Something a little different...

RJ

On Vacation
I've had a lot of guys ask me what i am doing in regards to training lately, so although these are typically started in regards to BBing/PLing and AAS use, I figured some of you may be interested. If not, go fuck yourself.

Anyway, little bio. Been training BBing style since 1991. Started at 155lbs. Best overall maintenance shape was 247lbs @ ~9-10%BF. Competed and took the SHW class in the 2007 NPC Georgia State Championships. Currently ~235lbs, if I had to guess... 11-13%.

Had a son last October and decided i was tired of walking around being outta breath walking up and down stairs and tying my shoes, so I started looking for ways to incorporate more a healthy approach to my training.

Started with lighter weight, higher reps. That sucked. Switch to moderate weight, short rest periods. That was ok. Tried CrossFit back in April. 6 weeks of bodyweight workouts were great for endurance and cardio, but I felt weak as piss. Went back to the iron. Ate shitty, got chubby (for me).

So, at the start of October, decided to give it another try after more research. After 6 weeks felt the same way. Weak. Talked to some CF gurus and found a nice little program to incorporate strength into the CF programming. Due to the nature of the programming, alot of my numbers are low, as the design is to increase by 5-10lbs every week on the big lifts, with MetCon stuff added a few days as well. Here's a breakdown of the program.

http://www.70sbig.com/files/Articles/Lascek_S&CP_v2.0.pdf

note - you BBing guys will see stuff on here that you may think is weird (kipping pullups) or you aren't sure of. Remember the idea of the MetCons (metabolic conditioning) is short bursts of maximum intensity coupled with the strength programming. I feel 100% better already after 1 week and already feel a bit tighter throughout.

also, I will be following a modified Paleo diet during this program. Adding carbs only with .5 cups Oats mid-AM and PWO.

Started last week:

11/22

Squat - 335x5x3
Press - 185x5x3
Pullups - 16/14/12

11/23

Cleans (amazingly, first time ever doing these. My tech sucks. LOL) - 185x3x5]
Dips - 30/22/13

MetCon

15-12-9

Pull Ups
65lb DB Swings
Burpees

Time - 5:20

11/26

Squats - 335x5x3
Bench - 315x5x3
Dips - 26/17/14

MetCon

Cann't remember what I did. lol

11/27

Deadlifts - 405x1x1
Pull Ups - 17/14/11

MetCon

"Diane"

21-15-9

225lbs Deadlifts
HSPU (hand stand push ups)

Time - 9:00

*this was dumb after doing deadlifts already. And HSPUs suck ass for anyone my size.

11/29

Squats - 345x5x3
Press - 190x5x3
Pull Ups - 17/14/12

11/30

Cleans - 195x3x5 - Tech still not 100%, but getting better. I may work on this today or Saturday.
Dips - 30/23/14

MetCon

Box Jump/Clapping Push Ups Ladder
10/1
9/2
2/9
1/10

Basically you do 10 box jumps (24inch box), then 1 clapping push up. Then 9 box jumps and 2 clapping push ups. And so on. Lemme tell you. 10 clapping push ups was a bear. lol

Time - 7:03

I'll do my best to keep up with this. Hopefully I can make gains for a while. :D

Last edited:
Interesting. I have never really heard about this type of training (metabolic conditioniong). Definitely interesting in seeing what kind of gains you get and how you feel throughout the whole process. G'luck!!!!

Military training Special Forces train like this. I think I have seen something similar on UFC training, I like this method, I can Imagine the strength and endurance I can achieve from all this, I WILL INCORPORATE this method,

Man I must have done something right with those cleans on Tuesday cause my damn back is sore as fuck still. Awesome feeling.

Here is last nights workout:

12/2

Warm Up to work sets

Squats - 355x5x3
Bench - 320x5x3
Dips - 31/26/16

MetCon

3 rounds:

20 Air Squats (every 5th one do a 24" box jump)
15 pushups
10 pullups
5 Burpee Box Jumps

Time - 5:21

*thought those air squats were gonna be the easy part but fuck they smoked us.

Had a 2300 calorie lunch today for my 3rd meal... man was that badass!! :D

Nice work RJH. occaisionaly i am tempted to try something like that or Crossfit, but so far haven't. i did those airsquats with a buddy at the gym about a yaer ago and i fukkin KILLED myself - LOL - never again. Mind u this other dude was a PE teacher who was 27y.o.! hahahahaha i thought it would help me doing jumps in the terrain park when i go skiing, but I have since decided that ski jumps are too hard on the knees and I'll be happy with just not wiping out. (it was pretty fun tho...)

grats on the baby boy last october - so 2 months old? that's when i quite working out and took 10 years to get back to it. Worst decision of my life, but i was so tired and somehow i figured that exercise was "selfish" What a stoopid ass thot that was! now my daughter is 14 and son 12 - they think exercise is a part of "normal life" so hoping that sticks with them.

BTW - what the hell did u eat for 2300 cals? 3 big macs? LOl - R u going to the excaliber this weekend?

BTW - what the hell did u eat for 2300 cals? 3 big macs? LOl - R u going to the excaliber this weekend?

2 quad stackers from BK and a med fries. My fav fast food choice. lol

12/3

Deads - 415x5x1
Pull Ups - 13/9/9 (chins) - started doing dead hangs on these. don't know why i was kipping.

MetCon

3 reps - 315lb Deadlift
7 Burpees (wearing 20lb pack)

Time - 3:57

12/4

"Disposable Heroes"

Run 400m
40m Lunges
25 Push Ups
25 Knees to Elbows
25 Burpee Pull Ups

Time - 27:35

12/5 - Off

Im following

I been asked by a friend to start training with him at a Renzo Gracie MMA/JUJITSU spot and was possibly going to try it this winter and changing my style of training to something like this.
This is very physically/mentally taxing this type of training,good stuff RJ bro's will definitely benefit from this.
Training like this the gains of strength/tork and raw power will be amazing.
Good luck Im following

Im following

I been asked by a friend to start training with him at a Renzo Gracie MMA/JUJITSU spot and was possibly going to try it this winter and changing my style of training to something like this.
This is very physically/mentally taxing this type of training,good stuff RJ bro's will definitely benefit from this.
Training like this the gains of strength/tork and raw power will be amazing.
Good luck Im following

no shit. I haven't felt this taxed to my CNS in a while... certainly not after 3 weeks. lol

no shit. I haven't felt this taxed to my CNS in a while... certainly not after 3 weeks. lol

i was doing crossfit a couple times a week this past summer into the fall.....its waaay more taxing than anything....and my muscles felt worked pumped almost more so than any workout........

and you dont get used to the shit regardless of how long you do it for, cardio endurance for sure will benefit/increase...but fuck man when its over, there is a bunch of guys sitting or collapsed on the mats..

rj you are a big dude, its a bit more difficult for us bigger weight lifters considering the oxygen demands are greater.....keep it up!

rj you are a big dude, its a bit more difficult for us bigger weight lifters considering the oxygen demands are greater.....keep it up!

sure is, but i love that it never gets easier. giving 100% max effort is harder than most think... especially at my size.

x4! Did you get a BK hangover from that??? That's what i call a dirty bulk! LOL - good for you, now eat your damned chicken breasts!

you know, everyone always wonders how I can eat the way I do and stil remain relatively lean. lol

I always say the more beef you got on ya, the more you can eat!! Besides, I eat pretty strict the whole week. So when i cheat... I CHEAT!!

12/6

Squats - 365x5x3 went up 10lbs this week by accident (maybe my subconscious doesn't like the 2.5lbs plates. :D)

Press - 195x5x3 - this was rough. again had to use a bit of a push press the last set, but i figure I'm slinging enough weight, a little cheat won't matter. gonna try to push 200lbs OH next week. Should be interesting.

All these UPs are dead hangs from now on

Pull Ups - 15
Chins - 13
Pull Ups - 10
Chins - 14

Most dead hangs I've done in a while. And the most I've ever done at this weight. I'm asking Santa for a weighted vest for Xmas so i can start doing weighted pull ups. :D

Getting a lil bit of a cold. See if I can sweat it out today. Rest day on Wednesday.

All these UPs are dead hangs from now on

Pull Ups - 15
Chins - 13
Pull Ups - 10
Chins - 14

Most dead hangs I've done in a while. And the most I've ever done at this weight. I'm asking Santa for a weighted vest for Xmas so i can start doing weighted pull ups. :D

G

Best all around strength and back exercise is the weighted P up.
I like the dip belt and the way the weight sits/hangs over the weighted vest but there is so much more where you can use the vest

Best all around strength and back exercise is the weighted P up.
I like the dip belt and the way the weight sits/hangs over the weighted vest but there is so much more where you can use the vest

yep. i have always used a dip belt, but like you said the vest allows for much more.

we did those weighted burpees the other day and I about died. lol

RJ, good for you for trying something different. That looks a lot like what I was doing a few years ago when my main focus was mountain biking and running.
It's definitely a tough ass type of workout especially at your size. Have you noticed any vein growth/visibility from these workouts? These high intensity functional strength workouts really made my veins pop, but hey yours probably were before right?

A cool site that I used to check out for new ideas for this type of work is Gym Jones - Power, Speed, Endurance, Suffering and Salvation

These guys are pretty hardcore compared to the crossfit crowd. Maybe a little over the top sometimes but I found some good info there.

good luck, keep us posted

A cool site that I used to check out for new ideas for this type of work is Gym Jones - Power, Speed, Endurance, Suffering and Salvation

These guys are pretty hardcore compared to the crossfit crowd. Maybe a little over the top sometimes but I found some good info there.

good luck, keep us posted

thanks man, they seem a little arrogant, but thats fine with me cuz their bios seem to be able to back it up.

Have been outta the gym sick all week. First day back today. Only about 90% as I still have alot of congestion in my chest/head. Over did it a little but felt good to be back.

12/11

"Murph"

Run 1 mile (7:30, not bad for a fatty)
100 Pull Ups
200 Push Ups
300 Squats
Run 1 Mile (8:50)

Time: 49:30

What a fucking ass kicker!!

Due to the nature of the programming, alot of my numbers are low,
Having tried similar workouts before, I was thinking the exact opposite of this.

thanks man, they seem a little arrogant, but thats fine with me cuz their bios seem to be able to back it up.
I think they got the toughguy syndrome after they trained the cast of "300". They definitely know their shit but most of them are 160lb rock climbers. I just found it interesting how a lot of the stuff transfers very well to different goals/body types.

Back