Staright V.s. E-Z Bar for Mass?

bronx_brawla

People do...I don't.
Straight V.s. E-Z Bar for Mass?

For years I've used the E-Z bar for bicep and tricep work. But my question is geared more towards bicep work. Over the years i've heard from many people that straight bar for biceps works the best for adding overall mass. So i would use the straight bar for a awhile, and i must say it was then that my biceps started to benefit the most from it. But it puts hell on the wrists. So i switched back to the E-Z Bar. And for some reason i wasn't feeling the intensity i was feeling when i was using the straight bar. And...my arms we'rnt gaining mass...but just taking more shape.
Which brings me to my question...

Is it possible that the E-Z bars are geared more towards defining the muscle?..rather than adding mass to it? (Now remember, this is geared towards bicep workouts not triceps...reason being that you can add mass to the triceps with the E-Z bar...e.g. close grip bench)

Last edited:
straight bars are heavier and curls are curls..no matter what equipment you use as long as it is curling..it is still curling

AngryMuscles said:
straight bars are heavier and curls are curls..no matter what equipment you use as long as it is curling..it is still curling

Mayby due to the position of the wrist and forearm during E-Z bar use, you are'nt working the whole brachii group?

And as far as the straight bar being more heavy...im not talking about an olympic style one. Any straight bar for that matter. Even those crappy ones that are already pre-loaded.

You can even feel a difference in your bicep when you keep ur fists facing palm up (straight bar)...as opposed to slightly tilted. (E-Z) For me anyway.

I honestly don't think there is a difference. You lift the weight, the muscle grows. Period.

needtolosequick said:
Or your question has a simple answer that was already answered multiple times.

I agree with this man.

If you want some sort of "professional" answer hire a PT, otherwise learn to read.

if you're looking for a different answer to your question, read FLEX magazines and MUSCLE AND FITNESS magazines. they answer such!

AngryMuscles said:
if you're looking for a different answer to your question, read FLEX magazines and MUSCLE AND FITNESS magazines. they answer such!

I dont read flex and muscle and fitness. They're garbage.

Anyway...no problem...thanks anyway. :yesway:

The difference is not very large. I personally use the EZ's because of my wrists as well. Straight bar will offer a little more potential, but no big difference. Just lift away!

flex and muscle & fitness are garbage, but you believe EZ curls make your bis more defined and change their shape.:laugh:

I can't give you a study to back up my opinion, but based on my experience - I seem to get better results (both in terms of mass and definition) from the straight bar so I almost always use it for curls unless my wrist or wrists are sore and the EZ bar is more comfortable.

have you ever notices that the olypic ex curls are different than the fixed ones. they are close and seems to take the shoulder more out of the movement. i still do both kinds of ex curls thou

Trevdog said:
I can't give you a study to back up my opinion, but based on my experience - I seem to get better results (both in terms of mass and definition) from the straight bar so I almost always use it for curls unless my wrist or wrists are sore and the EZ bar is more comfortable.

I agree with Trev. But I had to switch to the ez bar when my tendonitis flares up. For some reason the easy bar doesn't aggravate it as much.

do them both. do one for 4 weeks, then switch.

You have to rotate your exercises.

But to increas the Size of the bicep, do heavy back work. Pull-ups with various grips.

Do hard forarm work so you can pull more weight.

And work all different types of bicep exercises. Just find the one that does it for you.

like trev said, FOR HIM straight bar works best... might be the same or different for you.

There is a reason why all body builders dont all do the same excersises. What works good for one person, may not work good for the next. Do what YOU like best. If you like the E-Z bar best, hit it, if you like barbell, hit it or if you like both, switch them up. Most people will say heavy barbell curls is the best thing you can do to build size to your arms. That may be so, but you have to realize that you, and your body is different. Find what YOU like, and hit it hard.

Vegas said:
I honestly don't think there is a difference. You lift the weight, the muscle grows. Period.
Well put. Don't miss an arm workout and they will grow.

There is no such thing as making up a workout.

Consistency is the magic potion people are constantly looking for. Just talking from experience.....good luck!

gator

Back