70's Bodybuilding - What were they using?

needsize said:
one factor not being mentioned is that the top guys back then had awesome genetics, which would account for the lack of notable sides, as well as the crazy physiques. I have trained around guys like Arnold, they can grow more on 500mg of test, then I can on 2000mg+, and thats without the greatest nutrition. Some guys also never really get sides, doesnt matter what they take. Personally I get very few, no zits, little bloat, only thing I notice is blood pressure

Agreed I've got a mate who just looks at a weight and seems to get bigger, his symetry and definition is nuts and he only works out 5-10 times a month...he's what's known as a lucky MOFO! If he took steroids I'd shudder to think what he could do!

Lucky13 said:
Agreed I've got a mate who just looks at a weight and seems to get bigger, his symetry and definition is nuts and he only works out 5-10 times a month...he's what's known as a lucky MOFO! If he took steroids I'd shudder to think what he could do!

exactly, people forget how big a factor genetics are. In any other sport, everyone knows they are key, ie, doesnt matter how much juice you take, you arent going to run under 10 seconds in the 100 yard dash unless you are born to, bodybuilding is the same

Needsize, you have a good point but It does not answer 1 question. The guys of today are every bit the genetic freaks they were in the past and yet they still display a huge amount of side effects, gyno, acne, balding, etc.. Now everyone knows they are using alot more drugs today but one would think that the advances in science and in particular anti-estrogens and blockers would keep some of these sides in check.

Even at 500mgs of test a week and some Dbol, the guys of the 70's should have displayed some kind of side effect. Maybe not all of the guys but there should have been a few.

For example, Mike Katz and a few of the amature bodybuilders in Pumping Iron. I think everyone knows that some of these guys were NOT blessed with the best genetics. There is probably a total of 40 or so bodybuilders in the movie pumping iron and none of them had any kind of gyno or any other sides..

I have never suffered reduced hair - acne - any visible signs of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use. I have very slight hard lumps but its so hard no one could tell.

In the past i have used some stupid amounts. So not everyone suffers side effects like others.

DirkMoneyshot said:
I have never suffered reduced hair - acne - any visible signs of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use. I have very slight hard lumps but its so hard no one could tell.

In the past i have used some stupid amounts. So not everyone suffers side effects like others.

hard lumps on what?

Bodybuilders 35 years ago actually had a large percentage of the same gear we have today. They had access to test, dbal, deca, anadrol, Winstrol (winny), and a few others. From what I understand a few of the top stars then did HUGE doses, but most did not and likely did much less then many state level competitors.

Below are a couple of quotes from an interview with Sergio Oliva:

Sergio Oliva said:
: This is an area of great interest for people. I don't care who wants to take steroids, because that's a personal choice... that's his life. Now, today, everybody has access to them. I even saw in one of the big magazines that Arnold denies having used them, but Arnold was one of the first to bring steroids over to America. And everybody in the old days used them: Zane, Columbu, myself, Arnold, Larry Scott, Harold Poole, Dave Draper, and even Steve Reeves. There's no way to deny it. It wasn't much, nothing like today. But the development of drugs is much different. I used decca and dianabol, and that was something really big at the time; and decca was not considered that bad. It was even prescribed by doctors to help make your bones strong. Today you have guys weighing 200 pounds, and six months later they weigh 250-300 pounds! So you know these guys are taking something unbelievable. When they say they haven't taken any thing, you know that it's phony.

Geez...We used to talk about the big deal of taking decca and dianabol. Now the talk is about growth hormone. I see what they are using... the way they look... I tell you, it's scary... I would pass on that. Anybody can go work out and get a physique without steroids, and that is what I recommend. The drugs today is not worth the money or the way it makes you look. The consequences later are going to be big.

When you take steroids you have to train even harder... otherwise the excess weight later turns into fat. If you train hard, eat well with quality protein, and take a good vitamin and mineral, then you can achieve a good physique. And a good physique comes from about 45% of your genes, whereas the rest is from training. So, if you're going to be something, then you're going to be something. If you're not, then you're not. But with all those steroids, you're going to be one of the group... you're not going to be different. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone... to my friends or any of my family.

I'm not sure why these guys didn't get gyno, but from listening to things said by Dave Draper, Mike Mentzer and others, I would suppose they did not use a fraction of what modern competitors and even 180 lb kids on message boards use. ;)

Last edited:
John Benz said:
Bodybuilders 35 years ago actually had a large percentage of the same gear we have today. They had access to test, dbal, deca, anadrol, Winstrol (winny), and a few others. From what I understand a few of the top stars then did HUGE doses, but most did not and likely did much less then many state level competitors.

Below are a couple of quotes from an interview with Sergio Oliva:

I'm not sure why these guys didn't get gyno, but from listening to things said by Dave Draper, Mike Mentzer and others, I would suppose they did not use a fraction of what modern competitors and even 180 lb kids on message boards use. ;)

It's funny when big time BBers or PLers admit to using they always say "yeah i only do 500mg of test a week *COUGH* MULE *COUGH* and lee priest only goes on 8 weeks out :insane2:

also olivia is so bullshit on 45% of it being genetics. its proably more like 70% if not higher.

skarhead1 said:
also olivia is so bullshit on 45% of it being genetics. its proably more like 70% if not higher.

How many guys are there at are 260 ripped but nowhere near their pro card? Lots, because they simply don't have the genetics. (okay, not LOTS, but there are enough).

skarhead1 said:
It's funny when big time BBers or PLers admit to using they always say "yeah i only do 500mg of test a week *COUGH* MULE *COUGH* and lee priest only goes on 8 weeks out :insane2:

What the fuck are you talking about Mule has posted his cutting cycle here before and I think it was near 4 g's a week.

LiftTillIDie said:
What the fuck are you talking about Mule has posted his cutting cycle here before and I think it was near 4 g's a week.

Well, if you read one of his interviews a few years ago, u would of gotten that u god damn neard

outlawtas2 said:
How many guys are there at are 260 ripped but nowhere near their pro card? Lots, because they simply don't have the genetics. (okay, not LOTS, but there are enough).

oh you see theme very day :sleep:

I've seen a dozen or so guys who are pro size but could never actually make it. That is just in my relatively small area. They are around.

yeah but what % of the population has those genetics? I would day 8%

skarhead1 said:
yeah but what % of the population has those genetics? I would day 8%

Genetics to be a pro? Far less than 8%. Genetics that allow them to attain pro-size with solid diet, training, and plenty of gear? Way more than 8%.

Back