In your opinion, what's the HARDEST part about being an average Joe bodybuilder?

jozifp103

So we all know professional BBers have it a bit easier than us in some ways. Yes they have to dedicate more time, eat more/better, train more/harder and basically devote their life.

BUT.......it IS their life. Most top level competitors don't work full time jobs and have trainers, doctors, dietitians, etc etc working with them.

So for us guys who work full time, maybe have kids, wives, normal social lives, and other obligations in general.....what is the hardest part about this lifestyle TO YOU?

The grocery bill? The gear/supplement bill? Finding time to eat when working all day? Finding energy to train?

What's YOUR biggest hurdle and how do you overcome it?

akz9s4.jpg

He is funny...
I just really like it, OK I m not BIG no more and being semi retired FOOD is the hardest aspect ( injuries ) of it but again it s my thing. I like shopping when you all are at working ( I ll help ur ladie s carry her grocerie s into UR CRIB), love the cooking.
I d be lost and tempted to dabble (opiate s, benzo s..sigh) so this is not so much a chosen hobby as an integral part of me staying cognizant and solvent for my son s future. The only hard thing would be to STOP. At mama s in Nowhere Bavaria there s no gym..at all..and after 4..5 day s max.."I ll be back" .
Go to Munich stay in some hot sheet dive hell hotel and train 2 a day for 4 day s and then go back to mama s.
This is as important as her 2 hour walks is to her..e day..she s 78 and I can t keep up.

Guy s we re blessed to have the drive to live this life in this country.

Good thead

I would say keeping to the diet and training schedule during crazy work hrs. Getting enuff sleep is a challenge too. You almost feel like your boxed out from everything and get stuck in a nasty rut. Wake up, work, gym, sleep, repeat. It can get monotonous or even difficult when you have those ass kicking days at work that feel like working out all day. It all comes down to motivation. How bad do you want it?

^^^^ both of the above
I also think i suffer from a bit of tunnel vision when i get on cycle getting bigger is basically all i think about spend money on my time on some times its easy to neglect other aspect of life family relationships work ect i need to find some balance thats definitely the hardest part for me

Interesting thread. Personally, I'm just thankful thati can get to the gym on the daily as I want to. I'm realistic and am thankful with the body ive been given to use while I'm here. It works pretty well for what I need from it. (Sure id take being bigger, more muscular but ill also be happy with what I got now). Ill take just keeping in shape and my lady happy with the body I have as well, all day any day. My greatest challenge with it is giving myself enough rest...im not too great at that.

Having 3 little ones can make it hard, now if I were rich and could afford a nanny constantly then it wouldn't matter. But kids can make it hard a few ways.

For one... they get sick a lot, esp. the 1-5 bracket which mine land under - when this happens it's hard to use the daycare at the gym because I'm not a shit bag who will make my kids sit there and suffer or pass it on to other kids. The wife and I work different shifts so I usually don't have the option of leaving them home with her. I suppose I usually just take a few days off when this happens and relax with them, being a father always comes first of course.

And two... kids love sweets and snack foods as you fathers know, so I find it can be tempting when I see cookies laying out, or see some left over nuggets... etc. This can be hard on a cut.

Rest.. it can be hard to get enough rest when trying to cram everything in, but I try to make sure I get some good sleep a few times a week.

^^^^ both of the above
I also think i suffer from a bit of tunnel vision when i get on cycle getting bigger is basically all i think about spend money on my time on some times its easy to neglect other aspect of life family relationships work ect i need to find some balance thats definitely the hardest part for me

Bingo. That would have been my answer for sure. I get obsessed most of the time with making sure I make every training session count, hit every meal, get enough rest, water etc etc. I often sacrifice some effort in other parts of my life. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to set my alarm and woke up late for work but hit the gym first anyways hoping that I'd come up with a legitimate excuse by the time I got to work. Priorities.

So we all know professional BBers have it a bit easier than us in some ways. Yes they have to dedicate more time, eat more/better, train more/harder and basically devote their life.

BUT.......it IS their life. Most top level competitors don't work full time jobs and have trainers, doctors, dietitians, etc etc working with them.

So for us guys who work full time, maybe have kids, wives, normal social lives, and other obligations in general.....what is the hardest part about this lifestyle TO YOU?

The grocery bill? The gear/supplement bill? Finding time to eat when working all day? Finding energy to train?

What's YOUR biggest hurdle and how do you overcome it?

akz9s4.jpg

I disnt read any comments after this only cause i think its badass you bring this up, what a good point bro! We slave for the man and strive to be like the men who get to do this for a living, what a task! But fuck it we are better than them for that keep pushing hard! Hardest part is eating enough, for me at least

Hardest part for me is being satisfied with what I have achieved. I look at the pros and Youtube muscle dudes and get mad about how I can't look like that. Eventually, I talk myself down because in the end, I know that if I didn't have any other responsibilities other than the gym, Id put them all to shame.
Fortunately, I have a job, a family and a life outside of the gym.

Hardest part for me is being satisfied with what I have achieved. I look at the pros and Youtube muscle dudes and get mad about how I can't look like that. Eventually, I talk myself down because in the end, I know that if I didn't have any other responsibilities other than the gym, Id put them all to shame.
hell yeah bro that is their life! we do so much outside the gym in comparison we are much greater than them, most of us guys here look damn good compared to the average joe, and we still hold everything else together no excuses

hell yeah bro that is their life! we do so much outside the gym in comparison we are much greater than them, most of us guys here look damn good compared to the average joe, and we still hold everything else together no excuses
I always wonder where I'd be physically if I could devote 100% of my time and money to bodybuilding. To have a 5 star chef cooking me exactly what I need for nutrients, a dietitian to tell me what to eat, a trainer to push me, doctors to monitor my health closely, access to whaver PED's I want whenever I want (I sort of do already...)and all the time in the world to train, eat, and sleep.

O well....I still look better than 99.9% of people everywhere i go :)

jha1i8.jpg

A great quote by President Teddy Roosevelt comes to mind when I read your title..."It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Last edited:
Dealing with idiots' presumptions that if you're big then that's who, all, and what you are.
"Michael Scofield is the brains, Lincoln the brawn)

Back