Ruptured disc (Non aas related)

I found out a couple of months ago that I have a ruptured disc in my back. The L5 disc.
I don't know if the term ruptured is correct in my case since the disc is not "leaking" it's just bulging towards right, this causing some serious pain in my right leg. The nerves are intact since I have full strenght in my right leg although I can't bend forward with my legs straight. So my back and leg workouts are history except for some chins and light pulldowns.

I have some questions.

1.] Has anyone had any success in recovering from something like this through either
a.) Surgery or
b.) in any other way?
Please feel free to share about your experience and treatment.

2.] Would HGH help with the healing process?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Not really sure about the lower back, but i had C7 rupture. It was pretty much wasted so I had to have it fused. It took awhile, but I can lift heavy again noe and do squats and all. I have to be careful with heavier weight on certain exercises but I can do them.

Good luck...Keep us posted.

I ruptured L4 and L5 when I was 18, the fluid completly gone. This caused me to pinch my sciatic nerve on my right side. Anyone who has done this knows there is no pain like this. I was disabled for 7 months till I opted for the surgery. The surgery isnt bad at all, I was up walking the day off. I could even stand up straight and walk. I was stuck in the house for 2 weeks and right back to work. I feel great now and have never had any problems, Knock on wood. It never effects my training I can do anything anyone else can, Iam just a little shorter now.

had the same thing at ages 18 and 26, both times i was picking up something i knew i shouldn't have

i was offered surgery on two seperate occasions, but declined. i was afraid to be put to sleep, even though the risk is minimal

the best things that you can do in an effort avoid surgery are as follows

1- keep your hamstrings/hip flexors as flexible and loose as possible
try sitting in a chair, cross your legs putting your ankle over your opposite knee, then push your crossed knee down as far a tolerated, kinda like the figure four, hold for thirty seconds at a time, do this 3 times per day and build up to three sets per leg, also practice standing on one leg at a time for up to 30 seconds at a time, this teaches the muscles to fire in the approiate patterns, as they will be working abnormally in an effort to compensate for the low back, routine stretches for the hamstrings include toe bends etc, but be very carefull

2-keep your abdominal muscles strong and tight

3-NSAIDs(motrin naprosyn) and COX II(celebrex/vioxx) inhibitors are good for pain/inflammation, but don't be too liberal as these can cause GI upset and bleeding as well as HTN/water retention (bad if already on the roids)

4-physical therapy and or manipulative treatment by either a D.O. or compentent chiropractor (the use of a machine-the vertical axial decompression device-has been shown to decrease strain on the disks and allow them to return to their normal place and reduce the need for surgical intervention)

5-epidural steroid/lidocaine or marcaine injections also work very well for most, with little complications and imediate results

6-last resort is surgical intervention, usually done with a dissection microscope thru a small incision (about 3-4 inches) in the low back
if your are continuing to have parasthesias (burning) or foot drop this may be a possibilty. something to keep in mind is that the longer this persists, the less likely a 100% resolution of your symptoms will be if surgery is performed

hope this helps

whats a vertical axial decompresion device. I can see that its to stretch out your spine but when would they use it and who would administer it? how serious is it and is it expensive? thanks i have a herniated disc, i think its the L5. I had a cortizone shot and it helped a little but then like 2 weeks later i made it worse with carring a big screen down the stairs.
I have been taking viox and doin hyper extentions and it has helped a little.

Last edited:
VAX-D is done by a either a physician or chiropractor, usually not covered by insurance, may cost about $750-1500 for 10 treatments

Oh my God, thank you all for replying!

My brother had his L4 or L5 disc sucked out but he doesn't workout anymore so it's hard to say if he could squat or deadlift. What scares me the most is that he was almost unable to move after surgery, when going to the bathroom he had to stand up while taking a dump etc. But he had a girlfriend that took care of him at that time. Noone looks after me.

tman55-
Did the pain go out in your arms or neck due to your ruptured disc?

MotownMuscle-
I know the pain your talking about. No words could ever describe it. When did you have your surgery? My brother did it in -96 I believe. Just thought if there has been any progress since my brother did it. A have a slight bulge on my L4 disc but an even bigger on my L5.

Bionic redneck-
My physician gave me two exercises to do every other hour. It's a form of push-up where I lie down on the floor and push up my upper body ten times (3sets), that's the first exercise. In the other one I'm just supposed to push up and hold there for a count of 20. I will try your exercise also.
I'm seeing my physician tomorrow so I'll run it past him. The sad part is that I'm prohibited to bend my back so any and all ab exercises are a big no-no. Something about the disc bulging backwards and that it could worsen my condition, atleast that's what my physician says.

I use Tramadol as a painkiller 4 times/day. And I must say it works pretty good. The best painkiller I've ever used. It doesn't screw around with my head or anything. 100mg four times/day keeps me going. Don't know if you have it in the US or Canada.

My physician has put me in a "vertical axial decompresion device" several times and it has helped a little, but never for longer than a few hours at the most. The trick is to remain in a straight position (vertical or horizontal position without bending your back) for as long as possible but as soon as I get in my car I'm usually back to square one.

I got a note a couple of days ago from the hospital that will be performing the surgery (if needed) that I will, in the next 2 month get called in for a check-up by 2 surgeons, so hopefully they believe that it's possible to fix it without surgery. If not, I quess it's just to suck it up and have it done.

Damn, I want to do some 440lbs squats again :)
Would you believe it if I said that I injured myself while warming up in the legpress with 200lbs? I went too far down and the pain shot through my back and leg immediatly. The day after I rushed to my chiropractor that tried to free the pressure from my hip that had locked itself in one place due to the pain but was unable to do so. A couple of weeks after I saw a doctor that also said it was all in my hip, it had locked so the pain was from that. He prescribed me some Paraflex (muscle relaxers) and Diklofenak (painkillers) The second doctor I saw.. oh and before that I had to rush to the emergency room since the pain was so unbearable I thought my calf was about to spontainously combust. No help there, I had to wait for 2 goddamn hours with with no help whatsoever so I went home and I was able to sleep. I called the hospital the morning after. A new doctor agreed to see me the same day and him beeing an orthoped (sp?) and all said that it was a ruptured disc. That's the story so far, excluding the x-rays and whatnot.

simpllyhuge-
I live in Europe, Sweden to be exact and my insurance covers it all. We have free medical care (is that the correct term?) Anyway, I get any and all bloodwork done for $15 for example. About the "stretch-bench", what you basically do is lie down on a two part bench and have your hip locked down on one part of the device and your chest on the other part. An electric engine/motor pulls the two sides apart. It's actually quite comfortable, atleast if there is pressure on the scatic nerve. Take it easy with the hyperextensions since they may cause the disc to rupture even more.

Thank you guys, this really means alot to me!
Sorry for any bad spelling.

Thanks for the advice. When you hurt your self doing leg presses, did you let your lower back come off the pad? im confused about how you hurt it and want to make sur ei dont do the same.

simpllyhuge said:
Thanks for the advice. When you hurt your self doing leg presses, did you let your lower back come off the pad? im confused about how you hurt it and want to make sur ei dont do the same.

No, I never go that deep, that's like begging for an injury. I just tried to stretch my hamstrings and glute before putting on more weight. My back or glute did never leave the pads, I was just unlucky I quess?
This really sucks since I was recovering from previous injuries in my pec and knees. Running a sweet cutting cycle and all, damn I feel depressed. Hopefully my "24/7 accident insurance" covers this and leaves me with some spare cash.

I certainly feel for you guys. I have a ruptured L5-S-1 that I have been nursing for the past year or so.

Stretching has helped me as well. The only thing I can do to work my legs though is hack squats and extensions/curls.

I work in the disability management field and the folks I work with have advised me to avoid surgery if at all possible (in my case).

The strange thing for me is that I have days (usually after heavy workouts) where my whole body seems to ache. I suspect it its from the tighenting up of the other muscle groups as they compensate for the injury.

Hang in there. It is good to know there is hope and that these things can get better with time.

It was probably not the 200lb leg press that is the cause of the problem but repetitive stress over time. Many people slip a disc by just bending over to pick up a piece of paper. However, how many times before that did they use improper body mechanics throughout their days.

I don't think a bulged disk is same as a ruptured one I have 3 bulged ones near upper neck with bone spurs compressing nerves affecting shoulders.

dude said:
It was probably not the 200lb leg press that is the cause of the problem but repetitive stress over time. Many people slip a disc by just bending over to pick up a piece of paper. However, how many times before that did they use improper body mechanics throughout their days.

OR the chiropractor did the real damage. I've went to a few that have fucked me up.

BigT

Thanks for sharing! I'm really trying to avoid surgery but if the surgeons believe that there is no other way, then I'll be forced to have it done. You can do leg extensions? I can't lift my legs that high.

Dude

You are probably right on the whole repetive stress issue. It's just that the leg press was the last straw so to speak. I felt the pain immediatly when I was about to push the weight up again. This was at the fifth rep or so.

DG

After reading these posts I would say that a bulged disc and a slipped disc are the same thing and a ruptured disc would be a leaking disc? I don't know. English is not my first language, as you may have noticed :)

EZStreet

Ofcourse there is a possibility that the chiro fucked me up but I have been to him so many times that he should know my body at this point, but you never know..

Thank you all for posting!

simpllyhuge said:
can you elaborate on the leg press thing, im confused as to how the leg press hurt your back.

Sure, I was lowering the weight on my fifth or so rep, decided to go a little deeper than before to get a better stretch. The exact moment I changed momentum (started pushing the weight up i.e) I felt the pain shoot through my glute and leg, down through my calf, ending at my foot.

Back