Is Intermittent Fasting The Fastest Way To Lose Bellyfat?

It's a Jersey Shore diet. I think 3J or someone said it best last week, "Have you ever seen Mr. Olympia use intermittent fasting?" ...exactly.

There is NO REASON for the stupid fasting if you know how to properly eat.

It helps some hit their macros easier and covenient to some lifestyles. Does it help sure, is it a make or break, no

"By performing some low intensity, steady state exercise i.e brisk walking during fast, you can help shed the unwanted belly fat whilst your body is in the zone for fat burning. Make sure you don’t reward yourself too heavily once the fast is over, and undo all that work"

I know a guy who used to train hard for body building who was 220lbs solid muscle. Our group of friends play a lot of sports and have a very competitive hockey team and he was lagging behind. I guess it pissed him off and he decided to do to intermittent fasting..dropped 50lbs and lost lots of muscle. It works but it comes at the cost of some hard gained muscle mass in my opinion.

I know a guy who used to train hard for body building who was 220lbs solid muscle. Our group of friends play a lot of sports and have a very competitive hockey team and he was lagging behind. I guess it pissed him off and he decided to do to intermittent fasting..dropped 50lbs and lost lots of muscle. It works but it comes at the cost of some hard gained muscle mass in my opinion.

Bc someone doesn't know how to diet properly you're able to reach this conclusion?

According to me fasting doesn't work. Many people believe skipping meals is a fast way to cut down calories, but in the end, they don't succeed to lose weight. Rather You'll be more probable to overeat or even binge if you not take regular meals. Take balanced diet and proper workout.

According to me fasting doesn't work. Many people believe skipping meals is a fast way to cut down calories, but in the end, they don't succeed to lose weight. Rather You'll be more probable to overeat or even binge if you not take regular meals. Take balanced diet and proper workout.

Increased meal frequency is normally associated with increased hunger. Individual differences in response is why you MAY feel increased hunger but I assure you you're in the minority in this case...not that there's anything wrong with that. Diet the way you like so long as you follow the basic principles.

Increased meal frequency is normally associated with increased hunger. Individual differences in response is why you MAY feel increased hunger but I assure you you're in the minority in this case...not that there's anything wrong with that. Diet the way you like so long as you follow the basic principles.

I will agree with that. Doing the 6-8 meals a day thing did not work for me. If I ever missed a meal I would get so crabby and light headed that it sucked. With IF, I don't have that. I stay fuller, longer.

I also like the flexibility it gives. I can shift the 8 hour window to my liking. Sometime's I'll break the fast at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm etc. Really just depends on my schedule and how things are happening at work. Maybe sometimes I'll stretch the window out to 10-12 hours. Just depends on what's going on in my life on a given day. Usually on the weekends I don't follow it at all and get back on track on monday. I like the break from it.

But I still don't see why so many people hate on this diet. Cals in VS Cals Out.

Surprised 3J hasn't jumped in here yet to lay the smack down!

I will agree with that. Doing the 6-8 meals a day thing did not work for me. If I ever missed a meal I would get so crabby and light headed that it sucked. With IF, I don't have that. I stay fuller, longer.

I also like the flexibility it gives. I can shift the 8 hour window to my liking. Sometime's I'll break the fast at 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm etc. Really just depends on my schedule and how things are happening at work. Maybe sometimes I'll stretch the window out to 10-12 hours. Just depends on what's going on in my life on a given day. Usually on the weekends I don't follow it at all and get back on track on monday. I like the break from it.

But I still don't see why so many people hate on this diet. Cals in VS Cals Out.

Great post! I just eat when I can. Whether it's 6meals or 2. My schedule changes a lot so I eat when it's convenient.

3J is actually trying a modified version of IF as we speak! He's changing some of it around to tweak it more in line with his principles but I'm excited to see his results. He said if it works for him he may add it in his services.

IF worked for me, but like the above stated its just a platform for a diet. I ran ketos/zig zags and static calories w IF and lost around 60lbs within the past 8 months mostly fat

Always try healthy, filling snack, such as an apple and some other fruits. Smart snacking will assist you to lose weight. Eating small meals at regular interval per day, you keep your metabolism and energy up, cravings down and muscles fed constantly encouraging growth. Determine how many calories you should consume each day, and stick to it.

Many people believe skipping meals is a fast way to cut down calories, but in the end, they don't succeed to lose weight. Rather You'll be more probable to overeat or even binge if you not take regular meals.

Many people believe skipping meals is a fast way to cut down calories, but in the end, they don't succeed to lose weight. Rather You'll be more probable to overeat or even binge if you not take regular meals.

Actually most people find that after they get accustomed to their eating window, like in intermittent fasting for instance, they have far less hunger signals. Reduced meal frequency is associated with greater satiety for most people...not the other way around.

Fasting works for many other reasons other than fat loss and muscle gain. I have used it for both with great success. The research is there. If you are not subscribed to any medical journals then there is no reason to argue. People who eat constantly are less healthy, even if its clean. Again the research is clear. Metabolic chemistry determines which people can do it with success. Its wrong to believe anything on the Internet. Find the hard evidence and tested out yourself. To the people who bash it, where are your tests? Its interesting to see science shake the beliefs and dogmas of gym rats. Lifting is a means to an end. Besides all pros do juice and have tons of money from sponsors. Stop trying to be like a pro. Be yourself and enjoy the journey. Less time checking posts and more time observing your training and body. Peace.

This aint directed to anyone in specific. Just my 2 cents.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24097021

Efficacy of Fasting and Calorie Restriction (FCR) on Mood and Depression among Ageing Men.
Hussin NM, Shahar S, Teng NI, Ngah WZ, Das SK.

Weight, BMI and percent body fat were reduced by 3.8%, 3.7% and 5.7% respectively in the FCR group. Conclusions: Our findings show that a FCR dietary regime is effective in improving mood states and nutritional status among ageing men.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24097021

Efficacy of Fasting and Calorie Restriction (FCR) on Mood and Depression among Ageing Men.
Hussin NM, Shahar S, Teng NI, Ngah WZ, Das SK.

Weight, BMI and percent body fat were reduced by 3.8%, 3.7% and 5.7% respectively in the FCR group. Conclusions: Our findings show that a FCR dietary regime is effective in improving mood states and nutritional status among ageing men.

From your study you linked

J Nutr Health Aging. 2013;17(8):674-80. doi: 10.1007/s12603-013-0344-9.
Affiliation
S. Shahar, Dietetic Program, Faculty of Health Sciences, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Abstract
Objective: An intervention study on the FCR (Fasting and Calorie Restriction) dietary regime was carried out to determine its efficacy in improving mood states and depression status among ageing men. Subjects: A total of 32 healthy males (Mean±SD), aged 59.7±6.3 years, with a BMI of 26.7±2.2 kg/m2 were recruited to the study.Method: Participants were randomized to either the FCR group (and were instructed to follow a calorie restricted dietary regime with intermittent fasting) or to the control group (in which individuals were asked to maintain their current lifestyle), for a 3 month period. Mood was assessed using the Profile of Mood States and depression was assessed using Beck Depression Inventory-II and Geriatric Depression Scale-15 at baseline, week 6 and week 12 of the intervention. Results: A total of 31 subjects completed the study (n=16, FCR and n=15, control). Significant decreases in tension, anger, confusion and total mood disturbance and improvements in vigor were observed in participants in the FCR group compared to the control group (p<0.05). No significant changes in mean depression scores were observed. Weight, BMI and percent body fat were reduced by 3.8%, 3.7% and 5.7% respectively in the FCR group. Conclusions: Our findings show that a FCR dietary regime is effective in improving mood states and nutritional status among ageing men.

PMID 24097021 [PubMed - in process]

Notice the bolded portion, the control group retained whatever their current lifestyle was while the FCR group went on calorie restriction and fasting plan. Of course you'll notice fat loss and improved mood when you lose fat but this doesn't show that the fasting was the beneficial part.

Indeed. I agree with you. Let me add this, to different people different methods appeal. It all works great. Eating 6 meals a day or fasting and eating 1 meal.

All rivers go to one ocean.

Indeed. I agree with you. Let me add this, to different people different methods appeal. It all works great. Eating 6 meals a day or fasting and eating 1 meal.

All rivers go to one ocean.

I go back and forth depending on the day.

Back