reverse hyper

simpllyhuge

my school gym just got a reverse hyper machine with weight stack. I had a herniated disc from doing deads back in the day and want to start strengthening my back so i can start them again. ALso i shouldnt wear my belt doing reverse hypers should i?

they also have bands and shit so i gotta read up on those.

since you have a disc problem and probably low back weakness I wouldn't be using a belt for anything.

no belt, i also agree with above. I am not sure i would wear a belt doing anything but max triples to singels.

i dunno what max triples are lol. i guess thats doing heavy 3 reps.

any way ill try it and see how things go. Maybe i can dead, just been cable rowing.

simpllyhuge said:
Maybe i can dead, just been cable rowing.

If you have lower back issues, I wouldn't jump back into deadlifts right away. Chances are good that you'll just re-aggravate the injury.

its been good for a while, but my lower back feels slightly soar after squating or picking up heavy dumbells for chest the next day

how long ago was the disc injury. how do you know it was a herniation ( MRI etc) and what sort was it ( post,ant, lat etc) , and at what level ? what rehab have you done for it?

in 2002 I had post/lat herniation at L5 which was a fucker for ages. I did all sorts of rehab for it, and it wasn't until I started to fully strengthen my lower back by doing deads that it really started to get better.

This doesn't mean it will work for every disc herniation cause they are all different, just mentioning it because I think they are great rehab in some cases.

Pilates type "core" exercises are excellent too

inked1 in 2002 I had post/lat herniation at L5 which was a fucker for ages. I did all sorts of rehab for it said:
I had a similar experience but with a car accident. My back has never been better.

im not sure i think it might have been l3 but have no idea. It seemed to get better when i started AS. i had 2 epidorals cortisone shots done.

simpllyhuge said:
im not sure i think it might have been l3 but have no idea. It seemed to get better when i started AS. i had 2 epidorals cortisone shots done.

apart from pain relief epidural cortisone will do little to improve a disc herniation. You would be better off finding out exactly what the problem is and then tailoring your rehab towards that

aProtege said:
I had a similar experience but with a car accident. My back has never been better.

its amazing what the right kind of rehab/exercise can do! i felt like i was bashing my head up against the wall trying all sorts of other shit, and was fearful of doing deads because I thought for sure they would flair it up.

I haven't looked back since

well it feels pretty much better now, i just dont want to reagrivate it. I feel like i will if i do deads thou, inless my back was 100% percent errect all the way up.

inked1 said:
its amazing what the right kind of rehab/exercise can do! i felt like i was bashing my head up against the wall trying all sorts of other shit, and was fearful of doing deads because I thought for sure they would flair it up.

I haven't looked back since

Yep, I had to find another doc but he told me to continue working out. You start out light and concentrate on form.

I'm glad I did it, It was a whole lot better then sleeping on the floor.

Try starting with rack pulls.

Deadlifts off the rack, just below knee height.

That really helped my back.

so the only rule with rack pulls it just set it right below the knee and then keep the back totally errect right? then when i go back down i just make sure to re bend the knee and put the bar back past my knee?

i think i have an over complicated image in my head of how to put the weight back down. i dont have to bend my knees as much as when i came up do i. I think i can just put it down as long as my back stays tottaly errect. my problem is i try to hard to alighn it back up with my knees on the way down.

any way im gonna start with the reverse hypers this week.

simpllyhuge said:
i think i have an over complicated image in my head of how to put the weight back down. i dont have to bend my knees as much as when i came up do i. I think i can just put it down as long as my back stays tottaly errect. my problem is i try to hard to alighn it back up with my knees on the way down.

any way im gonna start with the reverse hypers this week.

make sure you keep your HEAD UP at all times

Back