arm growth.....................

Matt0071

I know its probably been posted many of times but things to do when arms seem to be lagging behind
Mine are sitting at just over 17" at 215lbs cold flexed, but seem to stop growing
Whats some routines to focos on for growth? Or take sometime off doing direct work to arms?

You gotta shock em Matt...im finding out. Push past when ur "done"...u got more. You may not think so. It doesnt take heavy weight at that point either. Pushpast brutha, push past the end. Get 3 more, then 5 more and so on. Break on thru that ceiling. This will cause more fiber recruitment, bringing growth.

your arms will be enabled to grow and put on size the more YOU put on bodyweight.. if you want to add an inch or two to your arms then you may need to add a good 30 pounds to your overall frame

Some synthol will work.....what roush said your arms are just right for your body frame size if you get bigger the arms will follow

Matt your arms are not bad at all. You seem to be symmetrical. IMOP :)

My arms have never been good except many years ago. I found that when I did plateau I would work them 3 or even 4 times a week. Not more than 2 days in a row. when I did this I had a light day with some higher reps and of course a very heavy day.

Last edited:
Feeder workouts have been working for me on days that I'm not doing arms directly. 3 really light sets of 100 after my workout

What do you do as in when how many set s x time s a week ?

Mine are not noteworthy but 9 set s 1 st movement as hard and heavy x 8-10 rep s then 6 more iso type for 10-15. WORKING set s. At my age I gotta warm up say chest as long as it takes to train...lol

Do heavy barbell curls as heavy as you can and still get 5-8 reps. Also lots of hammer curls and reverse curls, that's the easiest way to put an inch on your arms quick.

Don't forget that triceps are 2/3 of your arm size. They are as much or more so important as biceps.
I've been told by several trainers to work the weakest part of the rep more than the strongest part, even if less weight is used

Don't forget that triceps are 2/3 of your arm size. They are as much or more so important as biceps.
I've been told by several trainers to work the weakest part of the rep more than the strongest part, even if less weight is used

THIS IS THE best post yet (slapping myself)...to try to throw up a big gun bemoaning size w-o hitting the 3 headed tri vs the two headed bi is like ...silly.

I like reverse grip bench either heavy as I can say ( I hate numbers ) 225 x 8-12 for starters or as a wrap up when I m quivering from 6-8 other movements. ALSO I like 2 handed tri etx sitting backwards on a preacher curl station w a bench in front of me to keep from hauling the db off the floor and using 100 s or 120 s for 8-10 down to 80 s for 15 ish. Powerlifting is was my best fav way to train and ancil movement s were few but heavy. Heavy = growth if u feed the machine and rest it too.

Last edited:
Do heavy barbell curls as heavy as you can and still get 5-8 reps. Also lots of hammer curls and reverse curls, that's the easiest way to put an inch on your arms quick.

...beef up them oh so forgotten forearms....Mike Mentzers f arms...gasp...

I do mine 1 arm at a time using a db in the other hand to anchor myself and only the arm should move braking at the elbow.. If ur swinging or use delt lat s or torso twisting to get the hvy one s up ur sacrificing form and a tendon or liga s gonna haunt YOU when ur 52, too.

Couldn't disagree with this more if I'm honest, but it's an open-ended question anyway, because everyone responds differently to programming variation.

Drop sets, supersets, low recovery periods, textbook form with pinned elbows and squeezing the muscle contractions like you're ringing out a wet sponge work for me. Arms currently 19.5" and growing.

My current biceps workout is 40 sets in 25 mins - and man, they are growing like a weed.

Matt, from past experience, if what I am doing isn't working - I do something totally different - 9 times out of 10 the muscles will respond.

Last edited:
THIS IS THE best post yet (slapping myself)...to try to throw up a big gun bemoaning size w-o hitting the 3 headed tri vs the two headed bi is like ...silly.

I like reverse grip bench either heavy as I can say ( I hate numbers ) 225 x 8-12 for starters or as a wrap up when I m quivering from 6-8 other movements. ALSO I like 2 handed tri etx sitting backwards on a preacher curl station w a bench in front of me to keep from hauling the db off the floor and using 100 s or 120 s for 8-10 down to 80 s for 15 ish. Powerlifting is was my best fav way to train and ancil movement s were few but heavy. Heavy = growth if u feed the machine and rest it too.

LOL that's what I use for 2 handed dumbell extensions.... backwards on the preacher curls benches slight angle to keep from scraping the back of my head with the dumbell...also keeps tension on the triceps at the top

Used to love skull crushers with excurl bar but it gives me old elbows tendinitis pretty quick. And yes Mentzer forearms are legendary, right up there with platzs legs

Last edited:
Couldn't disagree with this more if I'm honest, but it's an open-ended question anyway, because everyone responds differently to programming variation.

Drop sets, supersets, low recovery periods, textbook form with pinned elbows and squeezing the muscle contractions like you're ringing out a wet sponge work for me. Arms currently 19.5" and growing.

My current biceps workout is 40 sets in 25 mins - and man, they are growing like a weed.

Matt, from past experience, if what I am doing isn't working - I do something totally different - 9 times out of 10 the muscles will respond.

nice. took you up on this suggestion today, ...well maybe not 40 sets, i cant lie, but damit i did alot, n it sure feels like ima get some new growth, lol. i was pumped for almost 2 hours after...

LOL that's what I use for 2 handed dumbell extensions.... backwards on the preacher curls benches slight angle to keep from scraping the back of my head with the dumbell...also keeps tension on the triceps at the top

Used to love skull crushers with excurl bar but it gives me old elbows tendinitis pretty quick. And yes Mentzer forearms are legendary, right up there with platzs legs

damn! if i didnt know any better your pic looks like something i could pour some bbq sauce on and go to town...big drummie!!;-)

Matt-
It s all in ur goal s and though sacriligous to say...I m in a stay as hard as possible at 202-212 mode. So I do what I can to stay here and go hard and fast. If I were trying to get bigger (ie heavier I d incorporate more calorie s more sets more gear.) I cannot. U can and should.

My body's been "through it " so we old soldiers do what we can with what we got and if you CANNOT surrender ( get soft) or attack ( get bigger harder faster ) you can at least hold the line. Or fall back in good order. (Age gracefully but not w o kiking and screaming---the gym)

Just need foods, fluids, ammo ( trt plus ) sleep when I m able , and --ck what I can.

BB said it Matt. U change up both during your climbing the mountain and refusing to give it up.

I enjoy younger folk s as my generations mostly bloated and floating away on a couch in the a c, dick or remote in hand. No way. I threw Frisbee for 40 w that one after DL s in 100 heat to sweat.

Last edited:
Hey T, whats up with these ladies that you keep posing up in your avi?? u snapping shots of girls at the gym, u old perv??? lol!!
I love it!!

She s my lifting partner for 4 weeks, 2 to go... u jealous dick. lol

Asked me to train her for bikini.OK Telling her best profile shot.

No false avi b/s for me.

Ever,

U wanna see my Dawg ?

Last edited:
Back