Not working out on your period?

sadgirl22

Hello ladies! I am trying to help a friend of mine with her diet and training, when asked me if it is true that you should not work out that much when you have your period. She said that a trainer at her gym told her this, and I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone? :confused:

I try not to let it interfere with my training, but if I'm cramping bad that first day I'll just make that my off day and go the next. Generally I find that working out through it after that first day actually helps me feel better. There's no reason that I know of to let it hold you back.

sadgirl22 said:
Hello ladies! I am trying to help a friend of mine with her diet and training, when asked me if it is true that you should not work out that much when you have your period. She said that a trainer at her gym told her this, and I have never heard of such a thing. Anyone? :confused:

I find exactly the opposite. Gives me an adrenaline rush which I find helps with the cramping. Also of note is that it does WONDERS for bloat.
I'm not saying I'm in a huge hurry to hit the gym on those days. But when I'm through I'm always feeling better.
Hope this helps. :)

I still train at that time of the month as well. if I have cramps, I find that training and doing a little cardio actually helps me.

On my second day, I'm usually a mess with really bad cramping et al. that I usually wait it out until the next day...

i never train on the first day.. I am always way to weak, in too much pain and my body needs the rest. Plus in the past when i have trained on say the 2nd day, it seems to almost halt my period.. i tend to get it light the next day and that it is... This only happens when i train on the 2nd day... weird i know :)

BUT as a trainer, IMO.. heavy lifting on your first day or your heavy period day is not in your best interest. Your body is in a weakened state and the recovery is not as good. If you MUST train on your heavy first day, try some light cardio or light weight lifting, but don't go for those heavy record breakers :)
Just my $.02

I learned in my Sports injuries class that the few days a females is on her period, she has an increased chance of tearing her ACL. Just a little FYI.

I think if you were training really heavy, you might have some problems but I've found going in and doing lighter weights doesn't affect me at all. I guess we're all different though.

Easto said:
I learned in my Sports injuries class that the few days a females is on her period, she has an increased chance of tearing her ACL. Just a little FYI.

For the abreviated impaired...what's the ACL? Thanks! :)

Easto said:

Interesting. I was not aware of that.

I have never missed the gym due to my "cotton pony ride" each month.

Supergirl...I take a week off each month(not cuz of my period tho) I just take a week off so I do not burn out. Anyhoo...During the the week I have my period and workout, it's a MUCH shorter cycle! IE: Three day cycle ONLY.. I'll have a five day cycle if I'm NOT working out that week during my cycle! There seems to be a correlation here too.

ACL theory is a new one on me too, Easto. Never heard that before...Interesting!

vix said:
I have never missed the gym due to my "cotton pony ride" each month.

Supergirl...I take a week off each month(not cuz of my period tho) I just take a week off so I do not burn out. Anyhoo...During the the week I have my period and workout, it's a MUCH shorter cycle! IE: Three day cycle ONLY.. I'll have a five day cycle if I'm NOT working out that week during my cycle! There seems to be a correlation here too.

yes.. i agree the lifting stunts it a bit, but damn girl if i try on my first day, i am so damn weak it is a joke to even be there.. Glad you don't get it as heavy... but your body loses iron when you have your period and strength does decrease..

But 3 days is way better than 5 :)

Strength most certainly does decrease. Yesterday was full-blown day one for me, and I finally dragged myself to the gym around 8 PM, after my evening class. I figured if I walked there and at least put in a little effort I'd feel better about myself and about the day.

It was my shoulder-ab-calf day, so I warmed up and started per usual. I was well-fed, pretty alert, but sluggish. Failure came early on most sets and I ended up giving up on post-workout cardio 15 minutes into it. Oh well. :) I went home feeling a little better at least.

Today I'm scheduled for just cardio (which I normally would have done right upon waking, but I hit snooze one too many times), but I don't even feel like it honestly. It's an uphill battle for me personally to get to the gym that time of month. I often have to force myself, but I hate it until I walk out of there. ;-)

Last edited:
Back