are keto diets good?

adidamps2 said:
lol i guess...just up your fiber intake...lol
I just try not to take in more that 5-10g of carbs/meal. Which would keep me under 50g or so for the day. Shit everything has some carbs in it ex I have a salad (Ranch=4g carbs) Protein shake (3g carbs/serv) Eggs I use ketchup (4g Carbs/serv) Steak I use A1 (3g carbs/serv) etc etc.

Popichulo said:
I just try not to take in more that 5-10g of carbs/meal. Which would keep me under 50g or so for the day. Shit everything has some carbs in it ex I have a salad (Ranch=4g carbs) Protein shake (3g carbs/serv) Eggs I use ketchup (4g Carbs/serv) Steak I use A1 (3g carbs/serv) etc etc.
i have been good about staying under 10grams a meal as well..it is hard to do though..i use salad dressing that have either 1-2 or 0 carbs a serving like ceasar dressing or italian dressing. and i use protien powders with 0 carbs as well. most of my carbs comes from either romain lettuce or baby spinach and PB or almonds. my daily intake has been right around 30-40 carbs total with a diet rock star in there and not minusing out fiber on non-work out days.

Popichulo said:

You know they have low-carb ketchup, right?? It's pretty good...and it's good to know I'm not the only person that uses ketchup on eggs...just not right now...

My macronutrient level is about 50/10/40, and about 1700 calories...try to do cardio twice a day...this is not fun...haha...

Brat...I wonder if your calories are too low. Or you are overworking yourself. Believe it or not when I go low carb I have more energy which goes against everything you read. Maybe I respond differently. I did it for 4 months straight a few years back with the occasional cheat meal every other weekend and felt great all the time. Then I join this board and everybody said that I should eat carbs so I did. I got stronger but I got fatter.

Brat said:
You know they have low-carb ketchup, right?? It's pretty good...and it's good to know I'm not the only person that uses ketchup on eggs...just not right now...
Yeah I know and ive used it but anything that doesnt taste exactley like the origional I dont like.

Fender said:
Brat...I wonder if your calories are too low. Or you are overworking yourself. Believe it or not when I go low carb I have more energy which goes against everything you read. Maybe I respond differently. I did it for 4 months straight a few years back with the occasional cheat meal every other weekend and felt great all the time. Then I join this board and everybody said that I should eat carbs so I did. I got stronger but I got fatter.

My body just needs time to adjust...

Popichulo said:
Yeah I know and ive used it but anything that doesnt taste exactley like the origional I dont like.

Hah...I guess I never really noticed that much of a taste difference...kinda like I can barely tell the difference between Diet Mt. Dew and regular Mt. Dew...:dunno:

Brat said:
Hah...I guess I never really noticed that much of a taste difference...kinda like I can barely tell the difference between Diet Mt. Dew and regular Mt. Dew...:dunno:
Your tastebuds are made to diet.....

damn im comin late in this thread I should check more often , well keto diets in my opinion are effective but not in everyone , you really have to have high protein levels and all the good fat covered , and ketosis doesnt mean u must have NO Carbs it just mean u must have so low carbs that your body will use ketones has fuel ( ketones come from broken down fatty acids ) to know when u are in ketosis get some ketostick at the pharmacy and I dont suggest u stay in ketosis more than 4 weeks and try to get a nice muscle sparing product like Coleus Forskholi . iNCREASE ur Glutamine intake and maybe taking some BCAA before and during ur workout would be a could way to stay anabolic .

Each body is different and will respond differently. With weight training and a very low carb/high fat keto diet I went from 300lbs at 60+% body fat to 170lbs at 15% body fat. Now I do something a bit differently. I have my carbs, but cycle them.

I start my day with raisin bran, milk, and a whey/water shake. Hit the gym then have a milk, whey, banana shake, sometimes a dextrose then whey shake. About 1-1.5 hours later it's fish and a sweet potato. After that, I go into carb cut-off mode. Chicken and salad or beef and salad. I take olive oil and fish oil to make sure I'm getting enough healthy fats. Right now I'm at 185lbs and 8-10%BF. I eat 6 meals a day and am cutting on 2500-3000 calories/day - with strength and LBM gains.

Two days a week, on leg day and back day I have cheat meals later in the day. Either pizza or burritos to keep my thyroid functioning well. On days I don't lift or do cardio, I have almost no carbs. Just meats, oils, and green veggies. I'm not very big or very strong, but for an old fat guy who was too fat to walk less than 3 years ago - timed ketosis has been perfect with good results for me.

Since I cut the carbs way back I no longer have the gastric difficulties I had before (on cheat days I fart a lot though).

The formula for me is pretty easy Protein=1.5g/lb of lbm, C=1g/lb of lbm, F=0.5g/lb of lbm. Keep ALL the carbs centered around the workouts - then have a cheat meal not a cheat day twice a week. Don't count calories or macros on cheat meal days, because you'll be 500-1000 over and have a heart attack - unless you are bulking then the extra is cool.

BTW, add to those numbers if you are "enhanced" it probably won't be enough for you.

Okay, so I found this thing that basically figures out how much fat/protein/carbs I should be getting a day on a CKD diet...How in the world am I supposed to get 150 g of fat!?!?

Brat said:
Okay, so I found this thing that basically figures out how much fat/protein/carbs I should be getting a day on a CKD diet...How in the world am I supposed to get 150 g of fat!?!?
150g is easy
whole eggs
sausage
cheese
ovile oil
flax oil
fish oil
red meat
nuts (almonds and PB are my favorites)
salad dressing like ceasar, ranch, italian
large quantaties of chicken breast
black olives

adidamps2 said:
150g is easy
whole eggs
sausage
cheese
ovile oil
flax oil
fish oil
red meat
nuts (almonds and PB are my favorites)
salad dressing like ceasar, ranch, italian
large quantaties of chicken breast
black olives

...I don't wanna die of clogged arteries...:wiggle: Besides, I only eat chicken, so sausage is out...this is insane...I'm supposed to get 150 g of fat and about 100 g of protein? I get about 70 g of fat and 250 g of protein...blah blah blah!! :sulk:

Brat said:
...I don't wanna die of clogged arteries...:wiggle: Besides, I only eat chicken, so sausage is out...this is insane...I'm supposed to get 150 g of fat and about 100 g of protein? I get about 70 g of fat and 250 g of protein...blah blah blah!! :sulk:
sausage aside...
eggs and EFA's along with cheese will get your fat intake up.
i eat egglands best eggs (lrg eggs)
4grams fat per egg i eat 3-5 whole eggs a day (12-20g fat)
1 oz of almonds ED (16g fat)
2-4tbls of PB ED (16-32g fat)
8 grams of EFA's ED (flax/fish combo)
1-2 oz cheese ED (7-18g fat)
8-10oz chicken ED (7-11g fat)
salad dressing 2-4 tbls ED (roughly 13-26g fat)
this adds up fast...
EFA's are your best bet at fat intake along with eggs IMHO

Back