Affliction: July 19, 2008

Eze

AFFLICTION: JULY 19, 2008
venue: The Honda Center in Anaheim, California

Bouts Scheduled to Air on Pay-Per-View:
-Fedor Emelianenko (#1 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Tim Sylvia (#5 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Josh Barnett (#4 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Pedro Rizzo
-Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Negao
-Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead
-Ben Rothwell vs. Andre Arlovski

Bouts Scheduled to Air on Fox Sports Net:
-Aleksander Emelianenko (#10 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Paul Buentello
-Trenell "Savant" Young vs. Mark Hominick

Preliminary Bouts:
-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Vernon "Tiger" White
-Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin
-Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama
-Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper
-J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

Right now it is reported that Sylvia is going to make $800,000 and Fedor over $1 million for this fight.

If the rest of the card has nice pay days as well, watch how fast guys from the UFC turn over.

Obvisouly they all won't make $800,000 +, but I bet none of them are going to get paid $4,000 like Dana White doesn't do the new guys in the UFC

It will be interesting.. at first, there was no way they could afford to keep paying fighters like that but now w/Trump's backing, Dana may need to pony up! :) My feeling is that UFC pay will be increased to some extent before losing "key" fighters... but I'm sure many will still flee to affliction once their contract is up. I love the UFC/WEC and what it's done for MMA but competition and more (class act/professional) organizations is what we need.
The card is definetly stacked. Might be too stacked, it's going to be hard to continually follow up with that card as a marker.

It will be interesting.. at first, there was no way they could afford to keep paying fighters like that but now w/Trump's backing, Dana may need to pony up! :) My feeling is that UFC pay will be increased to some extent before losing "key" fighters... but I'm sure many will still flee to affliction once their contract is up. I love the UFC/WEC and what it's done for MMA but competition and more (class act/professional) organizations is what we need.
The card is definetly stacked. Might be too stacked, it's going to be hard to continually follow up with that card as a marker.

Agree on all counts. This card seems to be geared towards showcasing their heavyweight division. If their next few cards are focused on one or two divisions each, by the time next year rolls around the divisions will be well established.

Awesome card. Dana kills me with the money he makes paying undercard guys under 10,000 grand. If Trump spends a good amount of money George Steinbrenner style at first, this could be the first real threat to the UFC.

While I'm here my predictions are:

Fedor- duh, by armbar, duh
Barnett- by submission
Lindland- TKO
Babalu- Decision
Arlovski- TKO, if it's the old Arlovski, reports say when he started living in America he went absolutely nuts and went out every night and showed up to train late in the day and stayed for like a hour. The 2000 version of Ricco Rodriguez.

Aleksander Emelianenko TKO over Paul "Couple of wins over bums in the UFC" Buentello
Trenell "Savant" Young decision win over Mark Hominick

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Submission over Vernon "Old Man" White
-Vitor Belfort vs. Terry Martin total toss up for me but I'm gonna go with Martin by decision
-Justin Levens vs. Ray Lazama noty familiar with Lazama
-Mike Pyle vs. Brett Cooper I don't know Brett Cooper but I think Mike Pyle is a bum
-J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight Not familiar with either fighter.

Extremely interesting fight card..
Fedor alone draws huge attention to this event. It will be interesting to see Vitor back as well, though I think he is far past his prime.
I'm surprised to see Vernon White's name up there too...He will get owned. I still recall when Chuck sent him flat on his face back when the UFC looked a little too similar to the WWF.

silvia was one of the least entertaining guys in the ufc and he is headlining what some people seem to think is the greatest card of the year? why? because jungle fighter fedor is fighting? it looks like a bunch ufc rejects. they would be better served finding a television station to play it for free and work out a deal on the commercial revenue. i like the concept of fighters getting paid better but i dont care enough to pretend that this weak card is so wonderful and a threat to the UFC.

silvia was one of the least entertaining guys in the ufc and he is headlining what some people seem to think is the greatest card of the year? why? because jungle fighter fedor is fighting? it looks like a bunch ufc rejects. they would be better served finding a television station to play it for free and work out a deal on the commercial revenue. i like the concept of fighters getting paid better but i dont care enough to pretend that this weak card is so wonderful and a threat to the UFC.

I bet you don't know who half the fighters on this card are.

I bet you don't know who half the fighters on this card are.

is that my problem or affliction's problem?

im not sure if i know half or not, i remember some names of guys who used to be in the ufc but could never make it on a ufc ppv event's fight card anymore.

is that my problem or affliction's problem?

im not sure if i know half or not, i remember some names of guys who used to be in the ufc but could never make it on a ufc ppv event's fight card anymore.

You're right, UFC is god. All hail UFC. All other fight promotions are pointless. All non-ufc fighters shoud be executed. Anyone's dick you suck that's not Dana White is just a pointless blowjob. Order every UFC card that ever comes out even if 4 of the top 10 heavyweights are fighting on a single card for another promotion.

You're right, UFC is god. All hail UFC. All other fight promotions are pointless. All non-ufc fighters shoud be executed. Anyone's dick you suck that's not Dana White is just a pointless blowjob. Order every UFC card that ever comes out even if 4 of the top 10 heavyweights are fighting on a single card for another promotion.

people shouldnt pay to see tim sylvia fight and affliction has him at the top of the card. enjoy the shitty entertainment.

i have no loyalty to any organization. i only care about my entertainment. like it or not, the ufc has the best fighters. putting together a bunch of ufc rejects isnt going to make a better card than a ufc fight card.

Last edited:
I personally like the idea of another MMA organization (or two, or three) successfully in the works.. it doesn't have to be UFC, it just needs to be professional, support the sport, and be different enough to draw folks for great entertainment. I think they did a pretty damn good job for their first card...IMHO

Wow, i didnt realize that that was the card. Every single fight mabye except for 1 are fighters that EVERYONE KNOWS about. Will def be getting this ppv. Hopefully vitor can bounce back and look sharp for his sake

I personally like the idea of another MMA organization (or two, or three) successfully in the works.. it doesn't have to be UFC, it just needs to be professional, support the sport, and be different enough to draw folks for great entertainment. I think they did a pretty damn good job for their first card...IMHO

i like the idea also. im just not going to pretend this fight card is something that it isnt. yeah, a lot of these guys names are familiar. however, in reality almost all of them wouldnt make it on a ufc ppv fight card. hopefully this is a starting point for better things to come. i do think that if the ufc puts together a decent free night on spike that the affliction event isnt going to do very well on ppv.

Back