Not trying to be a dick

hard2gain

So my gf and I went to her ultrasound today and found out she is having a girl...

I've been here to support her through this whole thing but I just really had my hopes up for a boy. My family was extremely pushing for a boy as well and I don't know how to handle this.

My gf thinks I'm an asshole because I'm not all excited but it's hard to pretend to be excited when I'm not. I'm pretty upset to tell you the truth. In the end I should just be happy that her in the baby are healthy but I'm just not handling this part of the situation very well. Any Advise or words of wisdom??

Take it from a man who has raised both sons and daughters!

the relationship and bond between a father and his little girl is the strongest there is on earth! I once thought like you but quickly realized I was wrong!

My sons are all good men and kids but my little girl is special!

I think Gender disapointment is quite common, probably more common in men than women...lol

But it's pretty normal, u dream about having a boy or girl, and then comes the ultrasound & you are not happily surprised. But u soon get over it.

I have 3 girls & was told with my oldest that it was a boy by the ultrasound tech, I had a feeling it was a girl so luckily I didn't buy anything blue, or she would have worn a lot of blue..lol

I think your feelings will pass, try & focus on the blessing it is to have a healthy baby, enjoy these moments & talk to your GF so she doesn't feel u are rejecting the baby.

Trust me once u look into your baby girls eyes you will experience true love like no other. Having a child no matter what gender changes your life for ever.
Girls are so special, ours adore their dad, (they actually always take his side, lol)
My youngest which is 4 calls P "babe"
instead of Dad, she's called him that since she learned how to talk, it so funny.

We absolutely love our girls & cannot imagine anything being different.

Best of luck to u guys :)

Last edited:
I think Gender disapointment is quite common, probably more common in men than women...lol

But it's pretty normal, u dream about having a boy or girl, and then comes the ultrasound & you are not happily surprised. But u soon get over it.

I have 3 girls & was told with my oldest that it was a boy by the ultrasound tech, I had a feeling it was a girl so luckily I didn't buy anything blue, or she would have worn a lot of blue..lol

I think your feelings will pass, try & focus on the blessing it is to have a healthy baby, enjoy these moments & talk to your GF so she doesn't feel u are rejecting the baby.

Trust me once u look into your baby girls eyes you will experience true love like no other. Having a child no matter what gender changes your life for ever.
Girls are so special, ours adore their dad, (they actually always take his side, lol)
My youngest which is 4 calls P "babe"
instead of Dad, she's called him that since she learned how to talk, it so funny.

We absolutely love our girls & cannot imagine anything being different.

Best of luck to u guys :)

My son who is 5 yrs old calls me "Babe"... and "Sweetie Pie" it's the cutest thing. I am always trying to correct him saying "no hun, I am mommy". He replies "ok, mommy babe..."

My 2 girls r my world my boys too. Be happy that it everything is going well and get over it bc it well be the best thing in ur life..

Hard2Gain...
we cannot control which Gender of our Children. Just be grateful and blessed that you and your girlfriend have been given this beautiful gift. There are many individuals that cannot have any children at all and would be happy to have a Boy or a Girl... Just to be able to conceive.

In time you will see that the precious little baby staring up at you holding your finger with her entire hand... Your heart will melt, you can still teach her sports and other things like you would with a boy. My dad did just that with me... I will always be a Daddy's girl but I am tougher than others in ways bc of his teachings and He is the only Man I will ever Trust completely.

Last edited:
My son who is 5 yrs old calls me "Babe"... and "Sweetie Pie" it's the cutest thing. I am always trying to correct him saying "no hun, I am mommy". He replies "ok, mommy babe..."

awww, that sweet Smilie :)
My little one I guess got used to me calling him babe, so she thought it was normal, everyone used to laugh seeing a 1 year old calling her dad babe...lol

i have a son and a daughter...and i will tell you that my daughter came first and i was in the same boat as you always wanting a son first and foremost and when we went for our ultrasound and seen it was a girl, there was that little bit of disappointment.

but this is the honest truth, there is no love like a daughters love...she is my world and everything...just seeing a tear roll down her cheek makes me wanna cry...it is a totally different bond that you get with her than you do with your son...i love them both the same dont get me wrong..there is just a different type of connection...i didnt think i would be that way at all with her...its extremely hard to explain and you will soon see, but everything about her just encompasses my entire life like no other.

You will be happy trust me, just be glad that you are bringing a wonderful joy into this world and as long as she is healthy its not going to matter either way son or daughter. You now have the chance to right all the wrongs that you may of had when growing up.

Congrats Bro!

Trust me, once you have the little girl she's gonna melt your heart so damn quick. You can still have a boy later down the road so it's the end of the world.

I like your honesty, shows your willing to grow and grow to love that little girl you will love her like nothing else you've ever experienced.

You are right on track my friend.

I like your honesty, shows your willing to grow and grow to love that little girl you will love her like nothing else you've ever experienced.

You are right on track my friend.

I never seen mikes soft side didnt know he had one.

H2H she will grow on you so fast. And i can already see you being so pertective over her. You will love her bro and you will figure out the plus's of a girl. Good luck on the baby bro. keep your head up and keep supporting your girl. You will be happy.

I have to say all of your posts really touched me! The idea took a bit to sink in but I came to terms with it. But reading these posts really did bring me so much closer to the idea of having a babygirl!

It's so weird that I never wanted to have kids and now that she's on the way I couldn't be more excited. The only thing I'm nervous about is making it to the gym. I told my gf I'm willing to give up anything but that and she was cool with it but we'll see.

A father in the eyes of his little girl..... Hero, Knight in Shining Armour, Strong, Protector, Teacher, The most Handsome, Confidant. Now when you have some free time, go by yourself to buy a special little angel outfit that you pick out on your own for her. When you're looking at these little darling outfits, you will feel something move in your soul. Congratulations!

A father in the eyes of his little girl..... Hero, Knight in Shining Armour, Strong, Protector, Teacher, The most Handsome, Confidant. Now when you have some free time, go by yourself to buy a special little angel outfit that you pick out on your own for her. When you're looking at these little darling outfits, you will feel something move in your soul. Congratulations!

We found out on Thursday and between my gf, mom, and aunt she already has enough outfits to last the first month lol.

I plan on being everything above to my little girl. I just want to give her a good role model on what a real man is like. I feel that is so important to young girls these days.

Bro I got 3 boys and a girl she is 15 yrs and trust me till this day she is still my little girl, she now I`m here for her and no matter what when she can`t talk to her mom calls me and let me know whats going on cause she trust me more than anyone. Since the first moment you get your baby girl on your arms your entire world will change. God bless your fam, theres nothing better than be a father..

Not to be too negative but every time I see a messed up female I usually think "shitty dad". My daughter is 8 years old, and the bond we've created is a little bit of a surprise to me. Its totally different than her relationship with her mother. Its been a great lesson for me to learn how important a father is in his daughters life.

Hard I can tell you by experience. I'm a single dad & my daughter is 10 now. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me. We have a bond that I really cannot put into words. Your little girl will melt your heart as soon as she pops out.

Back