Traps.neck

shaggz

M whole body is pretty decent, but I really lack traps a lot, and woudl be nice to have a thicker neck.

i do shrugs(dumbell), push presses, upright rows(wide grip). any thign else i can throw in that that might help out?

ive heard doing neck exercises are bad for your neck, and only football players shoudl use them cause they need them for the sport.
are they bad for you?

neck exercises aren't bad for you, but honestly neck mm are pretty small anyway, just keep your focus on traps.

what does your trap routine look like? Heavy DL + barbell shrugs FTW

try doing your upright rows w a narrow grip it will work the traps more the wide grip hits the shoulders more. Also mix up ur trap training w barbell, dumbell, machine, upright rows and even uprigth rows on the cable. You can use supersets of upright rows and barbell shrugs to really pump up the muscle

Shrugs as often as possible. The secret: KEEP PUSHING YOUR CHIN TO YOUR CHEST (like you wanna touch your collar bone); I had a really long neck, this got my traps become MASSIVE. I mean, they were soooo big, I could scratch my ears with them

Nothing beats heavy, heavy shrugs for trap development (well maybe deadlifts). All other exercises will pale in comparison.

deads put mostly weight on you lower back... right? my lower back is getting huge right now from doing squats and pushpress alone(on a test cycle)...i dont know if I want any thicker cause i want my waist-to-lats to have the V look.
Ive gained 3.. nearly 4 inches on my stomach/lower back already in 4th week of my cycle.

what if i did shrugs on 2 of my splits instead of just 1? thats 4 days out of a week doing shrugs.

good/bad idea?

Last edited:
I don't think 4x week is going to do you any favours

Heavy DL will help put on quality mass all your body, esp traps!!

heavy shrugs and deads twice a week is heaps, you gotta let your body recover to grow too

tman55 said:

damn, I thought you did shrugs for sure, your traps are massive.

I deadlift and do shrugs, I don't to shrugs so much for mass but more so that when I'm cut i'm there is a clear seperation between traps and back. I think that looks crazy.

outlawtas2 said:
damn, I thought you did shrugs for sure, your traps are massive.

I deadlift and do shrugs, I don't to shrugs so much for mass but more so that when I'm cut i'm there is a clear seperation between traps and back. I think that looks crazy.

haven't done shrugs consistently in years, probably as far back as the 80's. Deads makes mine grow fine but I can see how shrugs can also work. Alot of that is genetics imo.

Back