Gym etiquette

Welter

Ok how do you guys handle people that work multiple machines at once and hang their shit over the machines to tell people they are in use?

Normally I don't really care and just work my sets in but we have a few people who do it like they own the gym. I don't wanna be a dick but I don't want to stand around waiting for some guy tETFet done on another machine then come over and work in on a regular basis. Especially when the gum is busy.

If you're working 1 machine* and someone wants to use it they'd better ask but if they do I have no problem letting someone jump in between sets as long as they a) set it back up like it was when they jumped on and b) don't make me wait 5 extra minutes. If I was supersetting between 2 machines I'd hope I was going fast enough to get done before it became an issue but the same rules apply. This in no way condones "campers" that sit on a machine for 5 mins chatting up their buddys while you are waiting to use the item.

*Note this applies only to selectable resistance machines or dumbells, I'm not going to deal with some dbag unloading my squat/bench bar in between sets.

If they are not on it, it's yours. If your not sure politely ask if you can
"work in". I've never had anyone tell me no. Being nice goes a long way.

If they are supersetting when the are not using the machine it is yours for the taking.

I don't know about that, best if you ask where I go.....if you ask people are usually cool about it but if someone were to take my machine or something I was using without asking (and I don't lollygag in the gym, I don't even talk) I would personally have a fist ready lol

If they are not on it, it's yours. If your not sure politely ask if you can
"work in". I've never had anyone tell me no. Being nice goes a long way.

I almost never ask to work in unless i need to get one set in or something and im in a hurry, 90%+ of the people there are considerate of others and use 1 machine and move on when they are done but an example today was a guy who was in VERY average shape, who had his drink on the bench on the smith machine, had his towel on the T-Bar row and he was doing overhead presses with dumbells about 30 feet from the other two machines.

I use this as an example but it happens often and its usually by the same 5 or 6 people. We have hundreds at the gym so its a very small issue but it just irritates the hell out of me. And its not ever done by the hardcore gym rats its done by the guy who is there 3 days a week.

I almost never ask to work in unless i need to get one set in or something and im in a hurry, 90%+ of the people there are considerate of others and use 1 machine and move on when they are done but an example today was a guy who was in VERY average shape, who had his drink on the bench on the smith machine, had his towel on the T-Bar row and he was doing overhead presses with dumbells about 30 feet from the other two machines.

I use this as an example but it happens often and its usually by the same 5 or 6 people. We have hundreds at the gym so its a very small issue but it just irritates the hell out of me. And its not ever done by the hardcore gym rats its done by the guy who is there 3 days a week.

And that's what I meant by "campers"... if he's just walked to get a drink of water and is coming right back to the piece of equipment thats one thing but if he is just "saving" it for later then tell him to GFY.

If you walk away from a machine it's mine.I'll get my work done quickly and get out of your way when I'm done.If you want to camp out on 5 machines I will move your stuff out of my way and lift.A guy or girl using 2 machines is fine,claiming half the machines in the gym isn't going to fly with me.

You dont own the place and I'm jacked on caffeine when I lift so I wont sit still and wait for you to get done.I'm kinda large and haven't had anyone start any shit with me when I had to evict a gym bag from a machine.

i only use one bench/machine at a time, and if i need a drink between sets i leave my towel on the bench, so when i return it's still mine. only gone for 30secs,and only once has some douche taken my machine, since he was about 70yrs old i laughed it off and left my towel he was sweating on. lol
if i notice others using multiple machines it bugs me, but lots of excercises for most body parts

I have the same issue at the gym I use also. And like said above, it's always the same few people that do it. My gym isn't huge and as far as leg machines go there aren't many and it seems like me and the 75 year old man have the same schedule because every leg day he's in the room using leg ext., leg curls, calf raises, and hack squat at the same time. And like I said he's in his mid 70's so you can imagine his pace. Irritates the hell out of me.

The best possible scenario is to be able
to work out at a private gym for free.
No crowds to deal with. no BS
just you and whoever you lift with.
Pantera as loud as you want it..

The best possible scenario is to be able
to work out at a private gym for free.
No crowds to deal with. no BS
just you and whoever you lift with.
Pantera as loud as you want it..

I agree but its something about being around others makes me feel less bored. Not to mention i like the sights at my gym better than my garage lol

I could care less about being nice to guys showing such disrespect for the others in the gym. If the gym is busy, I move the towel or whatever is there on the floor. When they come back say that they were using the equipment, I say "Yep you were. Now you are using that one over there."

I usually notice that they never do it again after that. If you dont speak up and make folks realize their selfish behavior, they'll never respect the gym or its members.

I could care less about being nice to guys showing such disrespect for the others in the gym. If the gym is busy, I move the towel or whatever is there on the floor. When they come back say that they were using the equipment, I say "Yep you were. Now you are using that one over there."

I usually notice that they never do it again after that. If you dont speak up and make folks realize their selfish behavior, they'll never respect the gym or its members.

i disagree wholeheartedly. who the fuck are you to take someones towel and put it on the FLOOR? i dont think its ridiculous to use the machine if they are being excessively rude, but seriously man that is immature putting someones towel on the floor.....

My gym is usually busy enough that there's no room for campers. Everyone is good at using the equipment and moving onto the next machine. Usually every machine is available or there's only one person waiting for the next. The waiting time gives good time to rest up from the last machine.

the only time i say anything is when and if they are just pissing around. such as texting or chatting with other little pukes. i hate to be interuted while i'm in a zone. and its the little punk kids that do it. take up 3 machine and sit there on there phones
if they are really using the machines i will ask to work in.

If there is a towel on the machine or bench its that persons (however, I wait 5 minutes and then remove the towel if they don't come back within that time). If they do come back I apologize and ask if I can work in. I use multiple machines all the time. However, I make sure that I'm very quick inbetween breaks (less than a minute). If someone does take one of the machines inbetween my small breaks I wait my turn.

Back