• ARE Bad for you

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • ARE NOT good for you, but they WONT hurt you

Votes: 60 20.4%
  • ARE bad for you, but not THAT bad for you

Votes: 108 36.7%

• Total voters
carolinacrackah said:
Not only are steroids good for you they should make a breakfast cereal out of it...
There are so many things we do on a daily basis that are detrimental to our health and Im sure half of it we dont even know about. I would never be so presumptuous as to say Steroids have no significant neg sides and I dont believe anyone truely educated about the subject would say so. However in my opinion my current use of the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) positives outweigh the negatives.

Maybe you should hold back on making any decisions for a while. New information is coming across more often these days. This study was recently done and reported this month. in fact just one week ago by the British journal of medicine. http://heart.healthcentersonline.co...velsharmful.cfm

Anabolic steroids raise levels of harmful protein

Aug 14 (Reuters Health) - A new study provides more evidence that long-term use of anabolic steroids can cause heart and blood vessel disease, and may even boost the risk of sudden death.
UK researchers found that bodybuilders who used the muscle-building steroids had increased levels of homocysteine, a protein tied to increased mortality, heart disease risk and blood vessel damage, compared with bodybuilders who didn't use the performance-enhancing drugs.

Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

"The findings of this study suggest that anabolic-androgenic steroids are detrimental to cardiovascular health and appear to be implicated in cardiovascular mortality in long-term anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse," Dr. Michael R. Graham of the University Glamorgan in Pontypridd, Wales and colleagues conclude.

There have been reports suggesting that steroid users face an increased risk of sudden death as well as acute clotting-related health problems such as stroke and heart attack, Graham and his team note.

To determine whether steroid users might have increased homocysteine levels, which could contribute to the risk of heart and blood vessel problems, the researchers measured levels of homocysteine and several other substances in the blood in bodybuilders who had been using steroids for more than 20 years.

They were compared to steroid-using bodybuilders who had abstained from the drugs for three months, bodybuilders who had never used steroids, and sedentary, non-steroid-using men.

Current and past steroid users had higher homocysteine levels than other study participants, as well as "dramatically elevated" levels of hematocrit.

As mentioned, three of the steroid-using bodybuilders died during the study period and all of them had significantly higher levels of homocysteine than the average for the steroid-using group.

Sudden death and acute clotting events "may represent under-appreciated risks" of anabolic steroid use, the team warns.

SOURCE: British Journal of Sports Medicine, July 2006.
Publish Date: August 14, 2006

Jimmykick said:
Maybe you should hold back on making any decisions for a while. New information is coming across more often these days. This study was recently done and reported this month. in fact just one week ago by the

Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

As mentioned, three of the steroid-using bodybuilders died during the study period and all of them had significantly higher levels of homocysteine than the average for the steroid-using group.

So they just up and died right in the middle of the study? And coincidentally they all three were steroid users. Where they the only ones that died during the study? WHere there 3 or 6 or 10 other people that died during the study that were non users?
All i can say is Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) have been around for a long long time and a whole lot of people have used them. A whole lot of people have used them and not died...and a few have. Usually what you see is heart complications later in life with Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) users, however, you see that quite often among non users so Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) cannot be branded the culprit.
As far as whatever leading or latest study that comes about? Well there is allways some doctor in some lab conducting some test trying to proof his hypothesis that coffee will kill you. But you know what? A whole lot of people drink coffee anyway and go on to live long healthy lives and will keep on doing it to.

whatever Bro. just trying to help.
for the record there are not many doctors that I am aware of doing tests on humans for steroid usage and implications on the heart. This is a big deal.

Bodybuilders who used steroids had increased levels of homocysteine, a protein tied to increased mortality, heart disease risk and blood vessel damage, compared with bodybuilders who didn't use the performance-enhancing drugs. Three steroid users died suddenly during the course of the study, and all had homocysteine levels that were higher than the average for steroid-using study participants.

Just wanted to share with you this study. It caught my attention and I find it quite alarming. If you choose to blow it off that's your call. Again, just wanted to share.

tman55 said:
I think the answer is more like yes they are bad for us, they have many negative side effects, long term side effects that will probably take some years off our lives, but we are willing to make that sacrifice because we love the positive things they do for us and they are addictive and many of us have trouble quitting for good once we stop a cycle because we love the way they make us look and feel.

this is one of the best posts made in this thread! this is a lot of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) users right here. we know it's bad, we know what can happen, but we all keep going because it makes you feel AMAZING about yourself and makes you look amazing. the drug does so many good things to physical appearance and a lot of us know what could be happening inside our bodies but don't care because of how good we look and feel while we are taking them! and that's is the truth right there!

People need to realise every single substance is a poison at a certain amount. That amount will depend on a persons susceptiblity ad the nature of the substance.

In my opinion, from a medical point of view you have to take into consideration does the benefits outway the risk associated with taking the cource of therapy. Each person is different, as is there geneic make up and any underlining issues that might attribute to a side effect profile.

I just read this whole thread, not one intelligent point about why steroids will not cause long term health problems. The three main problems with gear

Increased BP
Fucked up cholesterol
People walking around 100 lbs heavier than they would be without drug use.

Take these things into consideration and you are going to have a shorter life span. People on this thread are not talking about Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), or being under a doctors care.

so the results of a medical study conducted by the British Journal of Medicine just a month or so ago concerning the use of steroids raising proteins to dangerous levels is not intelligent?

Great thread.

I'm in the it's bad for you, but not that bad for you camp.
Again, there are so many variables here plus the fact that anyone can pull one study to prove whatever he wants. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) are powerful drugs with serious side effects, but history has shown that moderate, careful use is relatively safe. Oxandralone is prescribed for people with HIV wasting disease, alcoholic hepatitis, and children with Turner's syndrome for crying out loud! Should you run it every day for a year? No. Again, aspirin will kill you if you run it at 1000 grams every day for 10 years.. or at least you'll be coughing up the insides of what's left of your ulcerated, pulverized stomach.

Also, remember there is a war on steroids. Do you think the world's elite who finance and publish some of these so-called "independent" studies want to help you? That they are actually looking out for your welfare by banning steroids? There's a nice piece of swampland I'd like to sell you..

Homocysteine is also largely influenced by diet. Any John Doe can get high homocysteine levels by eating McDicks everyday. These British bodybuilders..maybe they gave up the fruits and veggies for 10 years? Packed up on Fish N Chips? Maybe some smoked in those stinky pubs and did God knows what? No friggin' data controls. These type of "research" studies are not scientific and are pure horse muck, IMHO.

Responding to the previous poster, here are some othere scientific research articles showing that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) has no significant effects on the cardiovascular system, especially if wash out periods (off cycle) are increased.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_148t

Believe what you want.. They are drugs. Drugs are a double edged sword, but moderate, intelligent use will mitigate the negatives and accentuate the positives.. again, IMHO.

Sultan said:
Great thread.

I'm in the it's bad for you, but not that bad for you camp.
Again, there are so many variables here plus the fact that anyone can pull one study to prove whatever he wants. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) are powerful drugs with serious side effects, but history has shown that moderate, careful use is relatively safe. Oxandralone is prescribed for people with HIV wasting disease, alcoholic hepatitis, and children with Turner's syndrome for crying out loud! Should you run it every day for a year? No. Again, aspirin will kill you if you run it at 1000 grams every day for 10 years.. or at least you'll be coughing up the insides of what's left of your ulcerated, pulverized stomach.

Also, remember there is a war on steroids. Do you think the world's elite who finance and publish some of these so-called "independent" studies want to help you? That they are actually looking out for your welfare by banning steroids? There's a nice piece of swampland I'd like to sell you..

Homocysteine is also largely influenced by diet. Any John Doe can get high homocysteine levels by eating McDicks everyday. These British bodybuilders..maybe they gave up the fruits and veggies for 10 years? Packed up on Fish N Chips? Maybe some smoked in those stinky pubs and did God knows what? No friggin' data controls. These type of "research" studies are not scientific and are pure horse muck, IMHO.

Responding to the previous poster, here are some othere scientific research articles showing that Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) has no significant effects on the cardiovascular system, especially if wash out periods (off cycle) are increased.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_148t

Believe what you want.. They are drugs. Drugs are a double edged sword, but moderate, intelligent use will mitigate the negatives and accentuate the positives.. again, IMHO.

Sultan
Welcome to the board!
Great post! Thanks. I will scour that site now. Obviously I use steroids but I want to know that we are all safe. Some will always do too much and abuse. The thing that rang clear to me in that article and confirmed what I have always said was "moderation" is the key.

Thanks.
Yea, the pursuit of virility, strength and aesthetic bodyshape is quite addictive. Fortunately, I decided not to use gear until I was past 35 after having maxed out naturally, and now only do moderate cycles making sure diet is clean as and well researched supplements are used to alleviate sides.

I started working out at 16. My Dad is a retired GP. I remember one of those great father-son coversations.. about my new motivated pursuit.. "learn to breathe properly or you'll develop LV hypertrophy".. I remember asking, "WTF?" or something like that.. then he proceded to explain that weightlifters, bodybuilders can develop this condition due to chronic pressure build-ups in the abdomen during heavy lifting.. it was documented in most athletes, but especially weightlifters. Now seeing as my gym coach was 85 years old, having competed in P/L, Wrestling, Olympic W/L, Bodybuilding and Running.. and was still parachuting out of airplanes, punching 60 year old kids in the face in the boxing ring, and doing Ironman Triathalons, I figured, Hell, I think I'll take my chances with this exercise induced hypertrophy.

Then of course everyone gets down on Arnie after his heart surgery.. saying that the Dbol caused his problems. Yet, as usual, no one looks behind the rumor mill (or Fox news for that matter :) and reads the fact that Arnie was actually born with a heart condition called bicuspid aortic valve. He always knew it had to be replaced eventually.. just that his time was up, plus in the late 90s had more money than God to get it done by the best in the world.

Btw: My Dad, retired age 75 is on HRT!! Pure Pharmaceutical Test E and HGH (Lilly). He is better to be around now than when he was in his 50s with low Test and all that damn Estrogen floating around.

Jimmykick said:
Sultan
Welcome to the board!
Great post! Thanks. I will scour that site now. Obviously I use steroids but I want to know that we are all safe. Some will always do too much and abuse. The thing that rang clear to me in that article and confirmed what I have always said was "moderation" is the key.

of course its bad for you ,studys has shown that even very small doses of Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) damages the immunesystem and there is no "correct" or "safe" way to use steroids only less dangerous but that doesent mean that its safe

Just think we(healthy individuals)are using drugs that are used to treat medical conditions and we are overdosing these drugs how can that be safe?
And its a little bit contradictive but Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) are used sometimes for osterioposis but if a nomal healthy person uses Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) he can get osterioposis but one of the worste sides is the lipidprofile ,many builders have had seriuos problems with the heart well didnt arnold have it?

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that this article is still around but when I wrote about my case it was 3-2005 and I did'nt even realize I had cancer. So what caused it ? My being on HGH for 3.9 years(by my endocrinologist) or the Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) that I did. I tried to do human grade steroids when I did them. I was diagnosed with pituitary tumor in 86 and in 90 some problems occured that the Drs. soon smoothed out. I found out on May 15th,2005 that I had cancer and my endo called me the next day and said stop the HGH,it causes tumors to grow. My kidney had a tumor on it 4" X 5" and it was 9cc thick which is about 3½ ". It was malignont. On June 28th I had my kidney removed as they could not do anything with the tumor. I still do Test En as part of my requirements but that's it. I never had any back pains either,no real signs of it. I was back in the gym 6 weeks later. I can't do steroids anymore. I just put this down in case someone is considering it and needs to be talked out. I have nothing against what I did or the choices I made.

I think a BIG part of the deciding factor aside from all the other variables is what compunds used. I see people on the boards running cycles with lots of tren, winstrol, anadrol, and other harsh compounds. I thi nk this is a lot more dangerous then a moderate dosage of test/eq or test/deca, test/var. I think harsh compunds shouldnt even be considered by a recreational user because they have no need for them. Other than that, I belive getting your blood work done will give you a good idea where your health is.

Also, It seems like a lot off BBers have messed themeslves up on diuetic abuse getting ready for a comp.

another good point from jcp which i didnt originally think of was carrying around more weight then your body was designed for. Definately rough on your organs

Jimmykick said:
so the results of a medical study conducted by the British Journal of Medicine just a month or so ago concerning the use of steroids raising proteins to dangerous levels is not intelligent?

Your going the other way.

jcp2 said:
I just read this whole thread, not one intelligent point about why steroids will not cause long term health problems. The three main problems with gear

Increased BP
Fucked up cholesterol
People walking around 100 lbs heavier than they would be without drug use.

Take these things into consideration and you are going to have a shorter life span. People on this thread are not talking about Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), or being under a doctors care.
I get your point...however I believe there was some useful info in this thread as well. BP and cholesterol can be monitored easily and usually controlled without much difficulty. As far as increased weight, this is generally true no matter if you work out or not. I don't think even pros are 100lbs heavier than they would be if they trained naturally. Do you really think Ronnie would weigh less than 200lbs natural?

i say bullshit, DocJ but look at all these cycles being posted. A bunch of ameateur gear users are using tren, winstrol, d-bol, anadrol, drugs that no matter what will most likely fuck your cholesterol and blood pressure and among other things depending on which one of those above mentioned drugs we're talking about. So yeah, maybe they are controlable but like I said, look at these cycles ameteur gear users are doing NOT GOOD for long term health.

Well I partially agree with you skarhead1...if someone's using orals frequently their chances of long term harm go WAY up. I will concede the majority of people on this board are setting themselves up for long term problems by not taking preventative measures (blood tests, controlling cholesterol, BP) but my point is, if you know what the hell you're doing, one can do this thing we do quite safely.

Last edited:
Back