Lifting belts

Greybeard

On the backside of 40...
Curious as to how many people use a belt. During squats / deadlifts only or? That's the only time I ever wore mine in years past.

According to the VA, I have Degenerative Disk Disease in my lower back. I had a Sciatica hit a few months ago after a very light arm workout and man was that a nightmare! Doctor only wanted to give me drugs and I got sick of that shit!

Went to a Chiropractor after I quit taking the drugs & after a few weeks the Sciatica subsided totally...

Anyways, I've read pro / con's about wearing a belt and I can't afford to be immobile for any length of time.

I'm very aware of using proper lifting technique. Whether it's bending over to tie my shoes or picking up my little one...

Thanks in advance for all response!

get a good leather 4 inch belt and use it imo.do NOT tighten it down so hard you cant breathe.back off a notch or 2 from that tight and after takeing a deep breath puch out against the belt with your abs hard. this creates internal pressure that will help stabalize your whole midsection.

Nothing wrong with being a girl...

I had a 4" belt about a decade ago when I was seriously into lifting. Only used it during deadlifts and squats but now that I find myself a decade older and getting back into the game, I was just curious as to if I would need one during any other time.

Nothing wrong with being a girl...

I had a 4" belt about a decade ago when I was seriously into lifting. Only used it during deadlifts and squats but now that I find myself a decade older and getting back into the game, I was just curious as to if I would need one during any other time.

military press and bench if you like to bench pl style and really arch the back

I picked up an Inzer Lever belt this past summer and like it a lot

notch or 2 from that tight and after takeing a deep breath push out against the belt with your abs hard. this creates internal pressure that will help stabalize your whole midsection.

X2, works like a charm

Ive never used a belt for squats/DL, only time I use it is for military presses because my back arches too much

I use a 4inch Velcro Harbringer belt.

Dont like the leather it either feels to tight or to loose. So I bought a velcro one....

I don't use a belt at all, it was a decision I made a while back, weighing the pros and cons of my needs in the sports I am involved in.

Having a strong back is an advantage in strength sports, and one way to get it is to not wear a belt. training without a belt requires a little more disipline, as there is a tendancy to max out on deadlift and squat a lot in a normal gym.

There is also the thickening of the core that sometimes happens with strongman and olympic lifting that is not always the look people are going for.

I must also note that I have spent the last 4 years with a trainer, not on any type of gear, and that as far as training within a cycle, I don't know shit.

My back never hurts either. and it is a little intimidating to walk up to a heavy weight while everyone else has wraps, suits, and belts, and still beat them.

Curious as to how many people use a belt. During squats / deadlifts only or? That's the only time I ever wore mine in years past.

According to the VA, I have Degenerative Disk Disease in my lower back. I had a Sciatica hit a few months ago after a very light arm workout and man was that a nightmare! Doctor only wanted to give me drugs and I got sick of that shit!

Went to a Chiropractor after I quit taking the drugs & after a few weeks the Sciatica subsided totally...

Anyways, I've read pro / con's about wearing a belt and I can't afford to be immobile for any length of time.

I'm very aware of using proper lifting technique. Whether it's bending over to tie my shoes or picking up my little one...

Thanks in advance for all response!

To me belts are only for people who do their lifts incorrectly.

Ive also found that they decrease my core strength and involvement when i use them. So basically you will prevent your core from strengthening to its full potential. Unless your a pro powerlifter, i dont see a point in using them

Ordered an Inzer Lever-lock 13mm and some lifting straps yesterday. Did some damn stiff-legged deadlifts the other day and man am I paying for it!

Perhaps the VA knows what they are talking about... LOL!

Last edited:
hey man, I have exactly the same problem.... The concentrated pain in your hips, searing pain all the way to your toes :( I use a leather belt for nearly everything. I am not doing my lifts wronge, but with deteriorated disk, your better safe then sorry.

Ordered an Inzer Lever-lock 13mm and some lifting straps yesterday. Did some damn stiff-legged deadlifts the other day and man am I paying for it!

Perhaps the VA knows what they are talking about... LOL!

thats the same belt ive had for years .its a keeper.

Back