Needing help - First proper workout plan?

A work on progress, but for my chest day im struggling to find other exercises are that "Big, Compound Movements"

So far i have, Bench Press (Decline, Incline & Flat Bench) Pushups and someone seemed to suggest Dips (Although i thought they were more shoulders and arms?)

Apart from that im struggling, so any tips would be great cheers! Rest of it is starting to really shape up now! Should be able to start it the week after next.

Which also brings me onto another question, should i take next week off to get as near to fully rested as possible before starting the new routine? So that i can really PUSH it (My hams have been killing me all week!)

Cheers again!

Dips are one of the best exercises you can do, they hit the chest and tri's real well and you can kind of isolate one or the other if you want. Dont go down as far and stay upright targets your tri's a little more. Lean forward and it targets your chest more.

Try and mix up dumbell incline and BB flat or vica versa. Dont do all BB or all DB.

Only you know whether rest will do you good. How long have you been going hard?

I mix it up i will take some time off sometimes and other times I will do a deload week.

Thanks for the reply Welter! Been going since Feb pretty hard; Had around 7 weeks on the starting strength program (Hence why its being updated)

Cheers for the information! Ill be sure to add them into the routine!

Right, here it is! Iv been struggling to find a list of 3 solid exercises for most body parts (Excluding arms... Theres loads around for them!)

Anyway, here it is! Iv split up Deadlifts and Squats as reccommended, should hopefully allow me to go heavier! I've also invested in a gym buddy! We're around the same build so hopefully this will make me push myself even harder (We're both highly competitive!)

As always, any suggestions and feedback are very appreciated! (Especially if you can help me out with exercises to do!)

Cheers again! (There are some questions included in the workout!)

Monday - Chest

1) Chest Press - Varied at Flat, Incline and Decline (I gather these target different muscle groups? Also helps to vary things abit!)

2) Chest Dips

3) Push ups (Weighted)

Tuesday - Back

1) Dead Lifts - Varied at SLDL and Conventional Ones (Do the SLDL hit your lower back harder?)

2) Barbell Bent Over Row

3) ???

Wednesday - Legs

1) Good Mornings

2) Squats - Ill be doing both conventional and Bulgarian split squats.

3) Lunges

Thursday - Shoulders

1) Military Shoulder Press

2) Upright Row

3) ???

Friday - Arms

1) Skull Crushers (Is it better to do it flat bench or decline? I heard decline can lead to a better angle and less chance of injury to elbow as there is less stress placed on it?)

2) Reverse preacher curls

3) Bicep Curls (Was struggling to find anything else that really hit them)

Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

Ill be doing 5 reps of each, with 5 sets (5x5 Method) Aiming to keep it very heavy and quite intense!

Also, as has been suggested ill be working my abs every day i have a workout day, doing it lightly. A variation of crunches, leg extensions etc

Last edited:
Back