are keto diets good?

Gumaro

in 2002 (or so), this diet was very popular among the BBing forums. fast forward to today, you hardly see this diet.

at 30 years of age, my bf% has gone up to 20 and i desperately need to get it back down (at least 10). i have had great success with normal diets (low carbs, high protein) in my early 20s but havent stuck to a good diet recently. i am looking into CKD to lose my BF. can i really eat foods like pepperoni, bacon, pork rinds, etc and still lose BF? any help is appreciated

im at 190lbs, 5'10. not looking to get 'shredded' just want to lose the BF and see my abs again

keto diets are good for feeling like shit and losing all the muscle you have.

www.fitday.com

use that web page to find how many kcals you need to eat each day to maintain (include excercise) and reduce by 20% to cut weight without muscle loss. re-evaluate every few weeks and just go till youre happy...

btw that means balanced diet. meat, dairy, grains, fruit.

Warmachine said:
keto diets are good for feeling like shit and losing all the muscle you have.

I don't know about that, I think the main reason why the diet is no longer as popular is that it's so damn difficult and anti-social, not that it's ineffective.

I don't think it makes you lose muscle either, at least when I did it, I saw minimal muscle loss at all.

There are other ways to lose fat that aren't so restrictive.

Timed carb diet

TxLonghorn said:
I don't know about that, I think the main reason why the diet is no longer as popular is that it's so damn difficult and anti-social, not that it's ineffective.

I don't think it makes you lose muscle either, at least when I did it, I saw minimal muscle loss at all.

There are other ways to lose fat that aren't so restrictive.

I have to agree with you. I'm not on a full fledged Keto diet but on one that's close and It's working pretty good. I am doing the timed carb diet. I lost 3.5 pounds in the first week and my biceps measurement stayed the same and my waistline dropped a bit. I was shooting for 2.5 lbs but I did not mind because I actually added some weight to the bar which I have never been able to do while dieting. I usually try to do a more balanced diet plan and use the fit day site. I always end up messing up somewhere and lose a lot of muscle and strength. I am pretty confident that this is going to work. I switched from a high protein, low fat, moderate carb diet and I was getting weak like always when I diet. I took the plunge into the time carbed diet and now, 10 days in I feel stronger and I am losing.

I did use the Keto Diet for going to 30% bf to 20% bf some years ago. It did work great and I was able to build some muscles in the meantime. Now that i get older (I'm 30) I like to have more carbs in my diet because I don't feel well anymore eating too much fat.
I think this diet works great for people who eat too much carbs like i do.

Here's a question...is under 60g of carbs good enough for ketosis? I'm a vegetarian and a lot of the foods I eat have maybe 5 or 6g of carbs per serving...I was able to figure something out where the macronutrient ratio is about 60/10/30...:dunno:

Brat said:
Here's a question...is under 60g of carbs good enough for ketosis? I'm a vegetarian and a lot of the foods I eat have maybe 5 or 6g of carbs per serving...I was able to figure something out where the macronutrient ratio is about 60/10/30...:dunno:

I wouldn't worry too much about ketosis, lowering your carb intake will help fatloss and 60g is pretty low in the grand scheme of things.

There are also variations on the keto diet, like the ckd (cyclical ketogenic diet) and the tkd (targeted ketogenic diet). Ckd's are what bbers are used to, keto diet 6 days and gorge for a day. Tkd's are where you don't gorge, but you hit the carbs hard right after you workout.

Like I said, I think the reason you rarely hear about keto diets anymore is because of how difficult they are, not because they aren't effective.

TxLonghorn said:
I wouldn't worry too much about ketosis, lowering your carb intake will help fatloss and 60g is pretty low in the grand scheme of things.

There are also variations on the keto diet, like the ckd (cyclical ketogenic diet) and the tkd (targeted ketogenic diet). Ckd's are what bbers are used to, keto diet 6 days and gorge for a day. Tkd's are where you don't gorge, but you hit the carbs hard right after you workout.

Like I said, I think the reason you rarely hear about keto diets anymore is because of how difficult they are, not because they aren't effective.

Yeah, I've been reading McDonald's book all weekend...Needless to say, I now know why I didn't major in biology or kinesology or something...I hafta re-read things a coupla times before I understand it...I think I'm going with a CKD-style...and, minus fiber (which McDonald says not to count towards the overall carb count), I'm getting about 35g of carbs...so...yay...haha...I can't wait for Saturday...:wiggle:

Brat said:
Yeah, I've been reading McDonald's book all weekend...Needless to say, I now know why I didn't major in biology or kinesology or something...I hafta re-read things a coupla times before I understand it...I think I'm going with a CKD-style...and, minus fiber (which McDonald says not to count towards the overall carb count), I'm getting about 35g of carbs...so...yay...haha...I can't wait for Saturday...:wiggle:
so on these diets minus out fiber intake?

Brat said:

Yeah, Lyle McDonald pretty much was/is the guru on those diets. I was a member of the lowcarb list that him, dan duchaine, elzi volk, and others were a part of back in the mid 90s.

I didn't know as much then as I do now, but it was certainly interesting.

TxLonghorn said:
Yeah, Lyle McDonald pretty much was/is the guru on those diets. I was a member of the lowcarb list that him, dan duchaine, elzi volk, and others were a part of back in the mid 90s.

I didn't know as much then as I do now, but it was certainly interesting.

Confusing as hell, too!! There was a reason that my science classes brought my GPA down in college...blah...

Brat said:
Well ive been on a TKD diet for 16 days now and I have dropped from 220 to 205 as of this morning though Im also doing cardio 5-6 days EW and taking some clen aswell but all in all Im happy with my results so far I just want to get down to 195 and ill stop. Also Brat Saturdays arent as pleasant as youd hope they are. After 5-6 days of minimal carbs the carb loading makes you feel like crap and I generally dont look forward to the carb up. The refeed actually makes me groggy and feel like a lazy fuck.

Popichulo said:
Well ive been on a TKD diet for 16 days now and I have dropped from 220 to 205 as of this morning though Im also doing cardio 5-6 days EW and taking some clen aswell but all in all Im happy with my results so far I just want to get down to 195 and ill stop. Also Brat Saturdays arent as pleasant as youd hope they are. After 5-6 days of minimal carbs the carb loading makes you feel like crap and I generally dont look forward to the carb up. The refeed actually makes me groggy and feel like a lazy fuck.

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier...because basically, it's like, double the cals and everything, along with all the carbs...I'm gonna feel so bloated...

Have you done a CKD-style?? I know with a TKD, you get carbs around your workout...I thought about adding some clen, depending on how this all works out...I'm hesitent to use clen because it always cuts my endurance, and I love to run...not so fun on clen...

I'm down four pounds since yesterday, but it's water...

I've been loosely following a CKD diet for the last week and a half and have lost 8lbs. Because of a lower back problem I have steered clear of the gym so I can't tell if my lifts are suffering but I will say one thing...I have a boatload of energy. I lost 40 lbs about 5 years ago doing Atkins. I joined a gym at that point and really couldn't move much weight so I started eating carbs again and as I got fatter, I got stronger. Plus my energy started to suck again. Now that I am somewhat happy with my #'s in the gym I have cut carbs again to see how I respond.
I think there is something to be said about keto type diets.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I'm able to maintain my energy for all the running and blading I do...

Brat said:
Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier...because basically, it's like, double the cals and everything, along with all the carbs...I'm gonna feel so bloated...

Have you done a CKD-style?? I know with a TKD, you get carbs around your workout...I thought about adding some clen, depending on how this all works out...I'm hesitent to use clen because it always cuts my endurance, and I love to run...not so fun on clen...

I'm down four pounds since yesterday, but it's water...
Yeah I generally feel bloated and groggy on my refeed days I think I might just make it a few cheat meals that day instead of a complete carb load. I hav elearned that #1 I am extremely carb sensetive, I eat carbs and put on 5lbs that day. #2 Carbs tend to give me gas.

Yeah I have done a CKD style diet before and I generally lik ethe whole diet , I really dont feel like Im dieting at all. I must admit im guilty of the ramdom nibble on some bread or a few fries when I go out with friends but generally I keep my carbs to a very minimum usually below 50g/Day

Popichulo said:
Yeah I generally feel bloated and groggy on my refeed days I think I might just make it a few cheat meals that day instead of a complete carb load. I hav elearned that #1 I am extremely carb sensetive, I eat carbs and put on 5lbs that day. #2 Carbs tend to give me gas.

Yeah I have done a CKD style diet before and I generally lik ethe whole diet , I really dont feel like Im dieting at all. I must admit im guilty of the ramdom nibble on some bread or a few fries when I go out with friends but generally I keep my carbs to a very minimum usually below 50g/Day

I have a major carb addiction - fruit and oatmeal especially - but I need to lean out, so I figured I'd give it a try...it's kinda weird going from a vegetarian, higher carb diet to this...

Back