Holy lower back pumps!

lifter121

I'm in my 5th week of my test e cycle, 400mg/wk, everything is going great so far, up 8 pounds of solid weight and not water or fat. Strength is going up nicely and all that jazz. Well this morning I went to the gym and did legs, all wide stance, squat, hack squat, then leg extensions and leg curls, and calf raises. Legs felt great, weight feels lighter. Very very happy with how my first cycle is going.

I went running this afternoon, my normal routine 6 mile run. Well about 2 miles in my lower back started to tighten up a bit, nothing to serious yet. I kept the pace the same and continued running, made it about another half a mile and my lower back just felt like all the muscles seized up. It hurt just to walk let alone keep running. The only time I have ever felt my lower back pump up while I am running is when my running shoes are worn out, but the pair I have now are only a few weeks old.

Is it normal for muscles to pump up like this about half way through a test e cycle?

My current supplements are:
Taurine 4000mg per day
Magnesium 750mg per day
Potasium 300mg per day
L-Glutamine 3000mg per day
B6 200mg per day
Red yeast rice 1200mg per day
Fish oils 3000mg per day

I always run a lot, never had anything like this happen. The only difference is I am on test e. Is there anything I can do to prevent this or is it just something I will have to deal with until the end of the cycle? I do all the proper stretching, warm ups etc. Thanks for any imput, it is appreciated.

u've gained nearly 10lbs of lean bodyweight in 5 weeks... that's a lot of weight for your body to adjust to in a short amount of time. This is the major cause of "back pumps"... one thing to consider is stop running... there's a reason why most people that run don't carry much bodyweight ;) do cardio in forms that are not so high impact like fast pace walking on a treadmill at a slight incline, stepper, eliptical, bike etc...

if your weight keeps increasing the back pumps will only get worse... I'm 5'10" 245 and I don't ever think about running anymore haha

u've gained nearly 10lbs of lean bodyweight in 5 weeks... that's a lot of weight for your body to adjust to in a short amount of time. This is the major cause of "back pumps"... one thing to consider is stop running... there's a reason why most people that run don't carry much bodyweight ;) do cardio in forms that are not so high impact like fast pace walking on a treadmill at a slight incline, stepper, eliptical, bike etc...

if your weight keeps increasing the back pumps will only get worse... I'm 5'10" 245 and I don't ever think about running anymore haha

Ya that's a good point, I also run with a camel pack on and that is probably another 8 or so pounds. I will run without the pack on and see if it goes away. It was just weird though that it seemed to happen out of the blue. I have always ran for training for racing, but the extra weight does make sense.

Running seems to be the only thing that actually gets my heart rate going, I can run on a treadmill and it is way easier, and cycling is boring lol. Wow, 245 at 5 10, that is damn impressive. I couldn't imagine adding 40 pounds on to my body! Thanks for the advice!

Its water retention....

You need to clean diet completely and keep tabs on accurate water intake...

Sure that is no fun while mass gaining but neither is shitty workout from lower back stiffness --- bye bye bent rows, squats, deads ...etc

-Matt

Its water retention....

You need to clean diet completely and keep tabs on accurate water intake...

Sure that is no fun while mass gaining but neither is shitty workout from lower back stiffness --- bye bye bent rows, squats, deads ...etc

-Matt

Diet is good, no cheat days, low sodium, water intake is 2+ gallons per day. I always run a lot, always have for racing training. I have drank 2+ gallons of water per day for the last 5 years, and ran for as long. I have very good cardio, and as stated it is probably just the extra weight and my body not being used to it. My back hasn't tightened up at all while lifting yet. Only 1 time and it was while I was running. I am going to try to run today without the camel pack, because I am about 8 pounds up and the camel pack also weighs about 8 pounds so if my back stops hurting while I am running today I'll know that was it. Thank you for your advice!

When I used dbol I felt the same way just doing everyday stuff. Use a warming pad and ease up on the running Bro lol nice gains by the way

Wow that would suck! My back loosened up pretty quickly after I stopped running, but it did take about 10 minutes to feel normal. My goals for this cycle were not to get as big as possible, but to get stronger while getting more athletic. I am a professional athlete, motocross, and now train other professional racers and make my living being in better shape than everyone else. Who would want to work with a trainer who is in worse shape than you are lol? But my first cycle I just wanted to get my feet wet, I am not going for a full blown bulk but I have slowly added calories as I gain weight so I don't put on any fat and put on solid lean mass. So far it's going great, thanks for the encouragement! I wish I could quit running lol but it is a huge part of the routine. We run a 6 mile mountain trail, or run 3 miles to the gym, work out and run 3 miles back to my house.

lower back pump

lifter121,
just wondering, if you are still racing why you would be adding muscle like you are doing?

having said that, I got the same back problem as we speak, and throw new shin splints into the mix. I was mowing the lawn and I swear I had fcking tears coming down my cheeks. had to let the wife finish it, which really broke my heart...lol
I did find that stretching at the waist frequently, like touching your toes if possible, did help with the back somewhat.

Welcome to the world of gaining muscle...debilitating lower back pumps are tough..

...biking is boring ???

When I bike down front beach it s not boring...HARD as hell to stay focused..yes.

I can t run anymore...ur a lucky man. I have to stay and fight...jkn !!

lifter121,
just wondering, if you are still racing why you would be adding muscle like you are doing?

having said that, I got the same back problem as we speak, and throw new shin splints into the mix. I was mowing the lawn and I swear I had fcking tears coming down my cheeks. had to let the wife finish it, which really broke my heart...lol
I did find that stretching at the waist frequently, like touching your toes if possible, did help with the back somewhat.
I am just racing locally now, I do it for fun, still make good money just going and doing bigger paying races. I have had a few knee injuries that have held me back, so I train other pro riders now as my main job. The local racing is just for fun.

Wow that sounds terrible lol. I have never had shin splints before, hope to God I never do either lol. Ya, I stretched my back out. I was reading up on lower back pain while running, and the normal things were bad shoes, tight glutes, or tight ham strings. Well I did squats that morning, but have never had problems like that before. I think I may just have to cut back on running for awhile until the end of my cycle if it persists.

Welcome to the world of gaining muscle...debilitating lower back pumps are tough..

...biking is boring ???

When I bike down front beach it s not boring...HARD as hell to stay focused..yes.

I can t run anymore...ur a lucky man. I have to stay and fight...jkn !!

Thanks for the welcome! I should have put stationary cycling is boring, just like treadmill stuff, as someone recommended the stationary bike or treadmill. I like actually moving some ground. I have a road bicycle and a mountain bike, but for me running just seems to be the best cardio. Haha I could imagine trying to focus on the beach. I have had a few ACL replacements in my right knee, and was unable to run for a few years due to the healing and rehab so I know how bad knees suck!

Back