Straps Vs. Chalk

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
I use straps all the time. If Im in there to do back for example, than Im going to hit my back. I dont want to have to worry about my grip when rowing or pulling. Pulling, well thats a different realm and I can see the whole chalk/straps issue (I still use straps when I cant use chalk). But other than that, Ill fucking use straps all day. Chins, rows, etc. Then I do the strangest thing, I actually do grip work. Imagine that.

People who just scoff at the idea of using straps arent looking it it from the right perspective imo. Sure, I can do all the things I currently do without straps. But why? Tis why god created grip work.

cleans are meant to be dropped to the floor, period. but sadly, most gyms, without the bumper plates and all, doesn't allow it and of course, dropping iron plates are nasty..sucks really

Why do some gyms ban the use of chalk? Personally, I use chalk only when I go heavy; never before. I don't use wraps, but I can see how some guys need to use them for shrugs, and other exercises, which ask a lot from your grip.

Because its messy and a lot of people go overboard with it. Then theyd actually have to pay someone to clean it. Much easier to ban it.

I don't use chalk or straps to dead. I may use chalk occasionally for reps but i don't really need it. As for straps, i use them on shrugs if i ever do them, and rack deads and SLDL's. I hate doing racks and Stiff legs with an over under grip, so the only other option is straps. As far as the other bullshit back work, i don't think i have ever even come close to losing my grip. I think if you need grip for what you do, not using straps is good, due to the amount of volume you get. As far as bodybuilding goes, i think if you have massive forearms do whatever, if you don't, maybe you should look at the fact that you are using straps for everything. Like verything else, their is no cut and dry answer.

here's something from a guy who doesn't use strap and is against the use of them and he's from my gym too:

don't use straps because when the weight comes down fast, it will pull your hands off your arms.

those are not the specific words..but ya get the idea. best advice ever

The debate will go on and on.

People who use straps will defend thier use. People who dont will argue why using them is stupid. Find a method that works for you and go with it.

AngryMuscles said:
here's something from a guy who doesn't use strap and is against the use of them and he's from my gym too:

don't use straps because when the weight comes down fast, it will pull your hands off your arms.

those are not the specific words..but ya get the idea. best advice ever

That doesnt make sense physically. If you let go of the bar the straps slip off. If you didn't let go and the bar was going down, there would be no unbalanced force on your forearms/hands. There is no way straps would do that.

I'm really high right now.

had a deadlift PR of 405x1 two times the other day with nothing other than chalk. I think it was more of a mental thing than actually needing it (chalk) because the only people i've seen using it were some heavy as PL'ers.

Placebo effect works fine for me. The dude that was cleaning up asked me about it, i convinced him to try it and he liked it...doubt ill be gettin any complaints.

AngryMuscles said:
cleans are meant to be dropped to the floor, period. but sadly, most gyms, without the bumper plates and all, doesn't allow it and of course, dropping iron plates are nasty..sucks really
Go in any college/pro football weightroom. If they're doing HANG cleans, they won't drop them. Then again, we use bumper plates for olympic lifts.

AngryMuscles said:

That only happens if your grip fails, and with straps that is unlikely. What the hell is he doing, in order to induce such an event? Or is he just completely retarded?

I use straps for shrugs, and when I rep deads, bent over rows and occasionally pullups. Whatever my 1RM for deads is at any given time on or off cycle I can still pull it raw with no belt, straps or wraps. I dont use chalk ever, I just make sure my hands are good and dry with my towel. Support rows, 1 arm iso rows and pretty much anything else I dont bother with the straps. I use them just enough to avoid extreme fatigue. Things like bent over rows would suffer without them.

Anyone doing 1RM Olympic lifts is not going to be seen using straps, ever.

using double over hand grip w\straps for floor deads currently. The only reason isbecause i am battling tendonitis in both elbows\foreamrs so havent been able to train formearms much.

But usually i use over under grip w\chalk for floor deads

Back