Who here still does standing military presses?

minitor2

i havent done them in like 7 years and last night i decided to do them and holy christ they killed my shoulders and upper chest it was amazing. by far one of the best exercises ever i only got up to 225lbs but man did i work everything.

minitor2

i need too really start too work shoulders again i could get too the 100 pound dumbells if i started again.

yea i do them every so often. i get a wicked pump off of it as well. i dont like doing them heavey though just cause it puts alot of stress on my back, i can do 225 on the seated and i stick to 175 on the standing and push for more reps. works well in my case!

why does it make a difference wether or not you do them standing or sitting??? I hate standing, because it puts way too much pressure on my lower back. I just like to sit....but I make sure my back doesn't touch the back pad of the chair/bench.

is that ok?

I use both, barbell and dumbells standing and sitting on the edge of a flat bench.. every week for shoulders. This excercise is done first because it hurts the most! LOL

TechChemY said:
why does it make a difference wether or not you do them standing or sitting??? I hate standing, because it puts way too much pressure on my lower back. I just like to sit....but I make sure my back doesn't touch the back pad of the chair/bench.

is that ok?

Sure its ok, i find tha it's harder standing tho, But either way gets the job done!

Its what is comfortable for you

You do standing dumbell presses, its damn near a cardio workout. If you can do say 100s seated, try to get the same amount of reps standing and see how winded you are. You can self spot, and cheat a bit, and use legs to explode up, but you will be fried. Its like leg presses compared to squats, sure leg presses isolate the legs, but squats give you a whole body workout, just like seated to standing presses do.

I know i can do alot more weight on seated then i can standing. I like doing clean and jerk. I get a good cardio work out with it.

Back