Shrugs....

Which do you prefer?

• Straight up and Down

Votes: 196 94.7%
  • Circular

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters
Circular shrugs are definitely hard on the rotator cuffs. Personally, I would advise against them.

<- tore rotator cuff doing "circular motion" on shrugs couple years ago. I never do shrugs and i have big traps. What i do though is deadlift heavy. When you lock out the deadlift, you use traps tolock out the lift. So if i deadlift 585lb, and i lock it out, my traps are gttin a workout.

JCalvin619 said:
Well, I guess everyone agrees, circular is crap. I still wonder why I see so many guys doing shrugs that way.

Why, then, does everyone who does the rotator cuff suicide way, love to tell everyone who does them straight up and down how wrong we are and how much better it is to do them circularly? Ignorance is a bitch, isn't it.

i fart and my traps grow. i havent done a shoulder workout in about 2 months, an d still have softballs.

shrugs..here is the thing (johny method)... do them 2wice a week, spaced evenly. 3-4 sets at a time. reps 6-8. now here's the thing. the first time place your hands on the bar at shoulder length and shrug normally. the second time you do them that week, use wraps to grab the bar with a palms down (towards you) grip. wrap you hands directly in front of your thighs, so your hands are only around 5-7 inches apart. if you have a bart that has the 2 smooth sections in the middle of it, you should be wrapped on the outer most part of those, so your pinky is on the edge of where it gets rough again.

enjoy the swell.

JCalvin619 said:
Well, I guess everyone agrees, circular is crap. I still wonder why I see so many guys doing shrugs that way.

Because people mistakenly feel that you are hitting more of the trap that way, which would be akin to doing a faggy wiggle while doing your bicep curls.

If you notice the guys that tend to be doing the circular shrugs look like they have never lifted a day in there life. And even if they have they go to the gym, they bench, curl and do shrugs. Oh, and even sometimes they will let you know what good form is, if they think they can help you out.

bear1 said:
If you notice the guys that tend to be doing the circular shrugs look like they have never lifted a day in there life. And even if they have they go to the gym, they bench, curl and do shrugs. Oh, and even sometimes they will let you know what good form is, if they think they can help you out.
hahaha dead on with this 1 . i hate the fat slob 13 inch arms guy and the skinny kid types or old man that try to tell you what good for is . its like "listen asshole i dont need your tips and if you must know im cheating my last couple reps going for a new record and i dont have a spotter for forced reps dickhead now go away and curl you 20lb dumbells and leave me alone " !!!

DEVILtrainer666 said:
hahaha dead on with this 1 . i hate the fat slob 13 inch arms guy and the skinny kid types or old man that try to tell you what good for is . its like "listen asshole i dont need your tips and if you must know im cheating my last couple reps going for a new record and i dont have a spotter for forced reps dickhead now go away and curl you 20lb dumbells and leave me alone " !!!

Hehehehe. Sounds like the rec center here, don't it i7????

take it from a guy whos already had a rotator cuff repair n shoulder reco (not from shrugs!) - circular motion smashes ur rotators, n is useless

yeah, people either do them just straight up or circular, whatever they usually prefer, and i definitely prefer just regular straight up shrugs. circular kills your rotator cuffs

go heavy as you can hold last rep at top.use straps if you need to .i start off shrugging 455 after a light warmup set. next set i go to 405 to failure.and keep decreasing the weight until you cant even shrug 135.this always kills my traps.

DEVILtrainer666 said:

i don't think you have to be huge and in great shape to know what ur talking abuot.. i understand what ur saying, just kinda strikes me as odd, because just as u have the fat guy/ skinny guy saying bad advice, you could have a really big guy, that doesn't really know jack either...

im not trying to be rude.. just pointing that out:)

500mg test a week+shrugs=MASSIVE traps...It wasn't till i was 18 did i get traps, and i started when i was 14 liftig, maturity thing.

yep dont do circular, im sorry to say this but the two peoples that voted for circular, wtf are u thinking.

Back