HGH -- Timing of inject discussion

Well, Biggie........I pretty much already made my argument on this topic in that old Steroidology thread that was cited above. That was an excellent discussion with some smart people who showed mutual respect for one another's opinion. That thread caused me to sink an anchor here at this well-run forum.

Not much has changed in the science since then, so the issue still centers around three questions. There is no doubt that exoGH suppresses endoGH production. But how much and for how long? Not to disagree with the famous people you mentioned, but it seems to me that the case for night time injections comes from science involving the study of people with non-functioning pituitary glands. Of course, these people would want to inject before bed, because the largest percentage of endoGH is produced during REM sleep. This would be in keeping with the body's natural rhythms.

I prefer the AM/late afternoon approach, because these are times when our natural production of endoGH is nil. Even though there may be some lingering suppression by bedtime, it is not complete suppression for sure. This allows us to utilize endoGH at it's peak production time and maximize results. More bang for the buck, and exoGH ain't cheap.

And then there is the insulin problem. ExoGH causes insulin resistance. If you are moderately hypoglycemic while asleep, you won't get the most from the GH. And if you use insulin, like I do, to compliment the GH, bedtime is out of the question. If you don't use insulin, then bedtime may be OK.

Here's the kicker. I now use Nutropin Depot exclusively, so all the "time to inject" arguments are null and void. As you know, Depot releases gradually for 30 days after injecting. This dramatically changes the way I use insulin as well. I have found that modest doses of timed release all-day insulins are best with Depot.

Last edited:
Ironmaster, if i'm gonna take 6-9 iu's/day with slin(Humalog), would it be a good idea to split my dose into 3 shots either 2 iu/3 x day or 3 iu/ 3 x day, the first two shots with my slin shots(upon waking and post workout), then take the last dose before bed. would this be good idea, if not let me know the best way to, split those doses with my slin as well. last cycle i slpit 4.5 iu's twice a day with my slin shots.
thanks-Swoll1
p.s. -i sent u a pm a few days ago about this, so if u would rather answer this through pm it would be cool. either way thanks.

Biggie....I set next to Tom Prince during the Olympia 2003.....I asked him if he remembered me....lol....I said I was the kid asking you all this shit about HGH....lol....

Then we went to a table in the VIP section and we got to talk for 10min or so.....Tom is a very nice guy....he seems very honest.....he told me he rather tell me the truth and the correct way so I don't end up fucking up my body....

He told me the exact same thing what he said before....

He does 4ius of HGH at night time...on bulking cycles......on comp prep he does 6ius before bed time...

He said why would you waste your HGH during the day if at that time you don’t use it….
You only use it at night to repair and grow your muscles….

Then he also said he cycles 6 ON 3-4 off…..on the off time he uses Clomid, Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG), sometimes some Nolvadex….I’m sure he also throws in there some insulin but he said he doesn’t use slin that much….
I had a very good time talking to him there…..I also saw Chris Cook..he sat right in front of me…nice guy also….

sonis9 said:
i believe a little of both ways is best!! if you are useing it to bulk your prolly in the 8iu a day range. this is were i believe it would be best to spilt it up in to morning and pre-bedtime. for fat loss you will use less so i would suggest before bedtime only in this case!!

WOW 8 IU's :eek:

Ya, Tom seems to shoot straight from the hip. Thanks for sharing that J.

I guess Im gonna hijack my own thread here and note something. This would be about the 4th instance that I have read of a serious bodybuilder using more growth during cutting then bulking. I know BigJew was using up to 12 IU's/day before his win at the NPC Jr. Nats this past year. Now Jyzza has told us about Tom Prince using more when cutting and I know a couple NPC Amateurs that use more GH during cutting then bulking. Anybody have any theories on why some people do this? I mean, from most of what I have read about GH, most people use more when bulking, not when cutting.

btw, I just started my GH yesterday. Took a bed time shot and could not get to bed until about 3 hours after the shot. Woke up this morning and was very, very close to puking. I guess that could be attributed to a couple different things but I've never had quite that same feeling ever before.

Biggie, thats some weird sides, I;ve been on for over 2 months and never noticed that, just numb hands and really tired

needsize said:
Biggie, thats some weird sides, I;ve been on for over 2 months and never noticed that, just numb hands and really tired

Ya, tell me about it. After I felt that way this morning I was trying to remember if you said anything about feeling that way when you started your GH. Like I said though, it could be from some other things. ie. new diet, new AAS, etc.....

You can't avoid suppression of endogenous GH secretion regardless of when you administer it...
As little as 3 IU's of GH can increase IGF-1 for > 24 hours, and IGF-1 can suppress GH via negative feedback loop...

In that study from the thread I posted, the suppression peaked in the period from 6-12 hours after GH administration...

More frequent GH administration can give better IGF-1 response & possibly also better lipolytic effect because the lipolytic effect correlates with plasma GH...

If you administer it early in the morning there should be little suppression of endo secretion during the night, maybe you would get better fat loss results & IGF-1 response that way....

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/85/2/601

hhajdo said:
You can't avoid suppression of endogenous GH secretion regardless of when you administer it...
As little as 3 IU's of GH can increase IGF-1 for > 24 hours, and IGF-1 can suppress GH via negative feedback loop...

In that study from the thread I posted, the suppression peaked in the period from 6-12 hours after GH administration...

More frequent GH administration can give better IGF-1 response & possibly also better lipolytic effect because the lipolytic effect correlates with plasma GH...

If you administer it early in the morning there should be little suppression of endo secretion during the night, maybe you would get better fat loss results & IGF-1 response that way....

Solid info...thanks hhajdo.

swoll1 said:
Ironmaster, if i'm gonna take 6-9 iu's/day with slin(Humalog), would it be a good idea to split my dose into 3 shots either 2 iu/3 x day or 3 iu/ 3 x day, the first two shots with my slin shots(upon waking and post workout), then take the last dose before bed. would this be good idea, if not let me know the best way to, split those doses with my slin as well. last cycle i slpit 4.5 iu's twice a day with my slin shots.
thanks-Swoll1
p.s. -i sent u a pm a few days ago about this, so if u would rather answer this through pm it would be cool. either way thanks.

You don't want to use insulin before bed, brother. You need to be awake to take in the proper nutrition at the right times after the insulin shot. And you sure don't want to get hypoglycemic during deep sleep.
It would be better to take the last insulin at least 3 to 4 hours before retiring. You could do a three way split w/o insulin at the bedtime GH injection, or just twice a day.

hhajdo.......good point regarding IGF-1. GH/insulin, IGF-1 work hand in hand.

Ironmaster, i didn't mean to take the 3rd dose with slin, i meant the two shots with slin(morning and postworkout), then the third dose by itself before bed. So, maybe i'll split it 3 x day as stated.(either 2-3 iu's 3 x day)
Also what do you think the best time for my girl to take it, she's been taking 2iu's upon waking in the morning, do you think nighttime shot would be more beneficial?(for fat-loss)
well, thank for the help as usual Ironmaster!
-Swoll1

BiggieSwolls said:
Ya, Tom seems to shoot straight from the hip. Thanks for sharing that J.

I guess Im gonna hijack my own thread here and note something. This would be about the 4th instance that I have read of a serious bodybuilder using more growth during cutting then bulking. I know BigJew was using up to 12 IU's/day before his win at the NPC Jr. Nats this past year. Now Jyzza has told us about Tom Prince using more when cutting and I know a couple NPC Amateurs that use more GH during cutting then bulking. Anybody have any theories on why some people do this? I mean, from most of what I have read about GH, most people use more when bulking, not when cutting.

btw, I just started my GH yesterday. Took a bed time shot and could not get to bed until about 3 hours after the shot. Woke up this morning and was very, very close to puking. I guess that could be attributed to a couple different things but I've never had quite that same feeling ever before.

BTW, biggie.......those symptoms sound like low blood sugar. I did 16 weeks of bedtime GH injections a couple years ago (no insulin). Sometimes I would sleep heavy and have weird, vivid dreams. Sometimes I would be restless and wake up feeling like shit. I found that if I had a high glycemic drink handy to sip during the night, I would sleep better and feel better. Or some candy or whatever. That's just me though. I get mild hypo even with Depot if I don't keep my carbs up all the time.

Swoll1, your wife could try both ways for a while each and see how it goes. I assume she is not using gear or anything else. My wife prefers the AM. I correspond with 2 pro women bodybuilders One swears by bedtime injects and the other splits doses like I do. I think it's an individual thing when no insulin is involved.

Ironmaster, she sometimes takes a little AAS, mainly low dose Anavar(like 5-7.5mg's) or Winstrol (winny) tabs(like 6 mg's), but i will let her know about the advice you gave, thanks again.
-Swoll1

hhajdo said:

Great info

JohnnyB

everbody has their own way of doing thing just because something works for another dosent mean its going to work exactly the same for you . the way i do Gh is split into two shots one right when i get up with T3 and what ever im injecting for the day , and the other right after my workout . i tried injecting before bedtime but did some research and found out that when you inject at night your hindering your own natural GH release . so if you dont inject at night then you have 3 GH releases two injections and one natural release .

g32 said:
everbody has their own way of doing thing just because something works for another dosent mean its going to work exactly the same for you . the way i do Gh is split into two shots one right when i get up with T3 and what ever im injecting for the day , and the other right after my workout . i tried injecting before bedtime but did some research and found out that when you inject at night your hindering your own natural GH release . so if you dont inject at night then you have 3 GH releases two injections and one natural release .

Read some of the article posted. There is a lot of great info in this thread.

If you shoot twice a day, you will need to keep your doses low, as you can effect your natural secretion at night.

Im bumping this post up. What if you sleep twice a day, does that affect endogenous gh production or not?

My girl freinds little brother takes HGH becauz of his small size! He takes on shot a day and it is at night

Back