Shrugs....

Which do you prefer?

• Straight up and Down

Votes: 196 94.7%
  • Circular

Votes: 11 5.3%

• Total voters

JCalvin619

Time and time again I see guys doing shrugs with the circular motion. It looks like an unatural movement and real hard on the rotator cuf. I always go straight up, squeeze and slow down. Anyone have any comments on the circular shrug?

Yep rotating is hard on the rotator cuff and doesn't do any better trap development. It would be like swinging your arms left to right while doing concentration curls :)

Shrugs suck anyhow, as a way to massive Traps. I envy the holy shit out of guys who can built massive softballs on top of their delts w/ just that exercise. That's a sign of good genetics to say the least.

SkedMedz said:
Shrugs suck anyhow, as a way to massive Traps. I envy the holy shit out of guys who can built massive softballs on top of their delts w/ just that exercise. That's a sign of good genetics to say the least.

I think shrugs are a great excersize. Combining shrugs with powerlifting like cleans, deads, etc. has given me outstanding trap size.

JCalvin619 said:
I think shrugs are a great excersize. Combining shrugs with powerlifting like cleans, deads, etc. has given me outstanding trap size.

They suck for me I should say. I can't build Trapezius size without compound lifts. Cleans work well for me especially. If I just did shrugs(which some say is the core of their trap routine), I would be lacking severely in that area. Shrugs are just a shaping lift imo. Similar to pec-dec for chest, or Extensions for Quads. I do know guys who have killer traps though who only do shrugs. What I'm saying, is that that in no way is a reflection of their use as a basic mass builder, but rather on that persons superior genetics in that muscle reigon.

Hehe my traps explode on me if I do to much trap work. Usually 2 or 3 sets of db shrugs and bb shrugs a week and I'm set.

Man just when I thought I knew everything you needed to know. I never knew about circular shrugs, going to try it out next workout. Just for kicks.

zwarrior99 said:
Man just when I thought I knew everything you needed to know. I never knew about circular shrugs, going to try it out next workout. Just for kicks.

Maybe try reading the Thread next time bro? They are terror to your rotator cuffs. That was the whole point of this Thread I believe.

SkedMedz said:
They suck for me I should say. I can't build Trapezius size without compound lifts. Cleans work well for me especially. If I just did shrugs(which some say is the core of their trap routine), I would be lacking severely in that area. Shrugs are just a shaping lift imo. Similar to pec-dec for chest, or Extensions for Quads. I do know guys who have killer traps though who only do shrugs. What I'm saying, is that that in no way is a reflection of their use as a basic mass builder, but rather on that persons superior genetics in that muscle reigon.

I completetly agree, if you have lacking traps, you have to do power shrugs deads and cleans, basic isolation shrugs are pretty fucking useless IMO if you don't have great genetics, and if you do your traps will probably look the same if you didn't do them. I try to tell everyone to at least try power shrugs, they are fucking awesome. My training partner thanks me every day for teaching him deads, his traps finally started growing, and now look prettty damn good.

zwarrior99 said:

Bro just think about it, the muscle doesn't even work that way. I am not even sure you really activate the traps when doing them, you just grind the joint over and over again, This hurts me just thinking about it.

HUH???

Circular aren't that bad.

You really pinch the interior lats and traps. If you're doing them slowly your rotator cuff will be fine. Just lift up and then roll down and back for the negative. What generally hurts your rotator cuff is the opposite motion, when the front of the shoulder is put under sudden pressure. Rolling your shoulders back stretches your chest and shoulders but will create growth through the negative motion.

Yo JCP2 what the fuck are power shrugs bro, i've been shruggin like a motha with very little to show for all my grunting and effort. Enlighten me with this movement, I would like to see my traps grow too

You really pinch the interior lats and traps. If you're doing them slowly your rotator cuff will be fine. Just lift up and then roll down and back for the negative. What generally hurts your rotator cuff is the opposite motion, when the front of the shoulder is put under sudden pressure. Rolling your shoulders back stretches your chest and shoulders but will create growth through the negative motion.

How?

If you actually wish to work the lower portion of your traps (3&4) you should simply incline your torso.

WTF are interior lats?

And if the weight is pulling vertically, how will moving your shoulders horizontally affect the concentric portion of the lift?

Back