Ask Anything You Want about TRT Thread........

Well tomorrow is my appointment with my Endo .
I'm hoping I can convince him to do a full hormonal blood test, sleep apnea test, and a sperm test.
Where would you guys find a good solid testosterone age chart. I've found several but they very from one to another?
Trying to go in there with the best info possible.
thanks in advance

Good afternoon, I've posted about my TRT starting and bloodwork etc in other posts. I'm presently on 100 mg/week of test C. My doctor is definitely not the best and I am trying to find someone else, but for now (in Canada) I have to take what I can get to help monitor this.

My recent test:

Free Test: 74.8 pmol/L - Ref Range: 25 - 80 pmol/L
Estradiol: 194 pmol/L - Ref range: <157 pmol/L
(I believe the E converts to 53 pg/ml)

I'm excited about my Free Test as I started out with compound creams and it never moved. I knew it was working from my energy level and workouts.

My libido is still not up very much, which I suspect is the high Estradiol.

Now is the fun part, instead of prescribing and AI, he wants me to increase my Zinc to 100mg/day. Also wants me to take another supplement with chrysin in it. And keeps pushing Saw Palmetto (which has never done a thing for me)
He also wants me to lower my test C to 75mg/day. Screw that. LOL

Has anyone heard of Zinc or chrysin helping with elevated estradiol?
If I self administer an AI, what would the recommended dosage be for Arimidex? .25mg EOD a good starting place?

Thanks,

Kevin

Late 30s, not as much energy I used to have, can't keep up with the young guys as well as I'd like in the sport I play (recreation, I"m not a pro athlete by any stretch lol), can't play as often as I'd like, get lots of little nagging injuries.

Believe it or not thats about half what some of the other places I've called have quoted me. I live in an expensive area. Quite frankly I can afford it. I thought about going to my GP and trying to get him to do it, but IDK if I want to deal with the hassle, I think the extra cash is probably worth it to go somewhere that just does hormone replacement for wellness, but I always like to ask for other opinions before making a decision.

You need to get blood work. I would do it before going into the clinic. Look below in my signature and get the cheaper one from PrivateMDLabs. Post the results here and we can help you determine if you suffer from hypogonadism.

Well tomorrow is my appointment with my Endo .
I'm hoping I can convince him to do a full hormonal blood test, sleep apnea test, and a sperm test.
Where would you guys find a good solid testosterone age chart. I've found several but they very from one to another?
Trying to go in there with the best info possible.
thanks in advance

Read the Basic TRT Overview sticky thread. One is posted in that thread.

Good afternoon, I've posted about my TRT starting and bloodwork etc in other posts. I'm presently on 100 mg/week of test C. My doctor is definitely not the best and I am trying to find someone else, but for now (in Canada) I have to take what I can get to help monitor this.

My recent test:

I'm excited about my Free Test as I started out with compound creams and it never moved. I knew it was working from my energy level and workouts.

Now is the fun part, instead of prescribing and AI, he wants me to increase my Zinc to 100mg/day. Also wants me to take another supplement with chrysin in it. And keeps pushing Saw Palmetto (which has never done a thing for me)

If I self administer an AI, what would the recommended dosage be for Arimidex? .25mg EOD a good starting place?

Thanks,

Kevin

If you lower your Test dose you very well may not need an AI any longer. Nothing else he has suggested will do squat for high estradiol. You could try DIM though. That might be enough to get you in range on your current protocol. Was the E2 lab the sensitive or regular assay?

What kind of doc doesn't test Total Testosterone?

My recent test:

Thanks,

Kevin

That dogma of high dose zinc to lower estradiol is not even effective. Your estradiol is pretty high.
You didn't test for TT....
Is there a reason your doc continously chooses to avoid testing for TT even though it is the benchmark by which therapies and diagnosis regarding Testosterone are treated/monitored?
I haven't seen or heard of too much reliability in Free Testosterone being accurate for diagnosing hypogonadism or even used by the most experienced docs that monitor T levels.

If you lower your Test dose you very well may not need an AI any longer. Nothing else he has suggested will do squat for high estradiol. You could try DIM though. That might be enough to get you in range on your current protocol. Was the E2 lab the sensitive or regular assay?

What kind of doc doesn't test Total Testosterone?

Thanks Megatron. I just hated to lower my Test as I am feeling so good lately. I guess I can try it.

E2 was regular assay. I gave him all tests I wanted for my baseline and he ignored "sensitive". I've read that you can use regular as long as you always do, so you can tell high or low.
I'll look into DIM, first I've heard of it, or missed it when reading.

I'm not sure why he does not test for TT. I've read it is not the best test anyways. I refer to this write up by Dr. Crisler.
MY CURRENT BEST THOUGHTS ON HOW TO ADMINISTER TRT FOR MEN
-A RECIPE FOR SUCCESS-SECOND EDITION --John Crisler, DO

In this write up, Dr. Crisler makes it clear that Total Testosterone is not the most important test and the bioavailable T is. (Or Free T when you have a Doctor that has no clue) He states the following.

TOTAL TESTOSTERONE

This is the assay your patients will most focus on, as will clinicians unpracticed in the art. Physicians who do not understand sex hormones will deny patients the testosterone supplementation they want--and need!--when Total T is at low-normal levels. Total T is important for titration of dosing, but its relevance is reduced in older men, by virtue of their increased serum concentrations of SHBG (and therefore lowered Bioavailable Testosterone), in favor of:

I've always been confused why people are consistently posting their TT when my understanding is it likely has little to do with what their body is actually getting.

If you can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.

Trust me, I know my doc is out there, and I'm waiting to get back to a urologist that supposedly "specializes" in TRT. Unfortunately that urologist is the first one that denied me treatment because my labs were in range. Without mentioning using a different lab would put me out of range. Our Canadian medical system is so screwed up. LOL

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

That dogma of high dose zinc to lower estradiol is not even effective. Your estradiol is pretty high.
You didn't test for TT....
Is there a reason your doc continously chooses to avoid testing for TT even though it is the benchmark by which therapies and diagnosis regarding Testosterone are treated/monitored?
I haven't seen or heard of too much reliability in Free Testosterone being accurate for diagnosing hypogonadism or even used by the most experienced docs that monitor T levels.

Hello Apollon, how are you? I responded above as I am getting confused by the TT being posted by everyone, when I keep reading it is not the most relevant test.

Thanks for responding.

Kevin

Arimidex or Aromasin

With reference to the above and my doctor keeps avoiding prescribing low dose AI. He says it is a last resort. It seems in the USA they start people off with one.

Can anyone think of any reason he would avoid it? (Besides being in bed with the pharmacist he keeps sending me to for his natural supplements. LOL)

Are there any long term negative side effects to low dose AI?

What do people tend to prefer, Arimidex or Aromasin. I think I might just UGL this part and stop wasting my time with these supplements.

Kevin

Most doctors most certainly do (not) want to start you with a Ai, Usually it is trt clinic drs. Or urologist that will start you with one. Urologist are fairly quick to hand them out if you complain of erectile dysfunction. Hands down a ugl is the cheapest route for a Ai though.

I've been wondering about the AI as well. I didn't know enough to ask my doc the first time. Today he told me that he wants to up my dose from 100/week to 200/week. He acted like I was crazy for asking about the AI. I just found out they didn't even check E2 on my last test.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to start testing myself and buying the AI on my own.

Doc wants you on 200 mg/week of T (I assume all in one shot)?
And doesn't test Estradiol?
If this doc helps you with scripts....then you could get private labs done elsewhere and monitor your esteadiol....
If you're ok with looking for a.I. elsewhere. ..then...
Weigh the option that works for you.

I've been wondering about the AI as well. I didn't know enough to ask my doc the first time. Today he told me that he wants to up my dose from 100/week to 200/week. He acted like I was crazy for asking about the AI. I just found out they didn't even check E2 on my last test.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to start testing myself and buying the AI on my own.

That's what I did. I ran my own blood work and showed it to my doc. Once I proved to them that my estradiol was high I was prescribed an AI. Look below in my signature. Get the PrivateMD blood work done. Cheap and fast. You will have the results in about a day.

This is good advice ^
Only problem is guys in certain U.S. states(usually democrat ones) that can't run their own labs as well as folks in Canada.

That's what I did. I ran my own blood work and showed it to my doc. Once I proved to them that my estradiol was high I was prescribed an AI. Look below in my signature. Get the PrivateMD blood work done. Cheap and fast. You will have the results in about a day.

That's who I was thinking of using. It looks like there is a place right down the street I can use to take the blood. I'll wait a few weeks to let the higher dose soak in an get it checked.

I was wrong about the Estradiol. I was thinking that it was different than Estrogen...which it is, but he did check it and was just calling it Estrogen. Misunderstanding on my part. So E2 is in check for the moment. We will see what happens with the higher dose though. I don't have much hope for being able to take that much without an AI.

Last edited:
Just registered here and am feeling my way around this section of the board. I was tested with a total t of 290. PCP refuses to put me on TRT until he also draws a free t test. I asked about an estradiol test. He said he doesn't do that test. I told him several credible resources online say this is essential. He thinks not. Do I need to find a doctor specializing in TRT and what is everyone's opinion of the importance of estradiol testing. Thank you all.

Just registered here and am feeling my way around this section of the board. I was tested with a total t of 290. PCP refuses to put me on TRT until he also draws a free t test. I asked about an estradiol test. He said he doesn't do that test. I told him several credible resources online say this is essential. He thinks not. Do I need to find a doctor specializing in TRT and what is everyone's opinion of the importance of estradiol testing. Thank you all.

It is not required to diagnose hypogonadism. But is nice to check as it may be a cause for hypogonadism. But odds are that your estradiol is low if your T is low. Checking Free T is good too since you are close to borderline hypogonadism.

Read the Basic TRT Overview sticky in this forum for more info.

Ya usually Estradiol is low if T is. Unless you abruptly stopped TRT. Estradiol would be more dominant in that case for a short period of time.

Back