heavy weights low reps

house1

Community Veteran
i am getting away from it for a while. i am getting strong as a fuck but am not growing like i want to be.

i will be backing down the weights uping the reps abit 10 to 15 range and working towards getting high reps with the heavy weight i am doing low reps with now.

still with me :D

sometimes you have to change your whole system to get things going again.

its that time for me now.

been doing heavy 6 reps. i backed the weight down today abit and did 10 to 15 rep sets for chest.[mostly15 reps sets]

my chest is fried right now.

i will train like this for a while and see how my body responds.

house1 said:
been doing heavy 6 reps. i backed the weight down today abit and did 10 to 15 rep sets for chest.[mostly15 reps sets]

nothing wrong with shocking the body and letting your joints have a little rest but dont stay away from heavy weights to long imo the only to get really thick is to lift heavy , some may disagree but i believe it stand next to a powerlifter who can lift serious weight [ ed coan as an example ] his thickness is incredible even compared to a bodybuilder

I Been doing alot more powerlifting movements, i'm trying to stay away from the bodybuilding kinda, I just want those big thick muscles.
Ya I agree it is good to lift heavy, but the wear and tear on the body is a little much. Like DADAWG said don't stay away from the heavy weight too long. I would say a month max, just too see if have any changes.

But how much longer do u have on your diet?

why don't aim for 8-12 instead of 15 ?

or if you can work with stripping method, go for 10 and strip down for 2 to 5 more. or work out something w/ rest pause. hitting for something like 12.

but if you keep your max workload between the 8-12 reps range, it should give you great gain.

also, for mass, i try to be really explosive on the positive part of the movement and really slow on the negative part.

anyway, my 2 cents on this one.
you're the one who knows his body, but I never had size gains on reps higher than 15.

if you can get it to 12 and keep on increasing weights, you should do pretty good.

bass, i will be doing the 15 rep range for about 2 weeks bro. just to give the body something different.

then i will be upping the weight and doing the 8 to 10 rep range [my favorite]. 10 reps is was i am shooting for with heavy fucking weight brother.

the stripping method is a killer after a heavy set. will be doing that at the end of my core lifts.

house1 said:
bass, i will be doing the 15 rep range for about 2 weeks bro. just to give the body something different.

then i will be upping the weight and doing the 8 to 10 rep range [my favorite]. 10 reps is was i am shooting for with heavy fucking weight brother.

the stripping method is a killer after a heavy set. will be doing that at the end of my core lifts.

15 for 1-2 week is a great loading period.

that should be a good training then. hope you'll get even more massive with it. best of luck bro.

house1 said:

I train like this when on,six rep range... and when off, i do as you are doing now, and i back the weight off a bit and increase the reps from a minimum of e to 12...this kept me my good gains that i got while on, and i did not lose anything from my maxes, the only hard thing i found was that i did not have the wind at first to increase the reps...but, that came soon...

E

east, wind is my biggest problem. high reps kill me. i am trying to build up a bit more stamina

Nice. That two weeks of High Reps will also get your heart rate pumping. Excellant way of shocking the muscles House. I'll give you a week and a half until you start hitting your Heavy weights again. Your gonna miss it too much! :)

I get winded also when doing HIT or similar style training. Taking in alot of O before lifts helps, can't we just bring around oxygen tanks like at football games? :p

smack, i wish i could carry around an oxygen tank.lol

your right on the week and a half brother. this is week one and i am iching to grab the big weights already

house1 said:
smack, i wish i could carry around an oxygen tank.lol

your right on the week and a half brother. this is week one and i am iching to grab the big weights already
whats bad is when your a big guy , out of air and down on the floor flat on your back because the dbol pump is crippling:D the little old ladies peeking in from the other room really like it:eek:

House, what kind of weight your throwing around for 15 reps? just curious since you are a big bastard.

mp5, instead of doing 150 lb db s for incline bench i am doing 120's for 15, 3 sets

i have dropped the weight quite abit in everything since i started this. so far so good though.

God damn you are a strong fucker.

You do any barbell work? I dropped the weight and upped the reps to 12 last night on bench, i was just not feeling up to heavy weight and low reps last night.

mp5, i dont do much with barbells . i will throw them in once in awhile for something different. i stay away from flat bench barbell. kills my shoulders

i love dumbells - i feel you get more range of motion with them

I did dumbells only for a year and a half and just got to the point where I did not get pumped much from them, not too sore, and no more gains. I have been doing flatbench for a month now and it is shooting up like crazy like the old days. As soon as I plateau on flat I will go back to dumbells. Incline dumbells that is.

house1 said:
mp5, i dont do much with barbells . i will throw them in once in awhile for something different. i stay away from flat bench barbell. kills my shoulders

i love dumbells - i feel you get more range of motion with them
i cant flat bench heavy with my shoulders either so i use reverse grip when i go heavy on barbell benches

Back