NAC - N acetyle cysteine -good or bad - opinions?

NAC is a VERY good supplement to take in my opinion.
I been having it as part of my supps since RUI picked it up a while ago and i did more research into it. its deff a good supp.
Why are you asking about it though? More details may help us help you further.

Do you guys always run nac or only when using oral AAS as part of a cycle? I am curious about this supplement and when I decide to toss some orals into my cycles I will want all the liver protection possible. To op, are those the only articles about possible negative effects you could find? I was looking and only found those two. Most good sources are saying safe.

That one paper that was linked claiming NAC caused pulmonary hypertension is not trustworthy or based on a real scientific study. In fact, most valid scientific studies show a protective effect against pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis, of multiple etiologies.

I mostly only take NAC when using orals. I take 1200 mg 2x a day, to coincide with my orals

That one paper that was linked claiming NAC caused pulmonary hypertension is not trustworthy or based on a real scientific study. In fact, most valid scientific studies show a protective effect against pulmonary hypertension and fibrosis, of multiple etiologies.

I mostly only take NAC when using orals. I take 1200 mg 2x a day, to coincide with my orals

Good stuff. My liver values are not the best and I do not even drink. I will start taking the NAC with my multi and fish oil all the time. Even if it gives me no benefit. I just wanted to make sure it is not harmful.

My TRT Doc believes that NAC is single most effective supplement for cleansing the liver, and keeping it high functioning.

NAC is a VERY good supplement to take in my opinion.
I been having it as part of my supps since RUI picked it up a while ago and i did more research into it. its deff a good supp.
Why are you asking about it though? More details may help us help you further.

Thanks for the replies, just as a daily health supp really. I had slightly raised liver enzymes on my last blood test but nothing to worry about i doubt.

Good stuff. My liver values are not the best and I do not even drink. I will start taking the NAC with my multi and fish oil all the time. Even if it gives me no benefit. I just wanted to make sure it is not harmful.

exactly the same positioning and reasoning as me, saw it on a supp list to have while on TRT/CYCLE... And to take 1200mg but i think ill stick to 600mg just incase there are any bad sides we don't know about..

exactly the same positioning and reasoning as me, saw it on a supp list to have while on TRT/CYCLE... And to take 1200mg but i think ill stick to 600mg just incase there are any bad sides we don't know about..

Exactly my reasoning and thinking, just wanted to be sure considering i found those two pages pretty quickly...
It was recommended on a TRT forum as a daily sup at 1200mg, think ill stay on 600mg just incase.

UDCA to bring the values down. NAC to prevent them getting higher :) NAC will probably actually help drop them a bit, but a run on UDCA alongside it would definitely be beneficial in getting them to the lower end of the range.

UDCA to bring the values down. NAC to prevent them getting higher :) NAC will probably actually help drop them a bit, but a run on UDCA alongside it would definitely be beneficial in getting them to the lower end of the range.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. NAC for prevention, UDCA for treatment.
NAC dose: 600mgs/day off cycle, 1200mgs/day on cycle
UDCA: 250mg/day if needed

Sweet - a day not wasted since I learned something. I wondered what the difference (in use) was between NAC and UDCA.

Is TUDCA just as good as UDCA?

I've checked all my sources not locating UDCA. I want my liver values to drop. I got some searching to do. I just learned about this udca today...

Sweet - a day not wasted since I learned something. I wondered what the difference (in use) was between NAC and UDCA.

Is TUDCA just as good as UDCA?

I was able to answer my own question:

Abstract

Taurodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA) and ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) exert a protective effect in chronic cholestasis. This study reports the effect of TUDCA and UDCA on an in vitro model for ethanol-induced liver damage.
Hep G2 cells were incubated for 24 hours with 80 mmol/L ethanol in the presence or absence of 50 ***956;mol/L TUDCA or UDCA. Cells were also pretreated with 80 mmol/L EtOH and then exposed to 50 ***956;mol/L bile acids. Cytotoxicity was assessed by the metabolism of formazan (3-(4,5-dimethyl-thiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide and sodium 3,3***8242;-(phenylamino) carbonyl-3,4-tetrazolium-bis (4-methoxy-6-nitro) benzene sulfonic acid hydrase and by the release into the culture medium of different enzymes (aspartate aminotransferase, glutamate dehydrogenase, ***947;-glutamyl transferase, and lactate dehydrogenase).

The incubation of Hep G2 with EtOH significantly (P < 0.001) increased cytotoxicity. Both TUDCA or UDCA reduced cytoxicity to a similar extent (P < 0.001). Cells pretreated with EtOH and then added with TUDCA or UDCA responded differently because TUDCA was significantly more effective (P < 0.05) than an equimolar dose of UDCA in reversing the damage. Electron microscopic examination revealed that TUDCA and UDCA were both able to prevent mitochondrial damage and to reduce steatosis induced by EtOH.

Low doses of TUDCA and UDCA protect Hep G2 cells from EtOH-induced cytotoxicity. However, TUDCA seems to be more effective than UDCA in reversing the damage.
http://www.gastrojournal.org/articl...er=http://www.bing.com/search?q=tudca+vs+udca

Here is a good writeup on TUDCA (snagged a few snippets):

2.1. Absorption and bioavailability
After oral administration, TUDCA appears to be more effective in raising bile concentrations of UDCA (and downstream effects, such as reducing liver enzyme levels) than UDCA itself; this is most likely due to the Taurine group enhancing bioavailability.[3] [4] The process of conjugating UDCA with taurine is a rate-limiting step, and this rate-limit is avoided with supplementation of TUDCA.[5]

2.2. Distribution
Orally administered TUDCA, at 750mg daily, was able to significantly change the UDCA content of serum, fecal, and urinary bile measurements after 2 months of supplementation; suggesting systemic distribution

Preliminary, but TUDCA appears to be able to protect cells from dysfunction associated with hyperglycemia and may reduce the effects of insulin resistance before they happen (beta-cells) and even therapeutically with the potency of some diabetic pharmaceuticals (in regards to the liver and skeletal muscle)

Might alleviate alcohol's adverse effects on the liver, but appears to be needed to be taken after drinking and may be damaging if taken before
Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

Back