how long are you at the gym?

beatngyou27

Highley Evolved
so ive done 3 hour training periods and two 1hr traing periods what do you do? oh and im mid cycle also.

is 3 hours to long? can you still over train on cycle?

3 hrs is a waste of time bro...i usually keep it from 45-min to 1hr 15min...either theres too much bs (talking) going on in which you should just throw your head phones on keep your head down and just do you work, your waiting way too long inbtwn sets or your over training...just have a solid work out planned and have max intensity doing each set...if thats the case you should land around 45-70min workout...post an example of the workouts you do so we can help you out

for instance today is chest:

4 - 5 sets of incline
4-5 sets dumbell press
3 sets flat bench
3 - 4 sets dumbell pull over
3 - 4 sets cable fly's
3 sets vertical press
4 - 5 sets of 25 - 30 rope crunchs

then abs
and calvs

i rest about 1.5 - 2 min in between.

The are a few of these threads out there. The general consensus is you can get everything done you need to get done in 30-60 minutes. My workouts used to be between 1:15 and 1:30, I've since cut them down to 45-60 minutes and seem to be just as efficient.

When the wife comes with me it always lasts 1-1.5 hours.

3 hours is just absurd IMO. Only you know if your overtraining but my guess is you are.

either ur overtraining or wasting ur time shooting the shit with people there..

45min workout... 45min cardio.. im out...

this is on a five day split.. now if it were to be a 3 day split where i have to do more... that might extend things a bit.. but not to 3 hrs

I think it depends how busy the gym is...this time of year everything takes longer. It's a small piece of crap gym and a bunch of new years resolutionists have invaded.

Anything longer than 1:00 I feel like I'm wasting time. There is good physiologic evidence indicating circulating levels of CATAbolic steroids begin circulating after about an hour or so. If I'm doing 30 min cardio I'll through that it either in the morning or at noon. I dont usually mix because it takes to long.

Unless you are new to lifting heavy you should be able to blow your neurologic load with *much* less volume than what you are doing. Beginner lifters can't lift with the intensity that someone experienced can, they do not have the neuromuscular efficiency-can't stimulate as many motor pools of contractile elements.

The first few years of lifting I did volume like you have above, then got stronger and could not keep up the volume. After doing a few sets of concentrated effort on heavy compound movements you are spent. Maybe another exercise or 2 for a few sets but thats it. Having said that, if you are not lifting with intensity the volume above is very doable. I'll have days where I feel like a pussy and go in and throw around some weights and can do set after set, but none are quality sets.

I guess like almost 2 hours.

Stretching like 5 mins, warming up like 10 mins...probably like one hour and 30mins working out then stretching for like 15 mins so I don't get sore the next day.

for instance today is chest:

4 - 5 sets of incline
4-5 sets dumbell press
3 sets flat bench
3 - 4 sets dumbell pull over
3 - 4 sets cable fly's
3 sets vertical press
4 - 5 sets of 25 - 30 rope crunchs

then abs
and calvs

i rest about 1.5 - 2 min in between.

Yea this is too much IMO...i would split it up and do chest twice a week after finding the correct POP (peak overcompensation point) = the period of time it takes for your workout to produce MAXIMAL GROWTH and
BEFORE the muscle starts to ATROPHY (get smaller) again. So you can see that if you train BEFORE your POP you***8223;ll be overtraining and actually preventing yourself from growing with all that extra work. It***8223;s like this; if you cut your hand you***8223;d expect a number of days to elapse before the tissue completely repairs, right? But if you take a blade a recut at the same point before the recovery has completed, and keep doing this, the cut will NEVER
heal...mayb a monday thursday chest and tri workout...splitting up the routine to make sure youre around 45-60 min workout

ok so ive gone back to 1 hr routines and it feels good. imma start two a days once in the morning and night. I think over traing could be as to why i havent been growing like i should be on cycle.

ok so ive gone back to 1 hr routines and it feels good. imma start two a days once in the morning and night. I think over traing could be as to why i havent been growing like i should be on cycle.

Why twice a day? And how many days a week? More isn't better.

I guess it depends on exactly what your doing at the gym for 3 hours. If your lifting heavy then YES its way to long. However, if your spending some time in the morning doing some cardio then going back at night lifting heavy I'd say that your doing a great job.

I spend 1-1.5 hours doing cardio & 1-1.5hrs lifting heavy (legs are usually the 1.5hr days-bigger muscles need more attention if you know what i mean).

Hope that helps. You def. don't want to overtrain. Get a good pump in and then go rest.

You want to make your cycle work for you. I don't know what your goals are, but 3hrs of weight training is too much imo.
If no one is in the way, and there are no distractions, 45 minutes only..x5 day per week for me. It requires you to use your time very efficiently to get everything done correctly.
Construct simple workouts with compound movements, take each set to failure and EAT. Every 3 hrs for me.

so ive done 3 hour training periods and two 1hr traing periods what do you do? oh and im mid cycle also.

is 3 hours to long? can you still over train on cycle?

i only train 3-4 days a week so i try and do chest in the morn then shoulders then day 2 is will be back and tri's at night then legs and bi's. i also do 15 - 20 min of cardio in the morning. i know =i should do more cardio

Back