Help :)

LucyB

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I started back at the gym 4 weeks ago. I’m 5’6 and well – eeek – 168 lbs. Three years ago I was 125, fit and looked great – I had beautiful 17’ calves that were shaped like softballs and now they’re gone. Unfortunately, when I’m stressed I eat.

Anyway, because of a serious shoulder injury my boyfriend was unable to work-out – it’s taken 2 years for him to fully heal and he just got the doctors ok to work-out again – As I wanted to lose weight we decided to join the gym together. I’m getting very frustrated though and here’s why:

In the past three weeks he has increased his muscle size so dramtically he seems to be popping out of his shirt. Since we work out together I’ve noticed dramatic increases in his strength as well. What’s worse is we do the exact same work-out together and I am not getting any results. He started at two plates on bench-press(135?) and now works out with 4 plates (225?) with ease. Also he was squatting only 2 plates per side when we started and he’s up to 4. He laughs and tells me it’s only muscle memory (he used to be a bodybuilder) and his body is genetically prone to put on muscle. But why can he make so many gains after 3 weeks and I have yet to see any? Neither of us has seen a gym in 2 years and it’s like he was born there.

He told me I’m not getting enough protein (he recommends 200-250grams per day), but thinks the program he’s on may not be working for me. He suggested I might be more comfortable speaking to other women and directed to me to this forum. Here’s the info regarding my work-out and diet:

Strength Training:
I’m an Endomorph. He put me on heavy weights for 6 reps at 3sets. Each body part is trained with 4 different exercises consisting of 3 sets made up of 6 reps (sorry my terminology maybe off). I have gained some strength but see no noticeable reduction in fat or increase is my muscle size. (Although I have lost 5 lbs so far – which I think is rather poor IMHO). Again he thinks this maybe wrong for me since it is more geared toward bulding larger muscles (which is actually what I want).

Goals:
I really like the look of female bodybuilders rather than fitness women. I'd rather be bigger than leaner (I know it's strange, but after seeing Lenda Murray - I think the look is beautiful).

Training:

Monday: Chest, Quads (cardio)
Interval Training: Sprinting (15 minutes - 30 secs on, 30 secs off )

Tuesday: Biceps, Triceps, Calves (cardio)

Wednesday: Off
Interval Training: Sprinting (15 minutes - 30 secs on, 30 secs off )

Thursday: Back, Squats, Calves

Friday: Shoulder, Hamstrings

Sat: Interval Training: Sprinting (15 minutes - 30 secs on, 30 secs off )

Diet:
I do tend to miss a lot of meals during the day - does it make that big of a difference? My meals are usually low carbs and of complex type – no pasta – sometimes a bit of rice. I probably eat twice a day plus a shake. The meals are very small.

Supplements:
1 Protein shake (60 grams) after work out.

Please, please help. What am I doing right, what am I doing wrong? Should I just listen to my boyfriend and start eating lots more protein? Do I need more supplements? Am I wishing for results too fast? Am I wrong to compare to my boyfriend body (who tells me it’s all about genetics and be patient) to my own? Errr, I hate not knowing what I’m doing and I hate not seeing results.

One day I want to look like those beautiful women in the magazines.

When you all started was it this slow to start?

Best Regards,

Lucy B.

i will leave the advice to the very knowledgeable ladies here but i do want to say hell and welcome :)

Hi LucyB,
Im a newbie also to the board so Im gonna let the experts answer, but I will say diet and not missing meals is a VERY important part of the equation if you are trying to put on Muscle and increase strength.

When im training hard I try to eat 5-6 (counting shakes) small, clean, high protein meals a day.

Good Luck!!

Hey Lucy B..
Welcome aboard!! It is great to have a female that is as hardcore with her lifting as you!!!

ok.. here is my input..
Your training is on target, but your diet is the problem.. you said so yourself, you are NOT eating enough..

think of your body like a car.. if you do not put fuel in the tank, ya ain't gonna go anywhere :) lol

so girl, you need to get working on that diet.. i would say to build muscle go for 6 small meals a day comprised of protein, carbs and fats.. You can also use shakes, but do try to get at least 3 real meals.. Your protein intake should be a minimum of 168grams a day and keep your carbs complex as you have been..

also, do NOT compare yourself to your man.. that is just ridiculous honey :) us women do have a harder time and results do tend to take longer.. But he may have better genetics and you bet muscle has memory, so that may be the reason he is excelling a bit quicker, but once you get your diet going, you will start seeing some dramatic results!!!

so start eating.. bring your food with you everywhere you go if you have to.. plan out all your meals.. time they all down to every 3 hours at the most.. You can do this!! But it does all boil down to diet :)
~2000 cals a day, ~170g of protein a day = 765 cals... so there is 1235 cals left for your carbs and fats..

hope that helps
luv super

i agree with supergirl, you definitely need to do something about the diet, i would be miserable and have no energy if i ate 2 meals a day with a protien shake.

here's a little sample of diet, you can tailor to your own tastes, but it gives an idea of what to eat, etc.

Meal 1: eggs/egg whites/egg beaters, old fashioned oatmeal or 1 sl of whole grain bread.

Meal 2: protein drink (low carb or moderate carb)

Meal 3: chicken with spinach salad or with brown rice or with sweet potatoes

Meal 4: banana with peanut butter

Meal 5: beef/chicken/turkey/tuna/whatever with again brown rice/sweet potatoes

Meal 6: almonds or protien pudding (non fat milk, sugar free/fat free instant pudding and add one scoop of protein powder, low carb variety == prepare according to package directions).

another example:

Meal 1- 4 egg whites, 1 whole
1/2 c. oatmeal
4 oz. lean ground beef
Meal 2- Shake w/ 3 strawberries, 1 tsp. flax
Meal 3- 6oz. Chicken or tuna
4 oz. sweet pot.
1c. green veggies
Meal 4-same as meal 2
Meal5- 6oz white fish, turkey or chicken
2c. green veggies
2tsp. flax

i'm not a diet expert, maybe some other ladies will chime in and give you some other ideas!

Last edited:

Thank-you all very much!

I'll try increasing my meals and use those sample diets.

I'll post back my results in 3 weeks :)

Best Regards,

Lucy B.

One thing I would add in for sure is some essential fatty acids. Use flax oil in your shakes. You can use hemp oil instead if u want. I don't taste the flax in my shakes. I would suggest the oil over the capsules as you'll need to take far to many capsules to equal what is in one tablespoon of flax oil. If you don't like the flax, you can get a great blend called Udo's Ultimate Oil Blend, it actually tastes not bad.;)

barleans flax isnt too bad either. It has a bad aftertaste at first, but after a few doses, it tastes kind of nutty.

Back