my opinion on the arnold

slair

I know i'll probly get blasted by some people for this, but im just fed up with it.

Once again i feel that mass it all costs is what wins bodybuilding contests (to an extent). I mean no disrespect to branch who has a killer physique, a die hard attitude, and is a very respectable guy. But imo wolf got fucking robbed.

I felt that branch came in looking huge of course, but also very watery...and certainly not as aesthetic as wolf in any way. Yes.....wolf needs to work on calves and hams....but i think his aesthetics and condition should have given him the win. I still think branch should have take 2nd or 3rd at least though..... I also thought lionel beyeke should have placed higher and centopani lower.

I've never been a huge fan of the mass monsters....cutler, coleman, warren....especially towards the end of their careers. Once again, no disprespect to them, but what happened to aesthetics, proportion and condition??? People like...wheeler, dexter, shawn ray, kevin levrone.....all massive, all aesthetic, all shredded with great condition.

I also think that the more mass monsters win competitions, the more it effects those looking up to them in a negative way. Now, by and large i think the reason cutler, coleman, branch etc are so massive is genetics.....but those aspiring to become future bodybuilders without those genetics may be influenced to take higher and more dangerous amounts of drugs to attain mass.

Obviously everyone is repsonsible for what they put in there body....but I dont see the prevalance of mass monsters winning helping the situation.

Anways, just felt i had to rant....i know alot will disagree, but i like this sport and i don't want it to become a freak show where all that matters is rediculous muscle with no attention to anything else.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part. I'm not a huge fan of Branch's current physique. He looked much better when he was younger. But he definitely wasn't watery at the Arnold man, his conditioning was on point and he looked dense and grainy. He always carries a little in the lower back though.

I really like Wolf, and I would have placed him above Branch as well, despite his high lats, small calves, and underdeveloped hamstrings. I don't understand why you don't like Centopani though, yes he's huge, but he also has a tiny waist and is very symmetrical...and his conditioning was on-point.

Beyeke, yeah is genetically blessed. But he was waaaaaay too watery. His condition sucked. To be blessed with such amazing tie-ins, muscle bellies, and structure, he really needs to step it up and hit the conditioning hard.

I don't think the sport is becoming a freak show though...yeah Branch is blocky, massive, and generally not pleasing to the eye, but there is also Phil Heath, Kai Green, and Dennis Wolf - all of whom are MASSIVE but also aesthetically pleasing, symmetrical, etc.

As far as Ronnie, he definitely got worse through the years, but in his early Olympia wins, he had the tiny waist, sweeping quads, etc. WITH massive amounts of conditioned muscle...285 lbs with striated glutes and feathered quads!

Im a big branch warren fan and always will be. His long years in the game and crazy work ethic which is well known got him this win.... there ant more to say than that

I see the sport turning into more and more about the legs over the years. Yea you have to have that big upper body but huge ripped legs are what wins competitions these days. That is where I disagree. I think bodybuilders should have large ripped wheels, but they're starting to just look weird. Think about what they look like with pants on, pretty much a 400lb woman lol

I see the sport turning into more and more about the legs over the years. Yea you have to have that big upper body but huge ripped legs are what wins competitions these days. That is where I disagree. I think bodybuilders should have large ripped wheels, but they're starting to just look weird. Think about what they look like with pants on, pretty much a 400lb woman lol

Its all about legs and back in BB world. Thats what will get you the win every time Legs and Back..

The crowd cares about arms and chest. Judges care about legs and back. I see a problem here. Legs and back are what give big stats so this sport is in turn breading monsters. I'm sorry but 300lb at 3%bf is just not healthy. So why take this sport to the level that these guys are having to do dangerous levels of gear to keep up??

The crowd cares about arms and chest. Judges care about legs and back. I see a problem here. Legs and back are what give big stats so this sport is in turn breading monsters. I'm sorry but 300lb at 3%bf is just not healthy. So why take this sport to the level that these guys are having to do dangerous levels of gear to keep up??

This is so true! When regular people from all walks of life look at these compitions they look at arms,delts,chest,abs. And these judges only look at legs and back! I 100% agree! Me personaly would look for the most dimensional* body out there. Everything matches. I read somewere that phil health weights around 260-270 on a ref day and at mrO last year he was at 236. That is freaking insane! 3% BF not healthy!

***65348;***12405;***12353;***65363;***65348;***12405;***12353;***65363;***65362;***12364;***65363;***65348;***12364;***65348;***65363;***12405;***12353;***65363;***65348;***65350;***65299;***65361;***12370;***65367;***65362;***65351;***65367;***65362;***65352;***12373;***65351;***12596;***12609;***12603;***12596;***12615;***54644;***12627;***12609;***12596;***54672;***12627;***12609;***12622;***12615;***12609;***12596;***12615;***12603;asdfasdf***12596;***12609;***12615;***12601;.

I totally agree with you, we need to get back to aesthetic physiques. Phil was a step in the right direction in my opinion. Bodybuilders used to represent the ideals of the people, not freak shows. With the retirement of Ruhl, Coleman and soon Jay I think the sport will move closer to what the average person finds attractive. We need more Sergios, Shawn Rays, and Levrones.

it should be more about the flow of the muscles and the whole look of ones physique not size . It is f***** wrong having a 5,7 manlet weighing 255 or whatever branch weights. look at frank zane,arnold,flex these dudes were in proportion branch/jay and the vast majority of all pros these days r just wrong .

I totally agree with you, we need to get back to aesthetic physiques. Phil was a step in the right direction in my opinion. Bodybuilders used to represent the ideals of the people, not freak shows. With the retirement of Ruhl, Coleman and soon Jay I think the sport will move closer to what the average person finds attractive. We need more Sergios, Shawn Rays, and Levrones.

What's funny is Levrone was pushing 260 contest weight...about the same as Jay...so one guy is a freak show and the other isn't, even though they're the same size?

Sorry but Levrone was definitely a mass monster. Shawn didn't weigh as much only because he was short.

re

What's funny is Levrone was pushing 260 contest weight...about the same as Jay...so one guy is a freak show and the other isn't, even though they're the same size?

Sorry but Levrone was definitely a mass monster. Shawn didn't weigh as much only because he was short.

i agree with you that levrone was closer to a mass monster....but unlike branch/ruhl/coleman/cutler i think he had a much more aesthetic and balanced physique, which i think is much more important.

i agree with you that levrone was closer to a mass monster....but unlike branch/ruhl/coleman/cutler i think he had a much more aesthetic and balanced physique, which i think is much more important.

Of course I agree that aesthetics are important. I also find Kevin's physique more balanced/aesthetic. But to contrast him with the other guys as not being a mass monster is totally wrong.

Here is a pic of Ronnie and Kevin at the Olympia in 2002 I think. They are very similar in size...but Ronnie has more leg development. The big difference is structure/shape - Ronnie's torso is much shorter and his abs aren't as aesthetic as Kevin's.

To say one of them is a 'freak show' and the other isn't is just stupid.

2002-mr-olympia-99_20090831_2034860778.jpg

Sad Truth is the fans actually pushed it this direction! Once they saw Dorian They demanded more every year. Theres actually a tv show that touches on this exact issue. Think I saw it on Discovery or some thing.

Either way I think its getting a little out of control! I admire everyone of them crazy huge bastards. Because I respect the dedication they have to get there. But before long if it keeps going like this there all going to look like Cartoons IMO.

Dhaurt

Ronnie has more Gyno than Kevin!!! lol

Also for me its Back and Shoulders! If a guy has thick shoulders and a thick back that defines size in my eyes. Not to mention there the 2 biggest factors when it comes to a great V tapper.

re

Of course I agree that aesthetics are important. I also find Kevin's physique more balanced/aesthetic. But to contrast him with the other guys as not being a mass monster is totally wrong.

Here is a pic of Ronnie and Kevin at the Olympia in 2002 I think. They are very similar in size...but Ronnie has more leg development. The big difference is structure/shape - Ronnie's torso is much shorter and his abs aren't as aesthetic as Kevin's.

To say one of them is a 'freak show' and the other isn't is just stupid.

2002-mr-olympia-99_20090831_2034860778.jpg

keep in mind that was around 2002....right around the year coleman started getting truly massive. I think coleman was actually better during the 90's.....just my opinion of course....and yea the gyno disgusts me lol.

Back