secondary muscle that are essential in developing a good squat and great legs.

I was taught by a power lifter how to lift. So I wasnt allowed to touch a machine until I knew my form and could do it with free weights.

No doubt about it - SQUATS are king and my recommendations were not meant to replace squats - far from it. And you are right - if you squat and you aren't going deep, then you aren't really squatting.

Thanks for the responses.. Now, The reason why I don't lift much is because I keep my form! I worked out wit an actual pro bodybuilder for about a yr, and he was all about technique/form! So my form is great! Deep squats! He always tough me to not be "but-hurt" So, yeah..

you are 100% right but I dont believe he has a trainer and my rec was just to strengthen the primary movers to complete a full squat,there is NO substitute to the full ROM of free weight squats but you can really concentrate on the essentric/consentric parts of the movement to build muscle on a leg iso machine.

you are 100% right but I dont believe he has a trainer and my rec was just to strengthen the primary movers to complete a full squat,there is NO substitute to the full ROM of free weight squats but you can really concentrate on the essentric/consentric parts of the movement to build muscle on a leg iso machine.

I just switch! One week one, the other week, the other..

I never go ass to grass squatting.That is a great way to blow out your knees when you get strong.You probably wont hurt yourself with 300 lbs but do that with 700 and your knees will come apart in the hole.I go 1" past parallel max in training and that's it.ATG also exaggerates form issue's with a new lifter.Best advice I can give is have someone that is competent and strong teach you how to squat properly.It's hard to describe proper squat form online.

The guy that taught me how to squat is in the powerlifting Hall Of Fame and considered by most to be one of the top ten powerlifters in history.I put 300 lbs on my squat in a year with him training me and I'm still getting stronger.I'm not built like your typical short thick body PL'er either,I have a NFL linebackers build.

all good advice here

i will say though i do squats and hack squats same day-squats is kinda of a test for me to how strong i am-but i can only go so heavy for so long before my back starts to weaken. thats when i jump on the hack squat machine and get my reps in.

i tend to notice when i do squats and stay on my heels it tends to bring more ass and hammys into the mix instead of concentrating on quads.

when i hit the hack squat i jump to my toes and smash the quads-and calves

I was lucky enough to catch Olympian, and S&C coach for several pro fighters, Dr. Rhadi Ferguson at my gym one day(he lives in the same town) and worked in on legs with him. He preached the ATG method as well, and he was repping 315 with his butt touching the heels of his shoes. He also gave me a good saying to live by in the gym, keep it light and do it right.

I never go ass to grass squatting.That is a great way to blow out your knees when you get strong.You probably wont hurt yourself with 300 lbs but do that with 700 and your knees will come apart in the hole.I go 1" past parallel max in training and that's it.ATG also exaggerates form issue's with a new lifter.Best advice I can give is have someone that is competent and strong teach you how to squat properly.It's hard to describe proper squat form online.

The guy that taught me how to squat is in the powerlifting Hall Of Fame and considered by most to be one of the top ten powerlifters in history.I put 300 lbs on my squat in a year with him training me and I'm still getting stronger.I'm not built like your typical short thick body PL'er either,I have a NFL linebackers build.

i agree with what your saying but you have to admit most new squatters are doing half squats at best and they would think parallel is ass to grass lol.

9 months is not very long. I agree on good form. Try to incorporate other variations of the squats as well as other excersizes that will make your squat go up. Ever try Zerchers?

change your rep scheme and superset. i superset regular squats with front squats usually, and use a different rep scheme each week. you need to keep your body guessing. here are some of my last rep schemes:
8x8
pyramid(6,8,10,12,10,8,6)
6x6
pyramid(12,10,8,6,8,10,12)

Back