HIIT Cardio, The best Cardio for weight loss ?

I want to try HIIT also but i have one question,
I'm currently weight training and training for Triathlons.
I don't know how many days I should only be doing HIIT and/or my (running, swimming, and biking) and when to weight train.

I dnt want to lose the muscle I am trying to build while trying to do High intensity interval training

HIIT is amazing. It's the only cardio I do. Helped me lose 60+ lbs back when I started exercising n eating healthy. Circuit training followed by HIIT is off the hook for weight loss

Recovery Length

The recovery length also impacts the effects of HIIT. This is the walking or jogging portion of the workout that allows your muscles time to recover.
The length of recovery is relative to the sprint interval. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recovery for 30 seconds, the ratio is 1:1If you sprint for 15 seconds and recover for 45 seconds, the ratio is 3:1.

The longer the recovery in relation to the sprint interval (2 or 3:1), the more effort you can exert in the next interval.
This increased effort will again result in a stronger HGH release.
Additionally, longer recovery reduces the risk of overtraining.

A short recovery relative to the sprint interval (1:1) results in lactic acid buildup, glycogen depletion, and a greater after-burn effect (EPOC).
However, this can lead to a greater risk of overtraining.

QUOTE]

My trainer friend told me to do the sprints, and told me about the length of secords to do them for, but I never asked him the part about the recovery and have found myself resting for varied amounts of time because of being uncertain. This is EXACTLY the information I need. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
For me I do my Cardio before my workouts, I just don't have the energy I need to do my cardio post workout, I'm doing HIIT twice a day now (on my off days) and the other 2 days I do cardio pre-workout, I usually wait at lesat an hour to do my workout after cardio.
The other tow days I do low intesity cardio, and it seems to be workig good for me.

Everone is different. For me, I do cardio last becuase if I do it first I just don't have the energy to lift the weights.

You can't get to the place you need to be (stressing your muscle) without challening it to the breaking point. One set of light weights, one set of where you need to be, and the last set is a few reps of pushing more than that in order to challenge the muscles. I'm only lifting for strength and maintaining a slim body, not for building.

I do cardio last. I push the muscles as thoroughly as I can, and then do cardio before running out the door.

I just got my daily motivation. Off to the gym now. Just for something new (you always need to mix it up) I'll try the cardio first and see how it goes today.

OK, I tried the cardio first. I got a lot more cardio in because I had more energy for the sprints and went longer. But I had less energy for the weights. (I probably should have done chest/back instead of legs today!) I prefer lifting weights and think that I get more out of it so I'll likely stick to the sprints afterwards. I can still run some very fast sprints when I do it afterwards.

OK, I tried the cardio first. I got a lot more cardio in because I had more energy for the sprints and went longer. But I had less energy for the weights. (I probably should have done chest/back instead of legs today!) I prefer lifting weights and think that I get more out of it so I'll likely stick to the sprints afterwards. I can still run some very fast sprints when I do it afterwards.

Mixed it up today. I lifted weights first, and then did cardio. What a difference! I had loads of energy for the weights, but hardly any for the sprints! And my leg hurt when I was running, so I sprinted less today.

My conclusion is, whichever you feel is most important, do that first!

Back in ww2 they used to call this fartlik training.

I've always incorporated it somehow in my workouts and its outstanding...

First, you don't need to sprint, but you do need to find a full body polymeric exercise...

My suggestion is grab a heart monitor and gauge various activities (fyi -- i did this for a few days a couple years ago and 1 remarkable eureka that i found was that simply shooting around a basketball by myself at 50% intensity produced a higher heart rate than ANYTHING that could be done on the standard cardio machines (bike, treadmill, ellipse)...

However, since i don't have access to a basketball court anymore,, i just bounce from those machines to the weights. . Yeah yeah,,, i fully understand the whole "burn glycogen with progressive resistance and not using it up on cardio" theory, but i do best when i bounce back and forth.... A great stationary "sprint" intensity type exercise is vertical leaps.... WORKS THE WHOLE FREAKING BODY if done correctly.

Example workout...

10 minutes warm up on the bike (that 10 minutes doesn't start until i reach 140 heart rate)....

40 minutes HIGH INTENSITY, heavy lifting, supersetting various muscles until your heart is blowing out of your chest...

IMMMEDIATELY back on the bike for 10-15 minutes letting your heart rate come down a little but still no lower than 140

Then back to heavy lifting for 15-20 minutes..

This type of routine does a number of different things for me:

1) Warms up my muscles,, reduces injury.
2) Takes my body through various activity phases, intensity levels
3) Allows my lactic acid to relax a bit when my workout gets too intense.
4) Allows me to rehydrate
5) Allows me to rebuild mental intensity during the low intensity phases while still burning fat.

Too many people waste time in the gym chit chatting, talking on cell phones, staring at themselves in the mirror, or bugging the shit out of the hot chick who wants to get work done...... when they can be pushing the limits of their heart rate... Action oriented should be the goal. Don't stop moving.

HIIT Story

Hey guys, I just want to share my experience. I have been working out for around 20 years now.. on and off b/c of life, kids, etc. I've been working out consistently for over a year now. I just started HIIT Training, I always thought you had to do sprints, which is rough for me w/ shin splints, knees, etc. I've also found that the heart rate is more important than how far you go, statistics on the bike, elliptical, treadmill, etc..

I just started on the tread mill which I have never used, only elliptical, bike, etc. (seems to be much less impact than running on the street) 1 minute fast, 1 minute slow for 20 min.. then circuit training, 5 exercises 2 times in a row, then HIIT for 10 more min, then same 5 exercises 2 more times in a row.. 4 days (Mon, Tue, Wed, Fri) on 3 days off (Thu, Sat, Sun)..

I haven't had workouts like this since I wrestled. HIIT works. I finally see a way to lose the extra pounds and plan on dropping 20-30 in the next 3-4 months. Just excited about it so I figured I'd share. Good luck everybody...

HIIT is excellent but should remain as a supplementary tool. Too much of one thing is not a good thing.

Before HIIT make sure you get in a low-carb protein shake to keep your muscle solid and burn the glycogen stores.

Post-workout is best for low-moderate cardio to burn fat stores.

Use it on Off days or early morning to spike an insulin response.

Cheers brothas. HIIT it up :)

Totally agree with HIIT cardio - its the shit!! I run 45 mins though - the first 15 being a steady interval rate and then running a 1:2 ratio HIIT for the next 30 mins. Id like to believe that wtv energy I have left over after workout is depleted from the steady state and after 15 mins my body is rdy for HIIT!!

Looking for good supplements

hi there all, that sounds like a great exercise to do, what is it, i have never heard of it and also does anyone know of a good fat burner, to help me out cheers
Is it the best cardio for weight loss ?
While you can achieve your weight loss goal by combining diet, strength training, and even steady state cardio, HIIT can take your fat burning to the next level. IMO.

What is HIIT?

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training.
You work really hard for a short burst and then have an active recovery period.
You would repeat this workout routine numerous times for the best effect.

The Benefits of HIIT

Ramps up fat burning.
HIIT provides a great workout for your legs.
The intense intervals allow for the release of fatty acids into the bloodstream. Additionally, HIIT results in increased HGH levels.
Finally, and possibly most importantly, HIIT results in EPOC, an after-burn effect which causes you to burn calories for hours after your workout is completed.

Sprint Interval Length

There are a few components of HIIT that you can vary. The first is the length of the sprint intervals. Shorter intervals of 15-30 seconds allow you to exert more effort during the sprints. This increased level of effort will result in a stronger release of HGH. Additionally, these shorter intervals will release more fatty acids into the bloodstream.

Longer intervals of greater than 30 seconds require more perceived effort. These result in a greater number of calories burned. Additionally, these longer intervals deplete glycogen levels (carbs) allowing your body to burn more fat after the completion of a workout.

Recovery Length

The recovery length also impacts the effects of HIIT. This is the walking or jogging portion of the workout that allows your muscles time to recover.
The length of recovery is relative to the sprint interval. If you sprint for 30 seconds and recovery for 30 seconds, the ratio is 1:1If you sprint for 15 seconds and recover for 45 seconds, the ratio is 3:1.

The longer the recovery in relation to the sprint interval (2 or 3:1), the more effort you can exert in the next interval.
This increased effort will again result in a stronger HGH release.
Additionally, longer recovery reduces the risk of overtraining.

A short recovery relative to the sprint interval (1:1) results in lactic acid buildup, glycogen depletion, and a greater after-burn effect (EPOC).
However, this can lead to a greater risk of overtraining.

The first phase

The first part of the workout is short interval HIIT with a long recovery ratio.
For these intervals, you sprint 15 seconds and recover (jog) for 45 seconds.

You can beging with a warm up for 2 minutes and then perform 8 sets of this type of HIIT for a total workout of 10 minutes.

For the second phase, You could perform 25 minutes of steady state cardio (light paced jog)
This provides an active recovery for your muscles.

The final phase
Is performing long interval HIIT with short recovery periods.
This will fully deplete your body of glycogen allowing for a greater after-burn effect and fat burning once your workout is complete. You could perform 1 minute sprint intervals with 1 minute of jogging.

The sprint intervals for this portion are not as intense as the first phase, by necessity as your muscles will be slightly tired. It’s best to keep this final phase to around 10 minutes as well.

So there you have a 45 minute HIIT workout that I believe is the best cardio for weight loss. This routine should allow you to burn belly fat fast no matter how close or far you are from your ideal weight.

I personally love HIIT cardio, I'm currently doingit 2X a week, and getting great results.

Back