Straps Vs. Chalk

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
huskyguy said:
chalk is ideal but many gyms frown on it or don't even allow it--so straps are an alternative when doing heavy weight--hooked gloves work well too for the heaviest set once your grip has been exhausted.

I dont even give gyms that dont allow chalk a second look. Straps in my opinion are not an alternative to using your own grip. Straps have their place no doubt, but they are not an alternative to your own grip.

I agree alternative was the wrong word choice, they are great for the heaviest set especially if your grip is exhausted and you still have energy to lift more.

I use straps alot.

My grip is going to give out far before my back on many back excersies. Straps are key in my workouts when it comes to throwing around heavy weights. You can only hold on for so long.

I do have good forearm development, straps really don't make much of a difference. Your forearms are still going to get a workout holding onto the weight. You just get to think about the lift more, not wondering when you are going to drop the damn weight when you lose your grip.

LiftTillIDie said:
Wow I feel like you and Rookie are in danger of tearing out a bicep or something on the way down.
Everybody I know (college football at least) that do hangs don't drop the bar between reps..

We used to be allowed to use straps for hangs, and I was doing crazy weight (at least for me).. But that is a different story.. Everytime you drop the bar down from your shoulders to your thighs, you're putting the force of the weight as well as the gravitational acceleration on your grip.

When talkign about a lift like cleans, I don't think you should sacrifice the gains for the rest of your body for your forearms.

If you're a BB-er iot doesnt really matter I guess. but i will say that i have seen many people use straps nad have the girliest looking forearms ive seen... grip work is so easy

and another thing i have seen peole use straps on the GIRLIEST weight. if you're deadlifting 315 and using straps thats terrible. maybe you can still develop decent forearms with using straps, but you're probably still much better off not using them.

huskyguy said:
I agree alternative was the wrong word choice, they are great for the heaviest set especially if your grip is exhausted and you still have energy to lift more.

Agreed.

LiftTillIDie said:
Wow I feel like you and Rookie are in danger of tearing out a bicep or something on the way down.

I have a solution. Hey, this thread just helped me out! Thanks man!

I will clean the weight up, and have the power rack set up so I can just put the weight on it instead of letting it down or dropping it! Perfect. The power rack at my gym you can move the bars like normal, and the hooks for stuff like shoulder press etc.

I bought a big box of chalk blocks off ebay for pretty cheap if I remember and it sure does last a LONG time. I have been using chalk now for 4 months and only maybe 1/8 of the way through one block.

02gixxersix said:
I bought a big box of chalk blocks off ebay for pretty cheap if I remember and it sure does last a LONG time. I have been using chalk now for 4 months and only maybe 1/8 of the way through one block.

Yeah I buy 12 blocks in a pack for like 8 bucks I think. Local shop.

Jusee said:
Yeah I buy 12 blocks in a pack for like 8 bucks I think. Local shop.
And that shit will last a lifetime right lol. I don't go crazy with it, just enough to keep me dry. I do put it on between every heavy lift though, but only on my hands none of the bar itself so maybe thats why.

Slayer said:
I sneak it in. In a plastic shopping bag, wrapped in a towel.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people that run your gym are a joke and probably dont know the first thing about bodybuilding etc.

Jusee said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! The people that run your gym are a joke and probably dont know the first thing about bodybuilding etc.

Isn't that the truth. All they know is how to get new members.

Jusee said:
I dont even give gyms that dont allow chalk a second look. Straps in my opinion are not an alternative to using your own grip.

Then dont use chalk either if you want to use your own grip.

I dont think palms should be sweating really by the time you work up to a max if your warmup volume is reasonable. I know some people are palm sweaters though, I'm a back sweater, but I'm not going to do a lot of workload before a max attempt.

I like straps for rows and shrugs, for deads I dont happen to need them.

Chalk though is still unnatural, so are shoes, but we wear them in daily life (most of us). Chalk however is not something most of us walk around with, at the ready. So I still see it as assistance. I wipe my hands on a towel as I'm psyching up for my lift.

Back