Shrugs....

Which do you prefer?

• Straight up and Down

Votes: 196 94.7%
  • Circular

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters
Honestly I was doing circular, and I didn't know it was bad for the rotator cuff or neither that the muscle wasn't suppose to flex that way... I used to do them up and down but someone told me it was better that way... and the guy was pretty big so I listened... :p

Good info!

try doing shrugs palms facing away from your body, close and wide grip.........i started doing it a little bit ago and i got really great gains from the change up.........

I perform the rep Straight up and Down. I like to pause at the top of the rep for 1-2 seconds.

I like to think I have fairly healthy shoulders and joints, but circular shrugs hurt like hell. Straight up and down for me.

IMO the best shrug workout i have done is straight up and down shrugs. Just try doing shrugs with your head down, chin on your chest. and focus on trying to touch your traps together with your head down. I have been doing the "Heads Down Approach" if you will. for the last 2 months with really good gains. Guys i know its hard not to look at yourself in the mirror, but just try it and see if it helps.

I was told to keep head straight, that way you don't create uneven gains? Coming from a pro trainer, just consideration...IMO, i would face down to seems to make them look better when i walk normal, to impress the rest

HardBody said:
I was told to keep head straight, that way you don't create uneven gains? Coming from a pro trainer, just consideration...IMO, i would face down to seems to make them look better when i walk normal, to impress the rest

I have had much better workouts with my head down. And i dont have any noticable uneven gains.

The natural motion of your traps is to elevate and retract your scalpula. So in order to get the most out of your shrugs you need to shrug up and back in one smooth motion. I totally agree with no circular motion, but disagree with the straight up and down. You need to elevate and retract your shoulders during the movement to get the full effect from your shrugs.

pipes - exactly. Muscles are stimulated by contraction (the squeeze) not rotation.

Heavy heavy weight, slow up and slightly back. Squeeze HARD for 3 seconds. Slowly down. Repeat. 8-10 max reps per set.

i didnt read a word you said, all i hear is *clap clap clap clap clap* god, thats mezmerizing *droool*
thanks bula~

when i do shrugs, i tend to have an over hand/under hand grip, which allows me to lift more weight without the bar slipping out. its been working for me, but i dont know if this is making one side different than the other. could it have much of an impact with development?

i had a guy with traps the size of cantalopes tell me that to get a good trap workout what youve gotta do is.... basically get a standard 45 lbs. bar, put your hands about 10 inches apart, and then raise the bar to eye level and hold it for 3 seconds... and do that for 3 x 8... start adding weight if needed... i tried it and holy cow.. it works :)

do you mean keep your hands straight while raising?

with shrugs, chin to the chest, head straight up, or head back? chin to the chest seems most comfortable, and you get a good squeeze, but ive heard head straight is better? opinions??

bula said:
pipes - exactly. Muscles are stimulated by contraction (the squeeze) not rotation.

Heavy heavy weight, slow up and slightly back. Squeeze HARD for 3 seconds. Slowly down. Repeat. 8-10 max reps per set.

I have never seen anyone with good traps do shrugs in a slow controlled motion. Everyone i have seen does heavy deads, are either completely juiced to the gills ( i mean the big dose guys ) or do ultra heavy explosive shrugs, or power shrugs. I was turned on to these by some powerlifters on the boards, and their is not comparison whatsoever to a standing strict shrug. This is just my observation as some people just have naturally big traps, but IMO you will not obtain them by doins strict dumbell or barbells shrugs. Everything i have ever heard or seen shows the muscles of the upper back respond much better to heavy explosive lifting.

skip shrugs and do deadlifts, shrugs are an injury waiting to happen. Deadlifting is more beneficial anyway.

Back