Women's Weight training

Smilee21

Exotic is Erotic...
Hello my fellow ology members...

I always see what the male members workout routines look like but I wanted to know about the female members.

Can you please list the body part and exercises you do throughout the week?

How much cardio do you perform and on what days?

Do you do fitness comps or any fitness modeling?

Here's my current split:
Monday mid-morning: Back & Bi's
Monday evening: teach a plyopmetric style cardio class (and participate 45mins)

Tues mid-morning: Shoulders & Tri's
Tues evening: teach plyo class and participate

Wed-mid morning: Legs
Wed evening: teach plyo class and participate

Thurs: lifting day off
Thurs evening: teach plyo class and participate

Friday afternoon: chest

Sat afternoon: Glutes, claves, and abs

Sun: lifting day off unless I have to make up cause kiddos were sick or whatever. I'll usually do hiit cardio this day.

My lifting schedule is planned for me because of my oldest's preschool. It's easier to take just one to the gym. The gym where i lift is a personal training facility only owned by my parents. My husband is a trainer there. I do plan my workouts around training client's schedules as well as preschool. I try not to bring her while there are clients. She's very good, and hangs out in our office, but I still feel it unprofessional to have her there with many paying clients on the floor. So, my schedule is flexible and yields to several factors.
I get bored easily and change up my workouts about every 6-8 weeks or so. My husband plans my workouts for me. I like to not think about it, just follow what's written.
No clients are there late Friday/Sat afternoons or on Sundays, so we have the place to ourselves. We turn up the music and I plan my Fri/Sat lifts for bodyparts I'll want a spot on since I can have my hubby all to myself there :)
Part of me being so heavy was doubly embarassing cause my husband is HOT and has never let himself go, plus my parents own the freakin' gym. It was awful being this amazing trainer's fat wife...lol! Glad that's over.

I will say that when I started teaching and participating in my class, I had to up the cals. Doing two intense workouts a day was seriously starting to kick my tail.

Last edited:
I used to have split routines, and they wouldn't differ from a man's schedule. I trained to compete in figure. When I switched to fitness, I had to learn gymnastics and at 30 trust me it's hard lol! I had the mentality that I'm strong because I could squat around 220lbs for reps and deadlift more (I do have thick legs!) My back was silly strong and could do all sorts of back exercises and all sorts of pull up variations. I got a shock when I started learning gymnastics because lifting weights and controlling your body weight are very different, let a lone being flexible and strong in these flexible positions. Split routines often aren't functional and if you think about it, any everyday movement isn't as isolating as weight training. So I only now use weight training to give my physique balance. I no longer train arms because my biceps and triceps are ample, I just need to do shoulders to bring them out. My legs I hardly do, but calves for me are a must (curse my black genes - lol!) Core training is a must for gymnastics, I don't do crunches or sit ups, I try to make all my training tie in my whole body. But when competing for fitness I was doing cardio 6 days a week, weights 4 days a week and routine practice 3 - 6 days per week as well as gymnastics lessons 2 times per week, all alongside dieting. My cardio was only 20mins though because the routine had lots of leaps in it which uses a lot of energy and sticking to my diet whittled me down.

I did do fitness modelling too. Usually near my competition dates. Being near contest shape makes it easier. But now I certainly am softer because I had a baby 6 months ago and eat what I damn well please :), been sticking with yoga and light gymnastics when my son is asleep. I dance too. But when he's older and can spare the energy, I'll be doing weights to bring up strength in my back, calves and legs. Most likely olympic lifts for more explosive power. For me it's all about core. If my core is strong, the rest of it just ties in ;)

Here's my current split:
Monday mid-morning: Back & Bi's
Monday evening: teach a plyopmetric style cardio class (and participate 45mins)

Tues mid-morning: Shoulders & Tri's
Tues evening: teach plyo class and participate

Wed-mid morning: Legs
Wed evening: teach plyo class and participate

Thurs: lifting day off
Thurs evening: teach plyo class and participate

Friday afternoon: chest

Sat afternoon: Glutes, claves, and abs

Sun: lifting day off unless I have to make up cause kiddos were sick or whatever. I'll usually do hiit cardio this day.

My lifting schedule is planned for me because of my oldest's preschool. It's easier to take just one to the gym. The gym where i lift is a personal training facility only owned by my parents. My husband is a trainer there. I do plan my workouts around training client's schedules as well as preschool. I try not to bring her while there are clients. She's very good, and hangs out in our office, but I still feel it unprofessional to have her there with many paying clients on the floor. So, my schedule is flexible and yields to several factors.
I get bored easily and change up my workouts about every 6-8 weeks or so. My husband plans my workouts for me. I like to not think about it, just follow what's written.
No clients are there late Friday/Sat afternoons or on Sundays, so we have the place to ourselves. We turn up the music and I plan my Fri/Sat lifts for bodyparts I'll want a spot on since I can have my hubby all to myself there :)
Part of me being so heavy was doubly embarassing cause my husband is HOT and has never let himself go, plus my parents own the freakin' gym. It was awful being this amazing trainer's fat wife...lol! Glad that's over.

I will say that when I started teaching and participating in my class, I had to up the cals. Doing two intense workouts a day was seriously starting to kick my tail.

That's sounds like an awesome workout plan; we all have our fat moments in our life. I used to teach the water aerobics classes and participated in them. I love teaching and motivating others. I will do it again one day (spin, HIIT, and water aerobics) ;)

I used to have split routines, and they wouldn't differ from a man's schedule. I trained to compete in figure. When I switched to fitness, I had to learn gymnastics and at 30 trust me it's hard lol! I had the mentality that I'm strong because I could squat around 220lbs for reps and deadlift more (I do have thick legs!) My back was silly strong and could do all sorts of back exercises and all sorts of pull up variations. I got a shock when I started learning gymnastics because lifting weights and controlling your body weight are very different, let a lone being flexible and strong in these flexible positions. Split routines often aren't functional and if you think about it, any everyday movement isn't as isolating as weight training. So I only now use weight training to give my physique balance. I no longer train arms because my biceps and triceps are ample, I just need to do shoulders to bring them out. My legs I hardly do, but calves for me are a must (curse my black genes - lol!) Core training is a must for gymnastics, I don't do crunches or sit ups, I try to make all my training tie in my whole body. But when competing for fitness I was doing cardio 6 days a week, weights 4 days a week and routine practice 3 - 6 days per week as well as gymnastics lessons 2 times per week, all alongside dieting. My cardio was only 20mins though because the routine had lots of leaps in it which uses a lot of energy and sticking to my diet whittled me down.

I did do fitness modelling too. Usually near my competition dates. Being near contest shape makes it easier. But now I certainly am softer because I had a baby 6 months ago and eat what I damn well please :), been sticking with yoga and light gymnastics when my son is asleep. I dance too. But when he's older and can spare the energy, I'll be doing weights to bring up strength in my back, calves and legs. Most likely olympic lifts for more explosive power. For me it's all about core. If my core is strong, the rest of it just ties in ;)

When I was younger I dreamt of being a fitness comp. (I'm filopino, Japanese, Irish, Scottish) and I am not petite by any means not coordinated enough to do gymnastics. So I never thought I could ever compete bc I didn't think I had the right body type (silly huh) I have always been very athletic but throughout the years had some major ups and downs that would easily veere off my path. I have been a care giver to sick family members since I was 14 yrs old (a lot of stress) but I did what needed to be done to help take care of my family. I detach emotionally very easily when I am stressed. It's my coping mechanism built inside me. It's taken years to handled stress in other ways.

It feels good to finally feel like me again. I am thinking of getting back into kick boxing and learning mix martial arts with my son in a few years

I envy your gymnastic/dance ability! I'm so f'in uncoordinated. I do agree with balance and such being so different than strength. My hubby and I took the girls on a 10 mile hike. He carries one in a pack and I carry the other one. I was carrying our youngest (just shy of 3 at the time) when we came to a huge water crossing and had to get over it by log hopping. We had hiked from 7500 ft above sea level to 12000 ft above sea level and I was pretty damn tired. All I could think about was if we fell that I would go tumbling into the rushing freezing water below with my child strapped to my back and no way to get her out. All the balance shit I'd been working on, especially with the bosu ball really helped out at that moment!

D- 6months is such a fun age! Enjoy your kiddos and get back into the game when they are a bit older. Eat something yummy for me :p.

Lol, the coordination is just about practice and repitition. I always wanted to do gymnastics when I was a kid but my parents never bothered to take me. So I did it at 30, lord what was I thinking?!! So easy to learn as a kid, my daughter does it now. But to be honest, if you can understand where your body is when moving through space you have better control of it.

I did my first comp when my daughter had just turned 2. Was a fantastic achievement for me. She's now almost 6, and my son being 6 months hasn't stopped me from wanting to keep competing. But I'm happy to just train for it in small doses right now and eat what I want. I'm still breast feeding and nothing is worth comprimising that. I really believe that if you want something bad enough you'll go for it and maybe even achieve it. I always say you're a long time dead, meaning once you're gone, you're gone. Do the things you always wanted to (within reason obviously) but like my dream to do gymnastics, I do it now and every step further I make, especially starting as an adult and having to push through fears of breaking my head (lol) has made me happy to be alive.

Breast feeding was really important to me also. My problem was that once my youngest quit, I still ate like I was nursing....ahhhh!

I hope to compete in my 1st figure comp in Oct of this year. We shall see. Mainly, I just want something to train for. I've surpassed my original goals by 12lbs and now I need something to train for. I love being healthy, and my girls are all at an age that allows me to really focus and I'd love to hit the stage at 32 just to say, "damn, I did this!".

It's awesome you took up gymnastics at age 30!!!!!

Breast feeding was really important to me also. My problem was that once my youngest quit, I still ate like I was nursing....ahhhh!

I hope to compete in my 1st figure comp in Oct of this year. We shall see. Mainly, I just want something to train for. I've surpassed my original goals by 12lbs and now I need something to train for. I love being healthy, and my girls are all at an age that allows me to really focus and I'd love to hit the stage at 32 just to say, "damn, I did this!".

It's awesome you took up gymnastics at age 30!!!!!

I loved Breastfeeding it was the best thing I could ever give my child, it really brought me closer to him.

How long will it roughly take you to prepare for a Fitness Comp? I would love to do one also one day once I reach my Goal weight/BF%...

I wanted to Start racing again by the time I was 32yrs old (2 months 4 days away)...I am happy that I am.

I loved Breastfeeding it was the best thing I could ever give my child, it really brought me closer to him.

How long will it roughly take you to prepare for a Fitness Comp? I would love to do one also one day once I reach my Goal weight/BF%...

I wanted to Start racing again by the time I was 32yrs old (2 months 4 days away)...I am happy that I am.

Hmm, how long? Comp is 8 months away and I would love to develop my upper body and bit more and lean down my legs. I'm currently sitting at 20% bf and carry my fat around my legs and hips. Will spend till May trying to work on that and then re-evalute where I am and what needs work.

That's an awesome way to look at things Detour... I love how you think.

Thank yah ;)

In all honesty getting ready for a show does depend on where you start to begin with. So my first very show I was at 20% to start. I wanted to add muscle first so my training and diet was geared towards adding muscle, relatively easy for me. I spent the first 4 months focusing on that. Luckily I added next to no fat when doing that. My trainer asked me if I was taking anything (which I wasn't).

The cutting phase for me was around 8 weeks. I don't know my final body fat % when I was doing that but it was around 14% I would've liked to have been lower and needed a bit more time, funnily after my first show I got leaner and hit my goal after a couple of weeks. But after that, I kept myself relatively lean and getting show ready would be a matter of 8 - 12 weeks. I don't even use fat burners, just diet and cardio - I used to think fat burners were essential, but the power of marketing lol. I won't count my current state but I usually hover around 17% bodyfat and am happy with that. Having dark skin I look leaner than I am so I don't care too much, I'm more about how my body functions. My husband loves me in all my shapes and sizes and that makes a difference to me. I've never been over weight (except pregnancy - well I only gained about 7kg in my last pregnancy) but I have had different body shapes because of the muscle. So basically, it depends on how your body responds to diet and training. The lower you go the harder it gets to drop the fat and if you have a stubborn metabolism you may need longer. Some people take 20 weeks to cut. Some people need to do 2 -3 hrs of cardio a day, others don't do any. There is no set rule. The only constant is knowing your body and how/what it responds to. That's why there are so many diets, because they don't all work for everybody, we all have different genetic make up which determines all sorts of things like type 1&2 muscle fibres, to your body shape, where your body stores body fat and where it prefers to build muscle. The figure comps are about how the body looks, but fitness has the routine aspect too and anaerobic capacity which not everyone has (routine lasts about 1.5 - 2mins) if you're not built for anaerobic activity the fitness comp will be hard to do.

Smilee, I misunderstood your question about fitness comp. (that was toward detour). I personally would love to do figure. Even if I wanted to do fitness, the drive for gymnastics or training for that specifically is too far away for me to wish to travel. We live in a very rural area. 1 1/2 hours to the closest wal mart, costco, gymnastic place, fast food place, (not that we eat fast food, just an illustration) etc. We plan grocery shopping like you wouldn't believe! Anyway, we're lucky to have our little gym here :). Our county and the three touching counties have no stoplights and put a ban on any drive thru establishment. It's nice really.

The figure comp I'm wanting to do is about 3 hours drive away (not bad), but still a super small venue. I guess it's a good place to start. My ass hasn't been in a two piecd bathing suit in years and years!

Smilee, I misunderstood your question about fitness comp. (that was toward detour). I personally would love to do figure. Even if I wanted to do fitness, the drive for gymnastics or training for that specifically is too far away for me to wish to travel. We live in a very rural area. 1 1/2 hours to the closest wal mart, costco, gymnastic place, fast food place, (not that we eat fast food, just an illustration) etc. We plan grocery shopping like you wouldn't believe! Anyway, we're lucky to have our little gym here :). Our county and the three touching counties have no stoplights and put a ban on any drive thru establishment. It's nice really.

The figure comp I'm wanting to do is about 3 hours drive away (not bad), but still a super small venue. I guess it's a good place to start. My ass hasn't been in a two piecd bathing suit in years and years!

It must be really peaceful where you live... I would love to live somewhere surrounded by woods. I am a nature girl, always have been, I feel more at home up in the moutains than I do in the City.

Why haven't you been in a 2 piece bathing suit in years? Even with me being the current size I am, I still rather wear a 2 piece bathing suit than a one piece. I figure if they don't like what they see then they don't have to look at me. LOL...
I have a full back piece... (tattoo's are my thing) and figure ppl will be drawn to my back piece and not my flaws... :)

I only wear 1 pieces when I am Training/swimming 2 hours in a lap pool. I don't like my bikini top falling off as I am trying to do my flip turns

It must be really peaceful where you live... I would love to live somewhere surrounded by woods. I am a nature girl, always have been, I feel more at home up in the moutains than I do in the City.

Why haven't you been in a 2 piece bathing suit in years? Even with me being the current size I am, I still rather wear a 2 piece bathing suit than a one piece. I figure if they don't like what they see then they don't have to look at me. LOL...
I have a full back piece... (tattoo's are my thing) and figure ppl will be drawn to my back piece and not my flaws... :)

I only wear 1 pieces when I am Training/swimming 2 hours in a lap pool. I don't like my bikini top falling off as I am trying to do my flip turns

I got a full ride to college for my 100 yard butterfly :). Love the water! BUT where we live it's winter 9 months of the year. I live at 6000ft above sea level, so lots of snow. Last year we hit 80 less than 5 days. Just not a lot of swim suit weather, so no bathing suit one or two piece!

I lived in much warmer weather until we relocated here 3 years ago. I love the snow tho. We always have a white Christmas!

I got a full ride to college for my 100 yard butterfly :). Love the water! BUT where we live it's winter 9 months of the year. I live at 6000ft above sea level, so lots of snow. Last year we hit 80 less than 5 days. Just not a lot of swim suit weather, so no bathing suit one or two piece!

I lived in much warmer weather until we relocated here 3 years ago. I love the snow tho. We always have a white Christmas!

I've never seen snow, definitely in my bucket list, we're planning on taking winter vacation this year, I can't wait.
"I would love to experience a white christmas for sure"

We only get a few days of cold weather a year here (for us cold is like 50 degrees) lol
I love the ocean & can't imagine not been able to enjoy it like I do now.
We take the kids to the beach almost every weekend.
& it's nice to be tanned all year round too :)

I've never seen snow, definitely in my bucket list, we're planning on taking winter vacation this year, I can't wait.
"I would love to experience a white christmas for sure"

We only get a few days of cold weather a year here (for us cold is like 50 degrees) lol
I love the ocean & can't imagine not been able to enjoy it like I do now.
We take the kids to the beach almost every weekend.
& it's nice to be tanned all year round too :)

The girls are dying to go to the beach! One heck of a plane ride and we're saving up to do it. Yay for 5 round trip plane tickets (not).

I love the snow, but it does get a bit old sometimes. Last year it was snowing in June. In 2010, it came a blizzard on Friday, August 13th. That year, we had our last fire of the "season" in July and our first that August 13th...lol! It snowed a bit on our 4th of July parade that year.

We have a Christmas Stroll every year where they close the streets off the entire town and all the store owners have fire bins and roast smores on the street. One of the bars serves peppermint shnapps and hot chocoloate on the street and the only "traffic" allowed is a horse drawn carriage that gives free rides up and down all evening. He dresses the draft horses in lights and sleigh bells. It's such a cool experience and makes you feel like you stepped way far back in time.

Still, once christmas is over, I get antsy for warmer weather and it could be 6 months before we see it.

The girls are dying to go to the beach! One heck of a plane ride and we're saving up to do it. Yay for 5 round trip plane tickets (not).

I love the snow, but it does get a bit old sometimes. Last year it was snowing in June. In 2010, it came a blizzard on Friday, August 13th. That year, we had our last fire of the "season" in July and our first that August 13th...lol! It snowed a bit on our 4th of July parade that year.

We have a Christmas Stroll every year where they close the streets off the entire town and all the store owners have fire bins and roast smores on the street. One of the bars serves peppermint shnapps and hot chocoloate on the street and the only "traffic" allowed is a horse drawn carriage that gives free rides up and down all evening. He dresses the draft horses in lights and sleigh bells. It's such a cool experience and makes you feel like you stepped way far back in time.

Still, once christmas is over, I get antsy for warmer weather and it could be 6 months before we see it.

Wow ! That sounds amazing, we would totally love to experience something like that.

Difinitely nothing like that happens living in a city :( We have a fire pit that we built in our backyard & we roast smores & tell stories & pretend is "snowing" lol

There are places that do the "fake snow" thing in x-mas, & the girls go nuts...

I think u should save up for the trip, there's nothing like seeing the ocean for the frst time, I think your girls would love it. :)

p.s (maybe we should trade homes this winter ;) ) lol

Last edited:
Back