Silk Road 2.0 Bust - What does this mean?

cybrsage

I just read the press report from the FBI:

Operator of Silk Road 2.0 Website Charged in Manhattan Federal Court

Silk Road 2.0, Launched in November 2013 After Its Predecessor was Shut Down by Law Enforcement, Has Enabled More Than 100,000 People to Buy and Sell Illegal Drugs Anonymously Over the Internet.

According to the Complaint unsealed today in Manhattan federal court:

Since about December 2013, BENTHALL, a/k/a "Defcon"; has secretly owned and operated an underground website known as Silk Road 2.0;one of the most extensive, sophisticated, and widely used criminal marketplaces on the Internet today. The website has operated on the Tor network, a special network of computers on the Internet, distributed around the world, designed to conceal the true IP addresses of the computers on the network and thereby the identities of the network's users. Since its launch in November 2013, Silk Road 2.0 has been used by thousands of drug dealers and other unlawful vendors to distribute hundreds of kilograms of illegal drugs and other illicit goods and services to buyers throughout the world, as well as to launder millions of dollars generated by these unlawful transactions. As of September 2014, Silk Road 2.0 was generating sales of at least approximately $8 million per month and had approximately 150,000 active users.
FBI ? Operator of Silk Road 2.0 Website Charged in Manhattan Federal Court

What does this mean to people who cycle using drugs obtained illegally? I know no one here uses drugs obtained illegally, but I am sure there are people out there on other forums who do.

I guess I'm not understanding the question. It's business as usual, a large (decent) bust to look good, and all other things move forward as normal. I see it at the lowest of the low grunt level, and things are the same from top to bottom. If the U.S. government truly wanted to put a dent in major drug activity they could.

I don't see how this affects users of these types of boards. The UGL's are the UGL's. I'm assuming most weren't using Silk Road to get their raws. Silk Road would affect the flow of marijuana, Heroin, Cocaine, firearms, other various forms of weaponry, etc. I actually got on the original Silk Road when I first heard of the "Deep Web", just to see what it was about. You could get military grade body armor, all kinds of weapons, all kinds of narcotics, some people were randomly selling AAS, but it didn't seem to be a focal point of the site at all.

My biggest thought was, I'd never do business through that site, because even if I received what I purchased, I'm pretty sure that's a place where terrorist cells can move various products. I'm not down with funding terrorism.

The dark net is not a place to do business safely. If would suck to be held as a enemy combatant with no bail for aiding a terrorist by suppling them with funds. Silk road doesn't effect us unless you have been doing business there an d have some how brought heat here from you transactions there.

Wow, I never made a connection between Terrorists and Silk Road. Geeze! Yeah, best to stay away from such places!

it will have no effect. I'm pretty sure silkroad 3.0 is already up and running. It's a never ending battle and the govt will continue to waste tax money as long as they have an endless supply. It's an endless game of whackamole.

Interesting story and certainly unique to the digital times. I'd never go on that Silk Road site but frankly, I think all substances should be legalized. Just treat it all like alcohol is treated now. Punish harm to others, but don't punish people for things they do to themselves. Just my .02.

Back